Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel, thanks for your generous response to my speaker inquiries and also for that link to the 1944 stereo recording done by Helmut Kruger in Berlin. That truly is beautiful.

The thing one can hear is the air raid big guns in the background. I feel they were the only Germans who coud have one foot in Heaven that day. There is a Karajan Bruckner 9th recorded on my birthday 1944 played in 1945. I think it was the last thing ever played on Nazi radio. Bing Crosby invested money to make that machine you hear. It became Ampex. Before that Bing used 20 inch 33 1/3 ( I shared part of an award fror transcribing those, I built the whole transcription machinery. Andy Pearce of Masterpiece did the production and was generous enough to say the equipement was key to sucess. The turntable a Garrard 501 which is my design based on a 301/401 hybrid with larger motor made in house and low distortion AC PSU. Andy had a 401 and found the money to have a 501. The 501 is just about cheap enough to get past the accountants, That's recording studio cheap rather than hi fi cheap ). Bing it is said needed to do 3 shows at different times of the day as the USA is a big place. He made plenty of money from Ampex, said to be more than from singing!

I joined this forum telling Dejan ferrofluid could be OK and why. I accepted he might have a point. I described some wood the German ICE train uses and people laughed and said " bullet proof wood ". I knew I was off to a good start.

I recently found the best wood for my baffles was expanded polystyrene. Only problem is I have no idea how to make it durable and how to make it easy to fix drivers to it. I gave in and did it the old way using ply ( with MDF, 4 x 2 foot x 1/2 = 1 inch thick ). It seems to me ply is bad news as it stores energy. Not bad enough to be a failiure. Funny thing is the polystyrene has plenty of bass. It is not an overly damped material which I feel helps.

Given how many gratuitous attacks have been made on me, the local threshold must actually be pretty high.

I wonder. Did you have a rotten Christmas ? I very nearly did due to someone trying to kill himself and also trying to help someone face cancer. I did what was right in my book. I feel totally drained.

I spend most of my life forcing a conversation which must favour the subjective. I know very often I am on thin ice. I do it because I like to speak the truth. That is every avenue possible has been argued. Argued it often has to be.

With Jan I was forced to be more accurate when describing FET's. I suspect it was word games on his part. It was helpful to argue that as my lazy explanation was exactly that. To totally accept his statement left an elephant in the room. However he is 90 % right to put a figure on it. Dejan (Dvv ) thinks the 10% is not a false elephant although with MOS FET's there would still be a baby elephant in the room to his mind.

Expanded polystyrene - was once commonly used as thermal insulation - but has largely been replaced by closed-cell foam batts. This material, mounted on a stiffening grid of hard wood along with a strengthening mount/s for the driver/s, may have similar sound-insulation qualities to your expanded-polystyrene.

Or sub-baffles glued to expanded polystyrene (Jablite?) could also do the job; but you have probably tested that idea.

Expanded polystyrene - was once commonly used as thermal insulation - but has largely been replaced by closed-cell foam batts. This latter material, mounted on a stiffening grid of hard wood along with a strengthening mount/s for the driver/s, may have similar sound-insulation qualities to your expanded-polystyrene.

Or sub-baffles glued to expanded polystyrene (Jablite?) could also do the job; but you have probably tested that idea.

It was from DIY chain Wick. I have even thought of polystyrene and platerboard with a simple wood picture frame in a u section to hold it together. Then plaster board fixings could be used. Perhaps PVA to bond the two.

I saw a Gypsy Moth Biplane wing. That looked very possible. I would use cotton and dope as it is cheaper.

The self-delusion, myth and even libel that is being expounded here is that audio engineers don't listen to live music and use their listening experiences for a reference in their work.

Take for example engineers that also have years of experience recording live music, such as myself...
What did-we record in a studio, if it is not "Live music", if you don't go for RAP and house 'Music ?', that kind of thingq ?
All (without any exceptions) of my colleges and sound engineer friends have chosen this Job because they loved music. The main occasion for all of us to meet us was ... in various concerts.
On my side, I was in change, during several years of the biggest PA system in France, touring across all Europa for a lot of groups and artists.

Friendly advice - Quit making technical mistakes. Learn how to deal with people that don't believe identically the same as you.
Despite it was not addressed to me, I was shocked by this. First, you cannot (If you are a gentleman) say to somebody "technical mistake". You better demonstrate why, and provide the correct solution... But that goes with your second sentence "Don't believe" ...
I wonder why Objectivist Ayatollahs all feel invested with a mission of evangelization and why they show such aggressive attitude.
It seems correct to me to use mathematics and known laws of physics, when you design, and your...feelings, when you listen. Because if the first ones had demonstrated they works, you cannot demonstrate that we all "Listen" the same way (and I'm sure of the contrary).
The "blind listening" sea snake is boring. It is all about human psychology. If you are clever, you are suspicious, doubtful etc... When we have to make a decision with anything related to this "make believe" game that HiFI is, the best method is: the fastest, the lighter, the more efficient... for you. Depending on the circumstances. And what works for you doesn't not necessary work for others (speaking about methods).

You better demonstrate why, and provide the correct solution...
Despite it was not addressed to me, what good will that do when you are "too lazy to look at it longer than 10 seconds"?
The "blind listening" sea snake is boring. It is all about human psychology.
Are you sure that's all it is about?
When we have to make a decision with anything related to this "make believe" game that HiFI is, the best method is: the fastest, the lighter, the more efficient... for you.
What is your definition of hi-fi? I'm asking because I wanted to know if we are on the same page.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
But look at some of the other traits of Aspergers
-doesn’t understand the give-and-take of conversation
-does not empathize with or seems insensitive to others’ feeling
-may have an intense obsession with one or two specific, narrow subjects

I think there are many people with some of these traits on the forum. And in any engineering environment they can be a significant percentage.

What is your definition of hi-fi? I'm asking because I wanted to know if we are on the same page.
My HiFi definition ? A strange attempt to make-you believe in your living room that you are somewhere else, listening to a concert in various halls.
It use a very complex technology, mostly build with strings* and paper**.

I believe, yes, that WE are not on the same page. me, trying my best to make this illusion "believable" for myself, and, if possible, others, by all the ways i can imagine ... and you ... fighting for the strict compliance with each and every word of the " Great Book of Illusions" ?

But please, don't be too rude against me, it is not an easy way to walk between the syndicates of snake oil sellers and the hordes of fundamentalists ;-)

* Speaker's coils.
** Speaker's cones.

Last edited:
I know John. No Asperger's. He's just very smart and doesn't put up with nonsense.
I don't know Jneutron personnaly, but we have exchanged about cables impedance, that sort of things... I found he was VERY knowledgeable, a perfect scientist. I had learned things from him, and think he is a very open minded and nice fellow, indeed. In fact, a brilliant spirit, on my opinion.

But look at some of the other traits of Aspergers
-doesn’t understand the give-and-take of conversation
-does not empathize with or seems insensitive to others’ feeling
-may have an intense obsession with one or two specific, narrow subjects
Those are what I meant when I said resembles, which you can see from this page on.

I think there are many people with some of these traits on the forum. And in any engineering environment they can be a significant percentage.
You should be able to distinguish the engineering talk and engineering talk via Asperger resembling behavior.

My HiFi definition ? A strange attempt to make-you believe in your living room that you are somewhere else, listening to a concert in various halls.
It use a very complex technology, mostly build with strings* and paper**.

I believe, yes, that WE are not on the same page. me, trying my best to make this illusion "believable" for myself, and, if possible, others, by all the ways i can imagine ... and you ... fighting for the strict compliance with each and every word of the " Great Book of Illusions" ?
Miscommunication leads to conflict. If you want to avoid miscommunication, please study up on the definition of high fidelity (hi-fi) in sound reproducing technology.

But please, don't be too rude against me
Rude, you mean like the quote below?
"Second question: If you have difficulties to feel the differences between two gears at 20 second of time's difference, I can see only 3 reasons.
1- You have a memory of a red fish, time to consult.
2- You are deaf or do not know what to listen.
"

Status
Not open for further replies.