Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
you spoil all the fun :)

Aside: I used to work in aerospace. Some of the best designers there, 30 years man and boy types couldn't even dress themselves properly (pyjamas still on under trousers in one case) and should not have been allowed access to scissors or knives.

I believe these days they have been collected together at Roke Manor.

What did-we record in a studio, if it is not "Live music", if you don't go for RAP and house 'Music ?', that kind of thingq ?
All (without any exceptions) of my colleges and sound engineer friends have chosen this Job because they loved music. The main occasion for all of us to meet us was ... in various concerts.
On my side, I was in change, during several years of the biggest PA system in France, touring across all Europa for a lot of groups and artists.

It's almost impossible not to hear live music in a recording situation.

please study up on the definition of high fidelity (hi-fi) in sound reproducing technology.
Did-you mean MY definition should have less value than an other one, because YOU prefer the other one ? Or are-you referring to some secret and superior authority who preside at this kind of human activity ?
Hi-Fi is not a science, it is just a commercial label.
The same type of relationship with the laws of physics than "fashion" with the need to protect ourselves from the cold.

Oh ! "You" was not addressed to your person, so, if you keep a little sens of humor, and consider the logic of the analysis in a neutral way, you cannot feel this as "rude" in any way. If you prefer, replace this "You" by "We".

I used to tell my trainees: "Think by yourself, do not take what others are saying to granted, whoever they are, and always try to see things from an angle that is unique to you."

Last edited:
Did-you mean MY definition should have less value than an other one, because YOU prefer the other one ?

Which definition of High Fidelity is the standard definition from dictionaries?

Turning an abstract question about the agreed upon meaning of a common phase into a personal disagreement seems a little hyper-dramatic, doesn't it?

Or are-you referring to some secret and superior authority who preside at this kind of human activity ?

Umm, that secret authority called just about every English Language dictionary?

Hi-Fi is not a science, it is just a commercial label.

The above appears to be what you need to believe to be happy. Enjoy!

Audio, a closely related term, is generally considered to be the combination of Art and Science.

It seems safe to say that without science, High Fidelity as we know it would not exist.

Deaf, Blind, Asperger's. Everyboby is more or less these things.

Anyone who spends time here must be somewhere on the Asperger's scale? Me ? Absolutely.

All men are Asperger's say some women ( a put down, lack of multi-tasking skills ). It is covered up by liking the usual things like football and silly hi fi. It is said less women are Asperger's. Not true. They hide it better. I know more Asperger's women than men. Reason being I like women I suspect. The multi-tasking mask hides the condition.

I want to tell how a little piece of electronics can make or destroy my day ( very Asperger's ). I bought a little SM PSU for $5. Very nice I must say. It has every voltage from 3 to 12V at 600 mA. I have a little radio that eats batteries and dumps it's memory. Other than that it's great and switches off when I go to sleep ( and still it eats batteries ). It has a 3VDC input that is non standard. So Pearson thinks, I will build a diode OR gate to solve this. Battery to Schotkey and 1N4007 for the PSU ( the Schotkey does leak about 10mV, The 1N4007 also prevents wrong polarity which is easilly done using the usual polarity plug which I use as an input socket, all very neat ). It works great and by happy a chance the voltages are exactly right as the 3V is 3V3. I had 4.5V so could have made is so regarless. In my hurry to remove the socket I didn't consider the logic of the three terminals. There was a very big risk of destroying the radio. I hooked it up right which took me 30 minutes of permutations that was fairly obvious and nothing happened. I had been further into the circuit than one should and convinced myself I had killed a healthy patient. It was just about to go in the bin when I noticed a light come on. I found by accident the next available point to connect to. I felt such a fool. I have done this all my life and completely messed up. My old boss wrote on my CV. " Nigel is a real world problem solver ". I would say " real life problem maker ".

I worked my way through a very dangerous valve amplifier design that took me 6 months. The little radio PSU was more trouble albeit I caused it.

About Asperger's. An Asperger's person can learn the skills to be run of the mill. However a run of the mill person can never learn to be Asperger's. Some Asperger's children when tested can show 300% better hearing. This will makes them feel other people are deaf. I know this as there is a test going on in Oxford. I met the people. Asperger's often become scientists because all of life is a mystery and not just e=mcc. They find problem solving just day to day life. My two children are Asperger's. so I must be. No on every took the time to tell me.

Hi fi very badly put by me

A dynamic range of > 40 dB , 60 dB if possible.

Distortion of < 1 % if exponential harmonics for the whole system ( unlikely ).

Distortion for whole system of <0.1 % if untidy harmonics ( fat chance )

Power output > 5 watts, 100 ideal. Never have 20 watts, it usually ruins an amplifer if tube.

15 Hz to 17 kHz - 3 dB or better. 40 kHz is nice to have. Although I no longer can hear > 17 kHz I can hear a super-tweeter in use. It is softer although brighter. I use a isodynamic ribbon type made by Swan. It has output at 60 kHz ( - 20 dB at a guess ).

I don't think tube amps are better than transistors. I suspect tube designers listen more than others.

Have some fun, do it in German. I only ever follow the DIN 45500. Mine is a softer version. 15 Hz is the bigger hi fi thing you need.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Fidelity

As a hifi designer, I cannot agree more ... if you agree the important part of "Art" in this technological discipline.

For the most part, the "Art" parts of audio exist IME because of gaps in the science part.

It is only a tiny part of the audio market that sees sound quality as being just personal preference, minimal science.

As audio has evolved, most people's preference in sound quality aligns well with the science.

For example, compare and contrast the percentages of audio products that have flat frequency response, as either the only option, or the default option.

I remember me discoving hifi like this. I looked at a record and thouht how can that sound be captured in here. I understood one thing. It wasn't rally meant to be. The engineers must have thought " why not try ". I suspect it was for them alone to know and to enjoy.The cost to us no greater because they did. How wonderful is that? They had very good sounds in 78 to say to them it should work. I have an AES book ( two in fact like the Bible in size ) of all the devellopements in vinyl. Most is about ceramic pick ups. The maths for those wildly complex. MM and MC for the hobists and not much written apart from say they worked very well. From reading that I always supected the best pickup would be ceramic if the ideas had been pushed further. Some were made and were expensive. They usually called themselves other things.

Andrew I got into trouble with my friends because I liked the lasar turntable. They thought I was being a traitor ( I was asked please not to say it as of all things I think I am trusted when vinyl ). They wanted me to say traditional is best. Sorry guys I don't accept that. I have helped make a good turntable. I like the one I didn't make more. 55 dB St o N was a problem. Sounded better than that to me. It had all the classical traits of vinyl only more so. Real space and warmth. No stylus harshness. A happy sound. Doubless distortion, or whatever. Also you could choose the grove position to get the best sound.

One thing I do like is SE valve amps. The problem is the output impedance is high. This will change the frequency response.

I also prefer response at 2 metres. Tannoy taught me that as they feel at 1 metre the Tannoy will be dreadful. I think that has improved with time when Tannoy. It was Linn who helped them ! I saw the machine Linn made for them as it was being made.

Last time I looked speakers were audio products and they rarely have flat frequency response if taken as a whole.

Taken as a whole, no real world audio component has flat frequency response. They all have bass and treble roll-offs.

So what to make of speakers?

(1) Their vendors as a rule try to make us believe they have flat response over a useful frequency range. So speakers with a flat frequency response is generally the ideal, if not the reality.

(2) Some speakers actually do have have flat (on axis) response over a useful frequency range. Speakers with a flat frequency response over a useful range can be a the reality.

Not all components are speakers, and in this day and age, a fair proportion of audio systems don't even have them, so put it all together and speakers don't seem to spoil my claim.

I liked the idea of the non contact stylus. Laser beams and capacitance variation spring to mind.

Either alternative have inherent noise problems because they don't sweep the groove and push dust out ot the way, and they don't smash it down, they play it.

The best known and probably most widely sold non-contact LP player was the ELP, and it became common knowledge that the best way to use it was to transcribe LPs to digital and then do digital domain noise reduction.

I wonder if the laser beam became the kernel that led to the optical recoder?

More like the reverse.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Agreed.

Great example: where I was insulted and *corrected* when I pointed out a minor discrepancy in a test jig. Even after the proprietor of the test jig agreed with the new analysis, the malefactor continued to persist in his error.

Another example, the wealth of insults that I have received from a well known industry figure because he didn't like my posts to other people that he apparently holds sacred.

If you are mystified as to why I spend so much time here spouting sarcastic comments bordering on insults, maybe you need a little sensitivity training so that you actually put on your man pants and take exception to just a few of the gratuitous insults that I have to deal with.

As they say, love is blind.

Could be. I always thought that in 20+ years since last century 1990-ies usenet there should have been a lot of learning opportunities. Apparently not.
What you sow is what you reap.

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.