Sony XM-7547, no output, help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, i tried as you stated Perry. The 1 ohm 10 watt resistor did not get hot, the transformer barely got warm after 1 minute.

Could i check the voltage on the secondary windings? If so, (with black led on the center if the secondary windings and red on the outer windings I'm only getting 2 mv to 14 mv from the secondary windings. I'm i getting these readings because i don't have rectifiers on the secondary windings?

Yes i have continuity between all three primary windings and same for the secondary windings.

I wish i knew how to do add the extra windings on one of the main transformers. I know i have to use magnet enamel copper wire (16g to 20g)? But then would i add rectifiers/fusible resistors? Or just send the windings straight to where the secondary windings where on the board?

You don't need anything larger than 20g. Start with 5+5 windings. You will connect the center-tap from those 10 windings to the center tap of the secondary for the small transformer. The two other windings will go into the two points where the ±15v output from the small transformer were connected.

When you state that you had continuity, did you essentially read 0 ohms for all windings?

When you state that you had continuity, did you
essentially read 0 ohms for all windings?

Yes, my meter read 0.2ohms due to the leads having a .2 ohm resistance.

Is there any good sites where i can learn more on how to wind a transformer, I've never done it but don't get me wrong i want to learn. I have a basic understanding on how they work. I'll look at a smaller amp's transformer (one with few windings) so i can clearly understand how they are turned (clockwise, counter clockwise, ect. <---this is where am lost.)

The way the windings are wrapped are not very important for this low-current application. Wind 5 turns. Wind another 5 turns in the same direction. The two wires that are closest to each other from the two individual windings will be the center-tap.

You may want to insert a current limiting resistor in the center-tap in case something in the circuit that it's driving is shorted.

I'll order some 20g magnet wire, I'll give it a try.... Once i try it...i should be able to measure the ac voltage....right?

What type of waveform should it have?

I have to have -15/+15 and -35/+ 35, so am assuming I'll need 4 wires that will be turned one pair with more turns (the higher voltage). I hope i got it right.

Does this look right? forgot on the diagram the current limit resistor but it will be added.
2012-12-20-17-23-48_zps5ce03850.jpg

The green dots are the via holes for the secondary windings for the small transformer.

Last edited:
Just wind the 5+5 for now. I don't know if the voltage is going to be right so you may have to re-wind them. I'm assuming that you are only showing one winding from each the high and low voltage windings.

It should be a square wave that swings to approximately ±15v.

I don't know if your meter will read the AC voltage on it.

. I'm assuming that you are only showing
one winding from each the high and low voltage
windings.

Correct, i didn't want to do all four because I'll overlap the turns on the sketch and might confuse you.

I don't know if your meter will read the AC voltage
on i

How come, its a fluke 111 rms. It reads the voltage on all the transformers I've checked.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.