Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

Nelson keeps his comments on the sound of his amps short and sweet and so will I after listening for many hours for 2 days after finding the right preamplifier to use with it.

AMAZING.

This comes from someone that has built 4 of the other FW offerings and many tube builds including a 45 tube SET and 300B SET. I can count 11 amps I own in just one room. I was one of the nerds of the 70's and 80's that looked forward to reading the reviews of different amps in the audio magazines that flourished at the time and wondering how they would sound with my horns.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We have the parts on order. They should arrive in a few days. A week at most. That gives us almost enough time to make up the kits while waiting for the VFETs. Papa says he'll have the next batch tested and matched by mid- September. Then 3 or 4 days to ship to our assembly place, then our hope is that the kits will be waiting, finished except for the VFETs. Then they pop the VFETs in which will take a couple of days.
Then shipped to the order fulfillment center which takes a week. Plus a couple of days to receive and stock them in their inventory. So end of September if everything goes smoothly.

Last edited:
In this order of questions, The mine is related to the target current in the matching the drivers: K2013/J313. Could anybody give their values? Ids with Vgs.

Regards to everybody.

I did not bother doing it. Those things are expensive. Nelson said it does not need to be done so I took him at his word. By the way I have one channel using the K2013/J313 and the other the Fairchild's. No problem, I cannot tell the difference. I had to use the Fairchild's for one channel because I mangled the K2013/J313's so bad testing and removing them that I could not use them again.

Hi, I also received my package after customs finally stopped sending it around Germany and finally decided that it belongs to me. Great quality, thanks to all involved and especially to Nelson! I'll be waiting for the supplemental kit while considering how I want to build it finally.
Martin

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I experimented with a buffer between my tube pre and the V-fet last night. It worked and made the tube pre usable but the amp lost it's magic with the tube pre. With this amplifier I much prefer a SS pre, more precisely my BA3 front end as a pre, than my tube pre I like better with my other FW clone amps. Obvious to me is this amp does not need the tube pre to take the SS edge off with users of horns. The SS sound that is talked about in the debate of SS vs Tube gear is not there with this amp.

If you need a pre with this amp as I do you definately want to use a quality SS pre and not your tube pre.

I never thought I would be the first to post on this build. I am eagerly looking forward to others opinions on build and sound. I do take pleasure of being one of the few in the world to be able to hear as Nelson designed PP SIT amplifier.

:D

Last edited:
...Obvious to me is this amp does not need the tube pre to take the SS edge off with users of horns. The SS sound that is talked about in the debate of SS vs Tube gear is not there with this amp.

It's the same with my J2. The accuracy and depth of the audio illusion it presents has none of the muddy grit I've settled for in amps BCPE (before current Pass era. :)

Now I can't wait to build the VFET 2 to experience some SIT magic with my B1!