Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

That makes sense. I was more concerned with grease application and issues I've seen on the IT servers where a system will fail because the grease dries out.

Audiophile diyers like recheck his amplifier one time every year to verify output offset & bias
...perfect moment for fresh layer of thermal grease
and chemical caps verification in the psu ...and be sure all work in safe properly conditions for one more year and again.
Old school wisdom :note:

I will put together a Common Drain follower for the orphaned Jfets of both
polarities.

Mike R has already shown you Common Source versions I think, and there
are other CS examples.

:cool:

Your talent will not be wasted. I will build. I would love to hear a SE V-fet amplifier on my horns. I may like this PP V-fet amp better but you never know until you hear them. I am positive there are some that only have pairs of the same kind and not the complementary pairs that would love to see a design of yours for these V-fets.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Each kit was sequentially packed. Walter is right! each kit is entirely matched so use one kit per channel and you're fine! Somewhere along the line I forgot this....duh!

Matching between channels is not Important at all...Just was an easy thing to do for those that are obsessive-compulsive. (wait, that's almost all of us!)
Who also wanted to make making dual pair amps.

I guess within one kit, the 2SK82 and 2SJ28 will be sequentially picked? So then with 2 kits you will be good to go. One kit for the left channel and one kit for the right channel.

Last edited:
...I'll post my BOM in the next couple of days and I'll need you guys to look it over. It's to your advantage if you catch mistakes or have ideas to improve the spec. I agree that good quality parts for an amp this special, make sense. ....

I eagerly await your BOM and the ensuing discussion! I was planning to place a parts order tonight, but I'll hold off.

BK

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yeah, it just took having Nelson realize that there was a big benefit to keeping them all in order. And the benefit was even for people doing the double pairs per channel. Remember the boards and the brackets and handholding are all designed for a single pair per ch. so that will be sooooo much easier!

Last edited:
In the pic NP posted, input cascode Q3/Q4 look rectangular and not like the usual BC550/560 shape.

I guess pinout is going to matter here. Maybe other things, too.

What's best suited?

BC550
BC546
2SC1815
2SC2705

Or something else?

BK

Attachments

• 1-vfet%20ch.jpg
    1-vfet%20ch.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 583
I have already ordered the BC550 and BC560 and have them instead. As I understand it they will work but now I know I am going to have to install them correctly. If I had not seen these last few post I would have probably installed them wrong and the troubleshooting would have begun.

Many thanks eagle eyes nagini262.

Jason

Do those of us who are at the end of the group 2 list assume that we are not getting a kit from the first batch? I have had no email to say one way or the other and there has been no information posted here for a while. Will we be getting something from the second batch?

BOZ BA-3 Preamp F4 F5 JLH1969 JLH1996/2003 JLH1970s75W

Last edited:
I have already ordered the BC550 and BC560 and have them instead. As I understand it they will work but now I know I am going to have to install them correctly. If I had not seen these last few post I would have probably installed them wrong and the troubleshooting would have begun.

Many thanks eagle eyes nagini262.

I failed to mention the first eagle eyes bk856er.