Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ESSENTIALS KIT

This is all based on people who already contacted us to get a kit waaay back on the first order. Many people who contacted us for the first order have paid and received their kits.

If you had signed up early for the first Essentials Kit order and were entitled to a kit, but were nice enough to postpone your order, as there weren't enough kits, then you'll get the message that you can now place your order.

After 72 hours then the people that tried to order back then but we were out of kits in stock AND due to the number of people ordering, quite likely weren't going to get kits even in the second order, will have to the opportunity (in the order that they signed up) to get kits until we run out or they don't respond within 72 hours.

AFTER THAT, if there are any remaining ESSENTIALS KITS, WHICH THERE MAY NOT BE, we'll allow people who are not on any list to order. If this happens we'll post the link here.

We're sorry we can't have more kits. Nelson didn't know how many VFETs there would be until he measured them, so we weren't sure. As it is we've at least gotten them into lots of different hands, which was his intention.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SUPPLEMENTAL KIT:

People who already have their ESSENTIALS kits, who want Supplemental Kits should just click on the link Jason posted,

http://diyaudiostore.com/products/vfet-supplemental-kit

and order as many SUPPLEMENTAL kits as they want. Each one is for 2 channels.
There you can see the list of parts included, and order and pay for them.

This SUPPLEMENTAL KIT is the ONLY Supplemental kit available, and is the official diyAudio Supplemental kit. and will be made up AFTER we see how many people request them and pay. For this reason we can make as many as you want. So anyone can order them and as many as they want!

The people who have been promised ESSENTIALS kits should respond to the e-mail they've gotten from Jason, allowing them to order kits, AND they will have an opportunity at the same time to order as many SUPPLEMENTAL kits as they want..

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Obviously if you don't now have an ESSENTIALS kit and are on a waiting list to get one, or are hoping to get on the second waiting list if there are any left over kits, you'll want to wait and see if you get an email saying you have the opportunity to buy the ESSENTIALS KIT before ordering the SUPPLEMENTAL kit

If you DO get an e-mail saying you have an opportunity to buy an ESSENTIALS KIT respond quickly. At that time you'll get to order an ESSENTIALS KIT AND AS MANY SUPPLEMENTAL KITS as you want

the SUPPLEMENTAL KIT doesn't have VFETS,

If you have VFETS you've somehow acquired over the years, you could order the circuit board pair (and the brackets pair also if you want them) from the diyAudio Store, we have a few in stock. Then you could order the remaining electronic components for the PCB by getting the SUPPLEMENTAL kit if you wanted. The only extra work would be ordering the insulators for the VFETS, and MOSFETs from an online or local shop. And mounting hardware for the VFETS and MOSFETS and brackets.

Last edited:
Jason/Variac,
I have asked this question before but I think you missed it. If I am lucky enough to be allocated an essentials kit would it be possible to order just the Vfets and the Pcbs as the brackets are expensive and would surely add to the shipping costs to the UK? I can easily fabricate the brackets myself as I have the materials and the equipment to do so plus I already have loads of hardware and insulators.
Regards, John.

Jason/Variac,
I have asked this question before but I think you missed it. If I am lucky enough to be allocated an essentials kit would it be possible to order just the Vfets and the Pcbs as the brackets are expensive and would surely add to the shipping costs to the UK? I can easily fabricate the brackets myself as I have the materials and the equipment to do so plus I already have loads of hardware and insulators.
Regards, John.

It was answered before, the essentials kit is a closed kit.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Jason/Variac,
Regards, John.

In order to help EU members in this situation, we have made this possible.

Primarily for the benefit of EU members in the EU VAT zone, Batch 2 is going to be prepared "on demand".

EU Members can order the kit without the brackets. You can either make up your own brackets, or have them shipped intra-EU from Hifi2000 (see below).

Everyone else must order the whole kit, including the brackets. This is primarily to ensure that the VFETs are actually used for this project.

We can do it like this for batch 2 because we now know all the variables up front (price, weight, shipping dimensions, etc), and shipping rates can be calculated in advance. This is in contrast with Batch 1, where we didn't have this information until the end of the process, and couldn't take anyone's money, because we didn't know the price of the kit, nor could we calculate shipping until the last moment.

So... if you live in the EU VAT zone, and would like brackets shipped intra-EU from Hifi2000, please contact me at contact@diyaudiostore.com and I can give you instructions for how this can be arranged. This is on a case by case basis, so please email me for details.

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, finished my DIYA VFET2 amp, listened to it for a couple of days and it is what I hoped for; very transparent/fast/balanced, great highs, mids & lows.
I will enjoy it a lot, thanks Nelson Pass & DIYA for making this possible, would never have believed I build a VFET amp a year ago...

I build it dual mono for I plan to extend it to a balanced set later on, wonder what that will bring actually.

Pictures could be better of this black (and little white) amp, it was a fight with millimeters for it has to house the balanced/bridged build...

Very nice Albert! Dual mono setup, Teabag PSU's. :):D

Walter

Please excuse my ignorance, I really haven't gotten a clue about these things... But if I have a balanced signal coming from the preamplifier and use 2 similar SE amplifiers for each of the two inverted signals with the speaker "floating" between the 2 of them (like it works with my F4s), wouldn't this be differential amplification?

Regards
Sven

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance, I really haven't gotten a clue about these things... But if I have a balanced signal coming from the preamplifier and use 2 similar SE amplifiers for each of the two inverted signals with the speaker "floating" between the 2 of them (like it works with my F4s), wouldn't this be differential amplification?

Regards
Sven

That would be balanced amplification but not necessarily differential.
Differential and balanced are two different beasts in the way they reject common mode noise.

Regards
Sven
If you wired the inputs of the two amplifiers together to form a single differential amplifier (and added a constant current source to really help out the circuit) then it would work a lot better. As it is now, you are relying entirely on the source for things to work so you don't have much in the way of Common Mode Rejection Ratio (CMRR) at all, and so the choice of cable and a bunch of other factors will affect how it sounds.

Believe it or not, balanced line operation is supposed to eliminate cable artifacts. But that fact is nearly unknown in high end audio and its ignorance is why balanced operation is controversial (IOW, why there is a debate about whether single-ended sounds better or not; there should be no debate at all).

Regards
Sven

I think you are referring to a balanced differential signal being sent from your preamp which would mean that there would be a + and an equivalent - for each channel. Using a SE amp with one channel for the + phase and one for the- phase should in my opinion result in differential amplification. All parts including gain devices should be matched closely to preserve CMRR.

NP has shown us how to join the + and - phases at the hip like he has in his F5TX and BA3 FE balanced.

nash

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hmm, over 60 people said they wanted Supplemental kits, but only about 30 have gone to this link and ordered and paid.

Pass VFET Power Amp Supplemental Kit - diyAudio Store

Well worst case I can refund everyone's money, but I somehow get the feeling that some people are confused, because the majority who wanted the Supplemental kits were people that already have their Essentials Kits. IF YOU HAVE YOUR "ESSENTIALS KIT" with the VFETs ALREADY, then just go to the link above and order the SUPPLEMENTAL kits you said you wanted back when we were making up the list! Remember, being on the list ONLY means that you were interested, it DOESN'T mean you have a kit reserved, or that we will necessarily contact you. Just go to the link and request your Supp. Kit(s) and you'll get it (them)