Something to lighten the mood

...dog...almost identical mannerisms as that fox.
I was thinking something very similar when I first watched that video. It reminded me of more than one excitable, highly-strung, poorly trained dog I've come across. (IMO, letting a dog bite your hand repeatedly - even gently - while you pet it is not a good idea at all, and I expect that applies to foxes as well.)

Some six decades ago, some Russian scientists decided to work on the problem of domesticating silver foxes so that they could be farmed. The problem was that the the silver foxes were savage and wild, and did not co-operate at all; so these scientists decided to start breeding the foxes for docility and friendliness, anticipating that sooner or later they would have tractable foxes that could be farm-raised.

What happened instead was that the foxes lost their beautiful fox coats before they became friendly and docile, replacing it with something very like ordinary dog fur; but they also began to show other distinctly dog-like characteristics, like barking and wagging their tails (which foxes do not do.)

I read about this decades ago, but found a recent update, with a slightly different version of the story: Silver fox study reveals genetic clues to social behavior -- ScienceDaily

We know that all domestic dogs came from wolf ancestors; I guess foxes, also being in the same family (canids) share quite a few common characteristics.

-Gnobuddy

There, that's better.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 1.24.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 1.24.32 PM.png
    145.5 KB · Views: 141
Not many people know this, but your collarbone is actually Nature's circuit-breaker! :cool:

When the horrible Green Bay Packer's Quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, got enjoyably slammed to the ground by my Viking team's Anthony Barr in 2017, he was saved from Brain Injury by his snapping collarbone.

The idea is your collarbone breaking saves you from far worse injury! By softening the blow to your head, you follow?

Never mind. We'll try and get him next year again! He has broken our hearts too often. :eek: