Some speaker driver measurements...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Why not remove the face plate instead...tie the tweter from the back of the front wirh a slighty larger hole than the dome diameter and feel with felt the level diference to avoid difraction with the top of the larger hole at the edge of the front bafle....not easier though if you are a pro of the hand router ...but most are not...viva the little tweeter print....I remember an audax for car with golded dome, fs was at 5000 hz but what a sound...excellent from 7500 hz.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
imho, all is about the tweeter that has FF and how it is used, the viscosity, the quantity and amount of particles inside with the grade. It has several purposes : mecanichal, acoustical damping, cooling... items not always used at the same time for a tweeter... You must know what you're doing. But FF as said is drying with time and become thicker. That's why if you can choose one without : no hassle if you keep the drivers more than a decade or purchase second hand. My two cents. Most Dynaudios are construct like tanks...

FF is a liquid, it's ALWAYS going to have some damping effect on the coil.

FF usually improves objective performance, particularly non-linear distortion and especially near resonance. (..so to see it removed here with still decent objective performance after removing that FF, is a happy result. Though it does still have a 2nd order filter on it..)

Last edited:
FF is a liquid, it's ALWAYS going to have some damping effect on the coil.

FF usually improves objective performance, particularly non-linear distortion and especially near resonance. (..so to see it removed here with still decent objective performance after removing that FF, is a happy result. Though it does still have a 2nd order filter on it..)
The only thing I don't like about ferrofluid is that it doesn't last forever. The life of a tweeter without it, might be much, much longer.

For me personally, I don't like (subjectivly) what it does anywhere near resonance.. as you go higher up in freq. though, it's starts become "variable". Some tweeters at higher freq.s sound OK, others not so much. I think this is a matter of the diaphragm's bending on some of those drivers at higher freq.s (..like 5 kHz up): the ones that do tend to sound OK as if they are unencumbered (move somewhat independently) by the VC.

To me then (depending on the tweeter), this makes the most sense to use these tweeters with ferofluid where you need a super-tweeter (wide dispersion) with a low order crossover somewhere around where other larger tweeters/upper-mid's start beaming.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
:)
PA brands should really consider to send some drivers to this nice guys imho. A lot of coaxial they have as well ! But not only coax of course...Faital, 18thSounds, B&C, Beyma, PHL, RCF... all Europe based, Ukrainia is nextdoor, hey !

I'm looking forward too ScanSpeak sends him their new 6" with "phenomenax" cone !

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
good idea, I wisch I see the Faital 15FH520 15" measurement.

around 180 euros, if my math are still good : 180 1 euro or usd donations or 90 2 euros/usd !
Ask a specific group buy not to polute this thread though and we ask the brand chosed to send the driver to HifiCompass for the good service and advert. But better they make it for free ... business needs to be boosted rightnow and HifiCompass is a good advert as are some here as well with their measurements.
The poll problem about the driver choice is hassle though !

I will say that I use hificompass to evaluate all drivers that I consider purchasing, as long as they're measured on there. I'm much more likely to buy one that has measurements on hificompass. I do look for them in other sources too (audioexcite, anywhere else I can find measurements) if they're not available on hificompass, but I like to be able to compare drivers knowing that there is consistent measurement methodology between them.