Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been looking for a RJ45 to I2S (with a good I2S output layout because RF : GSGSGS... ) to swap my Duet but still no existing in DIY World ? I mean instead of the world of the ROM based apliances RaspBerry likes which not seem to have a so good I2S output and when they have one ?

What's wrong with the raspberry pi I2S output? There are of course a lot of other similar small Linux cards these days.

Also not sure why I2S has suddenly become such a "must have". It is OK as a connection between chips on the same circuit board, but it was never intended as a standard for interconnecting external devices. As long as your DAC has a decent front-end, the actual physical interconnection doesn't matter.

Humm, based on the answers above ,I believe i putt a hand in RaspB. world... not too much expensive... while re-put the hand in Linux is not my cup of tea ! We do a lot of effort for our Hifis :)
A raspberry pi is a godo and cheap way to try things, and if you go for something like squeezeplug you don't need to know much about Linux.

Funny, many of us are focusing on 384 upsampling...
Especially considering that you can't buy any music in that format... :)

Julf,

why I2S, etc ! And why a better layout !

I believe to try to interconnect diy pcbs comming from the multibit dac chips world
while not wasting the plus they give without adding some problems of matching impedance or RF pollution or isolation between the close I2S signals. When I see a board with a I2S output with 3 signals vias and only with one gnd via near it, I say myself than the designer has not do his max !

So as some devices exist, we continue, same than the sipdf/toslink : device is already existing : a great example is the Subbu : why limiting it with spidf... answer: because this is usefull (SqueezeBox,etc !)

I can illustrate it : I play in thi smoment with some DACS lego construction.

AYAII 2014 from Audial (uf-l embeded for I2S for experimenting) + PCMtoI2S from Ian (so 4 uf-l links + 1 uf-l link from the MasterClock + inputs for the pcb streamer

Idem with a board from Painkiller member with AD1862 (monos chip...) + the same I2StoPCM boards.

So you know already the answer : the more open, the more users ! But I must say than here with both the FIFO and the isolator.... a lot of effort were made to limit the issues of the input stage ! No ?

Last edited:
The topic seems to be straying a long way from its intended purpose of documenting Soekris DAC implementations?!

I'm planning to use the Soekris DAC in conjunction with a network renderer.

For what it's worth when I progress my Soekris DAC build I'll be fronting it with with an EDEL-NMR as my first choice, positioning it right next to the Soekris DAC and connecting via very short I2S hook-ups. The Edel can handle PCM and DSD. An advantage of the EDEL board is that it has a 32bit software volume control and I believe removing that function from the Soekris DAC will help if you plan to run filters (I plan to run two Soekris DACs with crossover filters). The EDEL NMR is a UPnP renderer.

Network Audio Renderer | ABC PCB

If I couldn't use an EDEL, or I wanted to run something like squeezelite I would use a Beaglebone Black, running miero's Botic linux distribution, coupled with something like an Acko SO3; this combination will provide external clock signals to the Beaglebone(for 44.1KHz or 48KHz data to retain native sample rates - no resampling required) and will play upto 384KHz sample rates and automatically switch between PCM and DSD. I believe some people have successfully used squeezelite on this platform. Here's info on miero's botic distribution;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/258254-support-botic-linux-driver.html

Just my penn'orth.

Ray

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
It is OK as a connection between chips on the same circuit board, but it was never intended as a standard for interconnecting external devices.

Technology always gets adapted and modified with time. Just because Philips didn't specify long runs in the 1986 documentation, doesn't mean that it isn't usable for such purposes.

This is from an NXP app note published in 2008 titled "Sending I2C-bus signals via long communications cables" http://www.nxp.com/documents/application_note/AN10658.pdf

The I2C-bus is already widely used within each separate unit of many pieces of equipment, for example in consumer electronics in TV, DVD, and STB or in the modules or racks of telecommunications and industrial electronics.

It makes sense to ‘extend’ the use of the I2C-bus to the linking of those pieces of equipment rather than converting the I2C-bus signals to use some unrelated data transmission system.

Last edited:
If I couldn't use an EDEL, or I wanted to run something like squeezelite I would use a Beaglebone Black, running miero's Botic linux distribution, coupled with something like an Acko SO3; this combination will provide external clock signals to the Beaglebone(for 44.1KHz or 48KHz data to retain native sample rates - no resampling required) and will play upto 384KHz sample rates and automatically switch between PCM and DSD.

But wouldn't the connections needed for an external clock cause much more jitter than a native clock?

The topic seems to be straying a long way from its intended purpose of documenting Soekris DAC implementations?!

I'm planning to use the Soekris DAC in conjunction with a network renderer.

For what it's worth when I progress my Soekris DAC build I'll be fronting it with with an EDEL-NMR as my first choice, positioning it right next to the Soekris DAC and connecting via very short I2S hook-ups. The Edel can handle PCM and DSD. An advantage of the EDEL board is that it has a 32bit software volume control and I believe removing that function from the Soekris DAC will help if you plan to run filters (I plan to run two Soekris DACs with crossover filters). The EDEL NMR is a UPnP renderer.

Network Audio Renderer | ABC PCB

If I couldn't use an EDEL, or I wanted to run something like squeezelite I would use a Beaglebone Black, running miero's Botic linux distribution, coupled with something like an Acko SO3; this combination will provide external clock signals to the Beaglebone(for 44.1KHz or 48KHz data to retain native sample rates - no resampling required) and will play upto 384KHz sample rates and automatically switch between PCM and DSD. I believe some people have successfully used squeezelite on this platform. Here's info on miero's botic distribution;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/258254-support-botic-linux-driver.html

Just my penn'orth.

Ray

cooooool, some new device :) ! thanks.

Will I risk a : what about casing this DAC ? Did you plan to putt the trafo in another box, etc ?

I2S - I2C confusion

Also not sure why I2S has suddenly become such a "must have". It is OK as a connection between chips on the same circuit board, but it was never intended as a standard for interconnecting external devices. As long as your DAC has a decent front-end, the actual physical interconnection doesn't matter.

Let's not mix up the two terms I2S and I2C.

Wikipedia reads:
"The I2S bus separates clock and serial data signals, resulting in a lower jitter than is typical of communications systems that recover the clock from the data stream. Despite the name, it is unrelated to the bidirectional I²C bus."

But if you for some reason still prefer S/PDIF then go ahead :)

I²S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am planning on building an 8 channel ncore400 amp with 4 of these dacs and an exaU21 inside the same case. I am wondering how long I can run the i2s output from these dacs to the ncore inputs? I know they are to be kept as short as possible, but realistically, how long can they be without issues?

I am planning on building an 8 channel ncore400 amp with 4 of these dacs and an exaU21 inside the same case. I am wondering how long I can run the i2s output from these dacs to the ncore inputs? I know they are to be kept as short as possible, but realistically, how long can they be without issues?

Convention says that i2s runs need to be kept to max of 10cms though I know some people run them longer without issues.

You can sent i2s data over much longer runs if you use a LVDS implementation, something like Twisted Pear Audio's Teleporter modules.

Ray

Disabled Account
Joined 2005

your hook up would be:

exaU21 --i2S--> Soekris R2R --Balanced Analog--> Hypex nCore.

Keep the i2s wiring as short as possible between the exau21 and Soekris DAC's. Hypex modules are designed for a balanced analog input signal, so use the balance outputs on the DAC. Cable length for the balanced connection is not critical.

cheers
Paul

Looks simple to make one yourself... and saves a lot of money :cool:

That's a bifilar wound toroid. Assuming you can get a core with enough inductance and low enough loss (a bit tricky) then you'll have a large interwinding capacitance. This couples common-mode noise fairly effectively. With a core as large as they've chosen it'll probably still have more leakage inductance than a SC, despite being bifilar.

Thanks..Yeah, I meant the i2s connection from the exaU21 to the dacs....

Hopefully I can reach all 4 dacs from the exaU21 in less than 10 cm....

Again, much appreciate the info...

For 384K signals, I needed to go to 5cm uFL cables between my input (WaveIO) and DAC (buffalo IIIse). You may be able to tightly stack the Dac's to get the connections short enough--it will be a challenge.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.