Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Some suggestion:
1. rotate dam 90 degree, output face up (back of chassis), AC input J1 face down (front of chassis)
2. regulator place right bottom or left bottom, transformer place right under AC IEC
3. no need ventilation, the regulator might be hotter than the dam in fact, esp if you are running shunt regulator. However, your case seems not shunt reg so it's ok for zero ventilation IMO.

Hi Kenneth, thank you for the feedback. Regarding (1), your suggestion is the opposite of what I was thinking. What is your rationale for putting the output (rca/xlr) end closest to the back of the chassis, and in the input side pointing towards the front? Are you trying to keep output wiring as short as possible?

My main concern with your suggestion is that the wiring between Amanero and dam1021 might have to exceed 10cm, which is not recommended for I2S lines. (Though it might make it, I haven't tried yet. But I lose a lot of wire length to routing "around, up and over" the dam1021, with the Amanero mounted underneath the dam.)

Thanks again!

Hi Kenneth, thank you for the feedback. Regarding (1), your suggestion is the opposite of what I was thinking. What is your rationale for putting the output (rca/xlr) end closest to the back of the chassis, and in the input side pointing towards the front? Are you trying to keep output wiring as short as possible?

My main concern with your suggestion is that the wiring between Amanero and dam1021 might have to exceed 10cm, which is not recommended for I2S lines. (Though it might make it, I haven't tried yet. But I lose a lot of wire length to routing "around, up and over" the dam1021, with the Amanero mounted underneath the dam.)

Thanks again!

Have a look at my implementation in my signature, I've since changed all 8 audio cables to use RG316 coax, however the distance on the I2S/spdif wires are kept short as possible, since I am driving boards parallel, the only wired connection to the 2nd board are for the serial port, the rest chain from the top board to the bottom via pin headers. Overall I personally think your layout is fine. My case has very little ventilation, a few tiny holes at the top, but it doesn't get too hot despite the shunt regulation.

A further improvement with iron shield around Raspberry PI 2b.
attachment.php

Could you please publish a photo of the Pi with its shield, I have spent some time trying to work it out!:confused:

Joined 2008
Paid Member
A further improvement with iron shield around Raspberry PI 2b.

Oneoclock, did you ever happen to try the CPU and/or IO benchmarks on your Rpi to isolate which item is causing the jitter?

At any rate, maybe you could see further improvement if you coated your metal shield with "3M AB-5100S" EMI Absorber sheets. Kind of expensive (around $50 USD for one sheet). If indeed the RPi is throwing off EMI, I think this falls into the category of "can't hurt".

I think further isolation is not worth it.
The music played from the Raspberry Pi has to -140 dB noise that is sufficient and it sounds really good.

It is easier to cut the power supply in Raspberry Pi connector and put a switch to turn off Raspberry PI when not in use. I think a power switch instead of R3 in Normundss Input Board.

The picture yellow is the answer with nylon spacers and Raspberry Pi indexing Moode data base, green is shield, spacers and Raspberry Pi indexing Moode data base, red is shield, spacers and Raspberry Pi without audio reproduction and no indexing. Everything in the audio output.

I do other measures, but I put what I see more interesting. I've spent years measuring a lot of DAC and CD with Jtest. I like it because it gives for me a comparative idea that usually similar with sound quality difference.

This DAC is well above the other DAC that I have measured. And above quality of my 24-bit (-144 db) Motu measuring equipment.

All defects of the J-test RED signal that appear are already due to Motu measuring equipment and not the DAM1021.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Hi All,
This is my first Dac build. Is it possible to build a "simplified" Soekris Dac using the board, regulators and transformer ? Then upgrade later ?

Thinking:
Soekris dam 1021
JL Sounds PSU
Toroidal Transformer
Case, IEC, Cabling

Is this a good idea ? Welcome suggestions, thank you !

If you want to keep it really simple there is no need for the JLSounds DUALPSU as the DAM also works with just a torroid. See post 1 of this thread for suggested transformers. You will also need to add some way to implement USB, SPDIF and optical inputs. Try this thread :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/269943-input-switch-boards-soekris-dam1021-dac.html

Alternatively there was also a twisted pear board for optical input but not sure if its still available. See : https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/02/10/soekris-dam1021-build/

Last edited:
.05% vs .02% ?

If you want to keep it really simple there is no need for the JLSounds DUALPSU as the DAM also works with just a torroid. See post 1 of this thread for suggested transformers. You will also need to add some way to implement USB, SPDIF and optical inputs. Try this thread :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/269943-input-switch-boards-soekris-dam1021-dac.html

Alternatively there was also a twisted pear board for optical input but not sure if its still available. See : https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/02/10/soekris-dam1021-build/

Dear wineds,
Thank you for the message and the links, very helpful.

The hifiduino link you sent, also included a headphone out, seems like a nice build. My thought is to buy the Soekris ApS dam1021-05 - REV 3 ($199) instead of the Soekris ApS dam1021-02 ($265). As this is a budget build, sound like good decision ?

All the best

Dear wineds,
Thank you for the message and the links, very helpful.

The hifiduino link you sent, also included a headphone out, seems like a nice build. My thought is to buy the Soekris ApS dam1021-05 - REV 3 ($199) instead of the Soekris ApS dam1021-02 ($265). As this is a budget build, sound like good decision ?

All the best

Probably your call on which version to buy based on budget but I think the -02 was said to have better long term stability as well as precision. Its also well worth adding additional polymer caps for the vref as this is easily done with the v3. Good luck with your build!

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Have a look at my implementation in my signature, I've since changed all 8 audio cables to use RG316 coax, however the distance on the I2S/spdif wires are kept short as possible, since I am driving boards parallel, the only wired connection to the 2nd board are for the serial port, the rest chain from the top board to the bottom via pin headers. Overall I personally think your layout is fine. My case has very little ventilation, a few tiny holes at the top, but it doesn't get too hot despite the shunt regulation.

Spikestabber,

Have you---or anyone else---ever offered your thoughts on dual dam boards versus single dam board?

I want to go with balanced output, but can't decide if I should "settle" for the single-board opamp version, or pony up the cash for the dual-board solution.

Thanks!

Spikestabber,

Have you---or anyone else---ever offered your thoughts on dual dam boards versus single dam board?

I want to go with balanced output, but can't decide if I should "settle" for the single-board opamp version, or pony up the cash for the dual-board solution.

Thanks!

Just go for it if your amp has native balanced inputs. I'm not one to explain "how it sounds" as I can never get it right anyway and its all subjective in the end. This build is however the best its ever been with regards to SQ and dynamic range.

Locking Problem

I just completed my build and everything looks and test's good, I get a fast lock from my CD player dig. spdif coax out, but it won't lock to my music server spdif coax dig. out. I have used 5 or 6 dac's with my server in the past with no problems.. Any ideas?? I am using the diy input spdif input board from this forum.

I just completed my build and everything looks and test's good, I get a fast lock from my CD player dig. spdif coax out, but it won't lock to my music server spdif coax dig. out. I have used 5 or 6 dac's with my server in the past with no problems.. Any ideas?? I am using the diy input spdif input board from this forum.
The music server, what type is that?
Could be a driver issue for the server?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.