Soekris' DAC implementations

Joined 2000
Paid Member
.... And are not software compatible. I am planning to add firmware support for the Si570, have some other projects I'm working on....

Power is not a problem if the dam1021 is supplied with lower voltage, like +- 7V DC, otherwise the added 0.1A will be a thermal problem for the 3.3V linear regulator.

But I doubt that anybody would be able to hear any difference in a controlled ABX listening test, even if the design is updated to have the clock not pass though the FPGA....

Hi Soren,

Will you add support to Si570 in near future? Thanks

All,
I have received DAM v3 and also bought Pi3. Planning to spend the easter weekend to build the DAC. My query is about connecting Pi3 I2S output to play directly through DAM. I am also hoping to control the volume, input and filter selection through Pi3. Could someone please give me some pointers to start with. I have gone through a few forums but couldn't find the information :-(
Apologies in advance if someone has to repeat the information but I am a bit stuck. I am also excited to build this and looking forward to any help I get here.
Thanks

Thanks jbc2, I have done the initial wiring up of DAM with Amanero and buffered output to my Grado SR80 and it sounds amazing compared to my DacMajic100. I have used the default filter and used two common walwarts from Maplin to supply the power. I am planning to use better power supplies before putting everything in an enclosure but wanted a quick start and hence with Maplin as it is very easily available. I am now in the process of connecting my Pi3 to DAM and planning to use Node.js to programme the control software. I will post the details and the code upon successful testing.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I planned to do the same thing...please report back if you can play as well 44.1k normal cd-music or if you do not get a lock, like other people reported....the default i2s implementation ofthe rpi seems not to work, needs mods. If there are linux distros which fix this from the beginning, would be nice to know which ones work out of the box

I refered to this discussion:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-106.html#post4558495

..it seems that they find workarounds by seting Linus-Start-protocols for the right driver setup or even re-wrote drivers, but I guess this is different by each distro. That is why I asked: Which distro has this 64fs BCLK which the Soekris wants to see already "build in" vs. the 32fs BCLK you normally would get from a RPI

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Feeding a DAM via I2S from a Pi running stock PiCorePlayer. Worked with no fuss, has been hiccup-free, and sounds quite good, tho not as good as another DAM fed from an SDTrans384.

Greg in Mississippi

Attachments

• IMAG4357-cropped .jpg
    IMAG4357-cropped .jpg
    874.1 KB · Views: 510
Another quick query on the Rev 3 board. I tried to read through some forums to find out the modifications done on Rev 3 (from Rev 1 and 2) for vref. I am trying to find out what voltage mods are still advised on the rev 3 board. I read they already have some factory mods to reduce the number of changes.

This is my DAC DAM1021 with Normundss input switch board and RaspberryPI2-B with Moode.

When Raspberry Pi is not used, no problems. But when used, and especially when accessing network drive, a lot of jitter is generated.

I think it's because noise input by ground. DAM1021 is connected to the chassis by metalic fastening screws. Input switch board and RaspberryPI2-B also are connected to chasis by metalic fastening screws.

To solve the problems I have buy nylon spacers to isolate DAM1021. But it will take 45 days from China.

I have put DCB1 board at output. But I have problems with the ground too.

To solve the noise in DCB1 board I will use the Salas power DCB1 to DAM1021 so that they share common ground to see if it disappears.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• dam2.png
    dam2.png
    731.3 KB · Views: 613
  • dam1.png
    dam1.png
    494.3 KB · Views: 615
  • DAM3.png
    DAM3.png
    372 KB · Views: 607
  • DAM4.png
    DAM4.png
    687.6 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
What do you mean by "mass"?

Your problems are of the type I would fear as one introduces a lot of HF switching close to delicate audio circuits by introducing a "computer". This should be avoided if one seeks the highest fidelity reproduction. Its frankly the wrong architecture if one seeks high end natural sound.

//

This is the jitter signal with j-test.
I2S input: Moode on Raspberry Pi and MAC with Amanero have the same jitter. While doing update MPD database is very bad, especially at the beginning of the update.
And then, when the update finished, the two have a very low jitter.

I hope it's for the wrong isolation ground. With the nylon spacers and screws I hope is resolved.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DAM1021.jitter.png
    DAM1021.jitter.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:
What do you mean by "mass"?
Your problems are of the type I would fear as one introduces a lot of HF switching close to delicate audio circuits by introducing a "computer". This should be avoided if one seeks the highest fidelity reproduction. Its frankly the wrong architecture if one seeks high end natural sound.
//

Sorry for my English. Ground.

I hope that a DAM1021 chassis separation solve everything.

Not if you were able to hear the audio quality of Moode with DAM1021. When he is not doing update MPD. It is really exceptional.

In the worst case I have to wait "only" one day to complete MPD update.

Small are the same that are superimposed on the large. They have the same colors. All with the same amplitude of 11.025 kHz. I hope you look good values in the large although all the harmonics of 229 Hz are covered.
I thought that the gradual superposition of the measures would be understood.