So you think you want to play with tape: An Otari Story

Anything tape recorder is pretty niche these days..
My newest recorder is 26 years old, and the oldest 36.. Somewhat amusingly it is much, much easier to get parts for the older Otari decks than the newest ones I own.
Yes, that's true! I hadn't really thought about it, but, yeah----my oldest tape recorder is ~ 50 years old (Ampex AG440B), my newest (Studer A810) is a mere 26 years old, and the Otari is 36!:)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used Nichicon Muse bipolars for the entire audio path in all of these decks, the later decks had these from the factory. (My 1994 MX-50 II had these, my older ones 1990, 1988, and 1984 didn't)

For the rest I used Fine Gold or other audio grade capacitors from Nichicon. I was most concerned about getting ones that physically fit. You can't really go wrong with any Nichicon capacitor these days, they're all high quality, and in many instances will be better than what was originally in there when new.

...The best reviews were for rollers from Gianni---https://www.sofh.it/. Have one on order so we shall see. Any one on here have any experience with any of these pinch roller vendors--sofh, Terry, or Athan?
Hi Kevin,
how's it goin on with the Gianni roller?

To let you guys know about my experience with the Italian ...

For my MX-5050 MK III 8 track I ordered a "set", meant to be a Pinch and an Impedance roller from him. Made a bloody mistake not to further specify the two different parts. What he sent was ideed two Pinch rollers.
When I emailed him, explaining my "mistake", asking about exchanging one of them for the needed Impedance roller he never got back to me. Door closed.:whazzat:
Seems like he only makes Pinchies. Now I'll have my mechanic friend a go on his lathe and get me what I need.

Meanwhile I enjoy a rare find from my cellars.:drink:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheers.

Hi Kevin, how's it goin on with the Gianni roller?To let you guys know about my experience with the Italian ...
For my MX-5050 MK III 8 track I ordered a "set", meant to be a Pinch and an Impedance roller from him. Made a bloody mistake not to further specify the two different parts. What he sent was ideed two Pinch rollers.
When I emailed him, explaining my "mistake", asking about exchanging one of them for the needed Impedance roller he never got back to me. Door closed.:whazzat:
Seems like he only makes Pinchies. Now I'll have my mechanic friend a go on his lathe and get me what I need.
This is dotneck335. Kevin is kevinkr.
Strange that you never heard back from Gianni. ???? He was always helpful and straightforward with me. I have been dealing with some surgery issues, so I haven't installed the Gianni roller on my Studer just yet.
Have you done any mods to your Otari MX-5050 MK III 8 track? On mine, I'm planning a complete recap per Kevin's recommendations (sure is a LOT o' caps, though!), an Elvee power supply mod, and perhaps an opamp swap to NE5534/5532s.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My experience so far is only with Athan and OEM, and so far no problems with the Athan replacements. One MX-50 and both 5050 have Athan rollers, they run great so I hope they are durable.

On the caps, it's literally the first thing to do on these decks - on 2 of the 4 decks so far all of the problems disappeared with cap replacement, on the other two which were MX-5050 there were additional problems like bad switches in the transport of the MKIII-2 and a corroded PCB due to perished foam in the MX-5050BII-2. The cap chemistry seemed to change in the late 1980s as the newer decks were the deadest decks due to capacitor issues.

Like in the audio path---EQ and such? Maybe polypropylene instead of polyester?
Did we ever come to a conclusion about whether or not the Otari audio-path ICs warranted replacement? Not with some high-priced esoterics, but with something reasonable like an LM4562 or an OPA1642, maybe?

Last edited: