Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

A second set of eyes on the schematics are handy!

All resistors are 1206, but I'll make R17 a 2512 if it's dissipating that much current. I missed the cap and Q12 swap on the latest schematic.

I think there's a bug in the latest version of Diptrace. It keeps picking different libraries for a couple of the transistors like Q1, Q5 and Q6. I've fixed that a couple times already. I need to sort that out before anything goes to the board house.

Are there any other suggestions for dual input transistors? The one I've chosen works great but it's SC-70, top heavy device that likes to flip over in the oven. I'd like to find something that's easier to hand solder.

It looks like the LT1001 will draw worst case ~90mW across +/-15V, so 3mA per LT1001 we have two of them and that's assuming they are driving a high impedance load. Q16 and Q20 would let out the magic smoke for sure if we keep the current parts so 10mA is a good estimate.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what U2 actually draws, but rule of thumb is 10mA for an op amp. I just went with what Pete had on his schematic. I think it might be a good idea to move the +/-12V regulation to the output board to free up some space for the through hole version. I can use larger devices there. Lots of room under the input board.

I am going to baseline sprint 6.0 and I will go all the way. boss man want's it'
Could you , as a 2'nd party to assure that I don't make mistakes that I made on the
current version ??
My time is finite , I will give this forum my ultimate before this happens.
OS

I've got a SMT version of the input board pretty much ready. I added the usual ground lift to the input. Is this going to cause any problems?

I sold bossman on something like the NS-OPS.
I won't copy any of Vz's stuff , I'll sprint it. All through-hole.

If you could just be a 2'nd party to any error I make in this endeavor.
You are the layout master. I have studied Vzaudio.
I am impressed. Really.
PS - I'm not doing any any of the non-switching , just MY EF3.
OS

Last edited:
I sold bossman on something like the NS-OPS.
I won't copy any of Vz's stuff , I'll sprint it. All through-hole.

If you could just be a 2'nd party to any error I make in this endeavor.
You are the layout master. I have studied Vzaudio.
I am impressed. Really.
PS - I'm not doing any any of the non-switching , just MY EF3.
OS

Sounds good! I'll keep playing with a SMT version for now.

Hi everyone. I'm late to the party again!

Just a thought,

One of the choices I was making while beginning assembly my V2.4 Badger was to use a thermal bus bar across the OPS transistors. It wasn't because of efficiency, or necessity. It was so I could have somewhere to mount Q13.

The 5U deluxe UMS chassis, uses 2 lengths of heatsink, with a join directly in the center. so the options are to either use a thermal bar, and mount Q13 to it, or drill a new hole and tap it out(but it will have to be offset from center, reducing accuracy I'd assume).

Just a thought. I'd guess a few other builders will use the 5U.