Skin Effect in Wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That cable of your is sonically very heavily affected by skin effect. - So much that its shame to see it as an experienced audiofhile, knowing that its not in production. I would buy it if I could afford it.

Hi, I tend to think about things for awhile, then when I am ready, I trust my instincts and make something with my hands. I really do not know enough about real electronic engineering to be able to say with assurance whether your quite admirable comments are genuine in their appraisal, or whether you are just teasing me as part of the jovial camaraderie and banter within in this quite enjoyable thread. Either way, I am happy, and happy for all manner of long winded reasons.

Anyway ...... it took me about 6 hours to make two 9ft speaker cables with material costs of £9 each - that's £1 per foot. The costs for the labour - well, that's a different matter. Heck, I would even have a go at making a 2P + 2N x 4 = 16 wire plait! Might even solve global poverty, reverse climate change, and bring sonic happiness to the masses - one can never know about these things until it is tried.

In other words, are you being serious? ToS

"tsk tsk!!! you young men REALLY love to complicate simple things!!!!"

:cop:
Indeed. With that in mind I suggest you go and do something else you like to do...

...ah crap this is what you like to do.

ok, $10 to the first seriously active person who can stay away for 10 days and $5 for each of you who stay away 5 days up to a total I will deal with as the piggy bank goes dry.

It would be nice not to have to look into this thread more times a day than I have time for.

Thanks for your understanding. Let's move on or start another thread.

Last edited:
Indeed. With that in mind I suggest you go and do something else you like to do...

ok, $10 to the first seriously active person who can stay away for 10 days and $5 for each of you who stay away 5 days up to a total I will deal with as the piggy bank goes dry.
So, bribing others to stay away from a cable thread.

Now that is a new one on me...:D

jn

So, bribing others to stay away from a cable thread.
Now that is a new one on me...:D
I have taken on my wife's thinking: Anything to achieve results.

nobody can afford me...
Even at 25 cents an hour...
It's better than the 25 cents an hour I pay just to be a part of this 'family'

Anyway ...... it took me about 6 hours to make two 9ft speaker cables with material costs of £9 each - that's £1 per foot. The costs for the labour - well, that's a different matter. Heck, I would even have a go at making a 2P + 2N x 4 = 16 wire plait! Might even solve global poverty, reverse climate change, and bring sonic happiness to the masses - one can never know about these things until it is tried.

In other words, are you being serious? ToS

Yes I think that the exterior (skin) looks so good and nicely crafted, that it will alter the sound compared to more plain looking cables. Im sure my choises of equipment have been greatly influenced by looks although Ive tried not to let it. B&O has made very good products, and many of them pleasing to my eyes. I would just never pay so high a premium for them. However seeing peoples comments on a B&O facebook group clearly indicates that Jacob Jensen and later visual designers of B&O products has a strong influence on many peoples enjoyment of music. Your thoughts behind the electrical properties before designing the cables seems sound to me. I dont have knowledge about electronics to judge it. Also Im not sure I can hear the difference between any cables. Maybe I can but I havent worried so much about it. I may make some cables similar to you when I get the time.
My brother conducted a scientific study with blindtesting between a collection of from some of the cheapest to some of the most expensive audiocables. It was 50/50 if the subjects picked the cheap or the expensive cables exept one subject picked the "right" one everytime. That was just by far not enough to be signifikant. Could be random or he could have exeptional hearing. Also a significant majority of subjects could hear that testwire - (the very thin ones that has jaws attatched to each end) sounded inferiour to all the ather cables.

The laborcost of handmaking your cables would ofcourse make them too expensive. A cablecompany could make them for far less than you did and make good money from it.
Comment was mainly a recognition of your cablemaking and your own enjoyment of them

It would be nice not to have to look into this thread more times a day than I have time for.

Thanks for your understanding. Let's move on or start another thread.
Hey!!! , what is YOUR point? :confused:

70 (seventy!!) posts behind I suggested a very simple to do Scientific/Physics based experiment, which would shed light, one way or another on this already way too long thread.

Clearly you prefer inconclusive rambling to experiment and physical proof.

I hate to self quote, but since that seems to have been lost in the excitement of the discussion, here it goes again.

Rambling all over the Physics field is fine and shows excellent formation of Members.

That said, why don´t we go back to the basic raw experiment?

I suggest , just as one example, to connect an amplifier to a load, resistive so as to further simplify it, say a couple 8 ohm resistors, with a 10 meter long 1 mm section wire pair, we might use transformer type enamelled wire so as to both have some kind of insulation, and at the same time keep it as thin as possible.

We must have available 2 cable sets: one conventional, and the other with each conductor wrapped in magnetic tape of the kind suggested earlier.

We sweep at a fixed level, say 5 or 10V RMS, from 20Hz to 20kHz, measuring at the load end.

1) we check for frequency response flatness, specially at the highest frequencies, any loss at high frequencies might be due to skin effect.

a) we use plain wire.
Do we find loss attributable to skin effect? [YES/NO] (tick one)

b) IF loss is found on plain wire, is less of it present on magnetic tape wrapped one? [YES/NO] (tick one)

Post results.

2) if NO attenuation is present at these audio frequencies and wiring lengths, then skin effect is irrelevant under average Audiophile use and "correcting" it is not needed.

And we all go back to our regular life

Sorry, I don´t bribe people to achieve anything.

Yes, but...Here is some rambling.
Because of noise, and lickely no difference in cables, you will have random yes or no results. It will take many measurements and good statisticians to draw a meaningfull conclusion. This might be more difficult than the discovery of the Higgs boson that took years of measurements at CERN with humongus data collection and processing.
Because of random results, arguments could go on for ever.
Well, noise in physics is as noise on forums....
Let this thread go on for ever. Even if it dies, it will resurect anway.

The labour costs of handmaking your cables would of course make them too expensive. A cable company could make them for far less than you did and make good money from it.

My comment was mainly a recognition of your cablemaking and your own enjoyment of them

OK, you really are being serious. :)

The first nice thing I ever bought for myself when I was young, was a B&O Beolit 707 desktop radio. It was a beautiful piece of design in an outrageous shade of red. I loved looking at it while listening to music. By the end of the 1980's I had a very nice component sound system - all in black - with a red radio. The sound system sadly, has long gone, but I still have the radio ...... now rather battered looking. It still works. And now I am building myself a new sound system by hand from scratch.

When it came to turn my attention to speaker cables, I found the prices to be ridiculous and what is said about them online even more so. After some study, I decided on a 2P+2N=4 way plait, as the theory suggested it would effectively cancel out RFI. I have no way of measuring the efficacy of this arrangement, nor do I care. If RFI ever becomes a problem, then the problem has already been dealt with. All my electronics run on batteries, so I do not think or worry about mains hum, earth loops, or dirty power from our local hydroelectric power grid. I just navel gaze at my horn speaker and listen to the music.

And you are right, good looking audio really does influence how we perceive the reproduction of music. I have become completely fascinated by front loaded horn speakers, and their construction as audio sculptures made from brown paper and thick card. Their beauty is internal, external and all the way through. I have built one, and my visitors love it, and now I am building another two as a complimentary stereo pair.

I experiment and try all the time to make the whole of the sound system look as beautiful and interesting to look at as is possible. It encourages other listeners to feel good about their experience of listening to really wonderful music. None of what I am describing is costing me a lot of money, as it doesn't need to. My interests are to do with music, not high end audio.

I too, don't think it at all foolish to make good looking effective speaker cables costing £1 per foot, and I thank you kindly for being nice to me about it. ToS

Last edited:
70 (seventy!!) posts behind I suggested a very simple to do Scientific/Physics based experiment, which would shed light, one way or another on this already way too long thread.

Thank you Juan but irony doesn't get us any closer to a resolution. Being that we have to monitor this thread like a wildfire, watching for flare-ups, when what we really want is to be listening to our favourite music at home or elsewhere with friends and family.

I dont care who is that guy.
I have made measurements numerous times in my lab 20 years ago. The measurenets were repeated by independent scientists in my local university.
The priority date of patent -1997.
I have absolutely no intentions to repeat them again. Patent is here. Use it. Ph.D. thesis from independent scientists - here. It contain also the derivative russian patents, based on my patent - from independent russian guys unknown to me.

how do you seriously build a stable, user friendly cable warped in video tape...........................................................

What about mPPe , I purchased 300' of 2 spools of 'ether' isolation cable solid core 18 gage to hook up many of my amplifiers, very costly cable (tinned copper high purity). I am concerned about the environment so I used this. However I was not satisfied for the easy to use to remove the insulator, I use it mostly to hook up pre-amp tube heaters...

I am curious about what you russian scientists think about the 'ether' maybe now mPPe dielectric in wires, ( I custom ordered from Alpha wires around 2 years ago).

Last edited:
Please no offense intended, ferrous metals have eddy current distortion easily measured it has nothing to do with shielding. I have measured and published a note on it, an air-core inductor / film cap filter had distortion when even a pair of diagonal cutters came close let alone putting it on a steel lab bench.

Scott,

Please no offense intended on my end either.

I could not resist.

I stumbled across this plot from a few months ago. I bought 20 or so wet slug tantalum capacitors on EBAY.

I followed Douglas Self’s method and tested one for distortion. I put the test inside a rather large grounded NEMA 1 enclosure. There is a non-copper clad 1/8 inch thick piece of fiberglass sheet insulating and separating the DUT from the bottom of the steel enclosure.

You can see that the FFT is at the distortion floor of the APx analyzer. There must be more to the story of eddy current distortion.

Also attached is a LCR / phase plot.

Thanks DT

Attachments

• FFT Spectrum 47uf wet slug.png
    FFT Spectrum 47uf wet slug.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 220
  • wet 47uf.jpg
    wet 47uf.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 217
I just found out about this cable company, they have a video that shows how their cable does for skin effect and proximity effect. Nice to see a company show test equipment results. I have not heard any of this companies cables.

YouTube

While it is nice to see test equipment being used, this demo is of little use.

They didn't show the current distribution of the hollow oval wire. It will do the exact same thing the solid wires do as a result of proximity.

In EMC, this is what we call the centroids of the currents attempting to come together.

It is interesting they used a "low capacitance cable" to compare against. As in, low capacitance means high inductance.

The product LC = 1034 EDC, where EDC is effectively 4 to 5 for most geometries...rules.

Halve the capacitance doubles the inductance.

jn

Status
Not open for further replies.