Simply the Best - LiveWave AMP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let me get this right.....A nice design, :cool: just a bit complex

This is a fully balanced amp that does BTL (Bridged) and only takes the NFB from the 15K going to the HOT (+) output? Does the other output (-) follow but in the opposite direction despite not having a feedback connection to it?

Does the fully balanced design reduce THD% by having a more equal swing?

Re: Re: again about op-amp driver

fojica said:

hi, Stee
i guess maybe it's a bit tricky...but....this is not a traditional class AB amplifier, it's current dumping principle. that means existence of an alternative current bridge...and R10 is part of that bridge, composed by R10-C3-R11-L1. accuracy of the bridge has pretty big importance on amplifier response, so R10 can't go...this is my point of view after reading some documentation about Quad405 and current dumping principles.
please correct me if i'm wrong.
also the op-amp don't drive speaker directly (DC-mode), because there is C2 and JP1(jumper)...C2 is not really needed because original schematic had 741 as op-amp,and the 741 needed some correction...but for TL071 it's not the case. so, JP1 can be in "open" state and then is no direct connection between op-amp and speaker. in fact, JP1 is currently open in my case (his short/open state influence i found being null so far). if it useful somehow i can give the original link, where can be found original schematic and also some details about that one posted by me.
regards,
Tibi

Foijca is right, his schematic is an unconventional feedforward-error-correction.
I think it is correct and very interesting to test

@pintur
thank you ;)
indeed, as i've already said, that amp was built by me for the same scope (test)...and it was a surprise because sound is pretty detailed and dynamical. it's not tiring to listen, also not too bright or too mild.
mine was supplied by +/-38V.
i didn't try to change TL071 for a better amp, maybe it can provide a better sound this way.
if you want more info about that amp, please tell me.

off-topic: right now i'm building another current-dumping, info in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124348

regards,
Tibi

2 little ideas

Hello everyone,

I have 2 remarks concerning these designs :

1) About the free running mode : to create a floating ground between the power supply rails is forcing the signal into these caps right?
Audiophiles don't like caps, especially huge electrolytic ones with value decreasing with time and non linear behavior (hysteresis at least). A
little one in the NF loop does sound better to me. Anyway, why bother since last moment tweaking will easily reduce the DC output to less than 200mV? I never used any cap in my NF loops before...

2) How could the design with the opamp be a feed forward? It's current dumping for sure but the opamp is to low in power to correct the dumper errors. Furthermore, the feedforward amp should be a class A one because his primary aim is to correct the main type of distortion NF is unable to correct in a class B design : cross-over distortion! That's also why the dumper should be a strict class B or slight C device, if the crossover and switching phenomenon occur for a too high output voltage, it's putting more strain on the power limited class A amp.

I hope my remarks are right.

3 universal quality together

Hello
in the various experiments described I think I have generated some confusion ...

as we know when it is possible to have every stage in perfect complementarity
the sound improves ...
(for example with the stadium entrance is an OP-AMP the rest is symmetrical)

improves the sound even when you have two amplifiers working together but in opposite phase...
(it's worth recalling that the configuration AB bridge or balanced involves the simultaneous activation and superimposed channel N and P as in Class A)

what I discovered (about Nelson) and I ask you to test on your amplifier (be cautions - start with a resistor on output)
is that eliminating capacitors in the circuit
improves the sound so very significant

the use of capacitors output was only a caution!

shorting the condenser of feedback with a resistive load instead of the speaker
you realize immediately that the gap permanent of direct current in output
there are negligible

in case of configuration to bridge this stable component halves

that's why I developed the tandem mirror system:

1 -to have an input absolutely complementary (something impossible with the OP-AMP)

2 -to have a balanced output (then with a DC-Offset minimum)

3 -and of course playing with a clean feedback (the Feedback Capacitor Less method may be is not my invention)

try to beleve if I say the true:whazzat:

keep in mind that these qualities are valid for each amplifier (universal)
do not need a particular schematic:( :(

Attachments

• fcl.jpg
    fcl.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 272
Thank you for your answer,

I understand your point of bridging. I'm not a big fan of bridging but why not. About the use of LTP as VAS stage, Douglas Self showed it's not the optimal configuration but there is nothing really wrong with it. The biggest question that arise is about the NF picking point : since the final stage is not included, it will not enjoy the NF distortion lowering. Most part of the distortion in a power amp appears in that final stage so it will stay untouched at the output. Again, it's a matter of choice but why?

essential quality for true realism (of music)

Thank you for your answer,

Most part of the distortion in a power amp appears in that final stage so it will stay untouched at the output:

true but don't need NFB because don't have gain (in voltage)

the criterion of essential quality suggests not to add components where there is not needed

even if this variation try on your amplifier
you realize that the harmonics increase generously:angel:

Attachments

• abcd.jpg
    abcd.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 279
Hello again,

I don't think that this "gain in the last stage" question is relevant for distortion cancellation by NF. The distortion is an added component and is not amplified (unless it comes from the previous stage off course). It's more a question of gain difference between open and closed loop in the overall system leaving headroom for NF.
And even if the overall system has low gain or unity gain, you can still get a powerful NF by adding gain in the NF loop, with the subsequent problem of linearity in the NF loop.

To include both polarity in the NF of your amp, I guess you could maybe loop the (-) NF point to the (+) of the input pair and let the pair make the subtraction. I don't know about the stability problems it could cause but it seems ok to me. The other solution would be to stay with a unique return path and substract before applying the NF to the (-) of the input, with an opamp for example.

I maybe wrong but let's discuss it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.