Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I could complicate this a little, but agree with Salas above, with some observations that regardless of the carts we have here in terms of cost—baring the actual real listening differences that seem to be apparent with technologies like cantilever material and stylus shape—listening impressions between Ultra dipped for maximum gain vs. FSP configured for MM and run through two different SUTs including the Lundahls (and a friend even bought over his $$$$ "custom built" SUT "matched" to his HanaML for a taste test).... The long and short is—it's all matter of personal taste between all the configurations—there is no winner—and we can A/B pretty effectively on a 2 arm plinth and ready-to-go headshells literally dropping the stylus in mid stream and flipping the preamp source—quite effective and revealing (such a thing done blind would be even better).

(I would love to try something Ortofon and Dynavector though...wait... ALL of them!). Enjoy the process!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well I havent been in a hifi store for years. And last I did it I was really disappointed. The sound is better at home. And that for the same reason you mention. I have built up my own taste over the years.
But I will give it a try to be able to hear difference in carts. And even better bring this riaa if possible.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have listened to that cart for long enough. The 0.48mV Bloom H variety. Initially on a Systemdek IIX with RB300 but mainly on a VPI Classic. It offers good value, its musical not too analytical despite its line contact stylus. Of course not as open and agile as a three times more expensive ZYX Airy which conveys more of the brand's signature sound.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Can I just say how much I'm lately loving this thread? My UFSP sounds terrific and I'm very grateful for the opportunity to build and own a phono preamp of its calibre, but this discussion of the merits of (mostly mid-priced) cartridges has been amazing. Most often, cartridge discussions seem testosterone-fueled -- who can wax rhapsodic the most about an irrationally-priced cartridge? But not this conversation, which comes across as well-intentioned, rational and ego-free, is a delight.

Reactions: 10 users
Regarding FSP (62db gain) and Hana ML, this is the combination I currently use and I am really happy with the result. The ML is a nice all rounder. I have used a more expensive cart in the past, but I prefer this one. It just ticks all the boxes. Fingers crossed, Thursday night I will have the UFSP ready and will see if I can perceive any difference at all. Eager and curious about that. I can also try the UFSP in MM mode with cinemags 1254.

Reactions: 1 users
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Today I got the opportunity to test the ZYX R50 cart in my own system. Will be fun to see if it will do any good. Any thoughts about it? And I will (of cource)come back with some listening impressions when it arrives in a couple of days..
I read an R50 Bloom 3 review on stereonet. It had a bit of info on the brand's background. "The soul of the company is founder Mr. Nakatsuka San, who is also president and chief engineer. He has worked extensively in audio and his achievements include the development of the first optical cartridge and a stint in Denmark with Ortofon, where he designed a signature model MC-20. ZYX takes its name from the analogue three-dimensional elements comprising Time (Z), Amplitude (Y) and Frequency (X)."

You own an MC 20 and you are expecting a ZYX. Funny how things carts designer come full circle. :)

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for the information. What a coincidence. Will be really interesting to set the R50 Bloom up for test and compare it to the MC 20. I just got it and will do a test soon :)

Attachments

• ZYX1.jpg
    ZYX1.jpg
    768.6 KB · Views: 86
  • ZYX2.jpg
    ZYX2.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 86
  • ZYX3.jpg
    ZYX3.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 90
I have listened to that cart for long enough. The 0.48mV Bloom H variety. Initially on a Systemdek IIX with RB300 but mainly on a VPI Classic. It offers good value, its musical not too analytical despite its line contact stylus. Of course not as open and agile as a three times more expensive ZYX Airy which conveys more of the brand's signature sound.
May I comment that 0.48mV is at the Japanese measuring system at 3.54cm/sec, so on our standards it's of higher output 0.68mV at 5cm/sec., 1kHz

Now we´re talking! This is what im looking for. More details, dynamics and what I would say is a hi fidelity cart. The ZYX R50 set up with 100ohms load, 2g tracking force and aligned with mirror working in the 62dB range. This stylus is old but not as old as the Ortofon MC20 but performs better in my system. For not to mention the Hana EL. Absolutly silent and I had problems betting rid of hum with the MC20. Playing Yazz at the Pawnshop with Arne Domnerus. I can reckomend this reckording. It is really good. And apologies for the messy workshop area :) What can I say im happy with this and will do some more tweeks to get it as good as I can.
ZYX.jpg

Technical Data
(red letters : High output Model)
TypeMoving Coil (Dynamic)
“REAL STEREO” Generator System
Output Voltage0.24mV (0.48mV) (3.54cm/sec, 1kHz)
Frequency Response
±1dB
10 Hz - 40 kHz
20 Hz - 20 kHz
Channel Separation> 25dB 〔 1kHz 〕
Channel Balance< 0.5dB 〔 1kHz 〕
Recommended Tracking Force2.0gm 〔 20 ゜C-25 ゜C 〕
Tracking Force Range1.7gm - 3.0gm
Trackablity> 60μm
EQ Compliancehorizontal
vertical
15×10-6cm/dyne
12×10-6cm/dyne
Internal Impedance4.0 Ω (8.0 Ω)
Load Impedance> 100Ω
Coil Wire6N Copper Wire φ0.03mm
Cantilever Materialblack ALM g5 tube φ0.38/ φ0.3mm
StylusLine-contact Solid Diamond □ 0.1mm
Contact Radius, Life Time6μm×60μm, 2000Hour/2.0gm
Output Terminalsφ1.25mm gold plated 〔 EIA 〕
Terminal BoardGlass Epoxy Plate
DimensionsW (Width) : 16.3mm
L (Length) Body / with Terminals : 19.6mm / 23.5mm
H (Height) : 15.5mm
Net Weight5.0gm

Reactions: 3 users
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nice to know that you found a good solution that you like right from the start. Its the tin base 7.7g mass assembly I believe because it has TB in red on the box. What R50 edition is it? With the black aluminium as in the above specs or the later duraluminium cantilever?

Salas you are right about the tin base . And I belive it is one of the first editions without numbers.
My system is this RIAA with my own White Catode Follower pre with Muses wolume control. At the moment a hybride 20W class A amp who is really current strong into my own total refurbished Quad ESL57s with new membranes. But I have sevaral pre-amps and amps to change with. I also fancy Quad amps the Quad II and the 303 who works good with ESL57s.

Reactions: 2 users
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
May I comment that 0.48mV is at the Japanese measuring system at 3.54cm/sec, so on our standards it's of higher output 0.68mV at 5cm/sec., 1kHz
But also many times measured at 47kΩ. You may see load noted on some individual test sheet in a cart's box. Best is to verify with a "1kHz 0dB" test track. Which is 5cm/sec velocity in European and American test records. RIAA has its zero gain/zero attenuation point at 1kHz.
With some normal choice listening Ω load and a measured gain preamp you can securely verify. Say you get half a volt AC from the 0dB track through 60dB gain, that's 0.5V/1000=0.5mV cartridge output.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all, first try with UFSP. It seems something's wrong in both channels. I cannot get any voltage in TP when setting for 62db gain. Just to make sure, that should be S5 ON, S6 ON, S9 ON, all others off right? I can get more or less the test point voltage in all other settings.

Rail can be set easily with Ubib VR1to 34V.

Any ideas what to check?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hmm... Maybe your particular 2SK369s have strong Idss and need more than 34V rail for proper TP reading in highest gain mode. Lift RVR1's one leg in the PSU and the max adjust Vout ceiling will free up. You may find it necessary to wind down the VR1 trimmer a lot from where it is now though.