Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I recommend you test the Raw DC board's outputs with 470 Ohm 10W dummy load resistors before connecting the rest of UFSP to it. So we see about best RDLink value for those transformers. We want to keep loaded raw DC below 48V.

300mA slo-blo fuse should take the two 30VA transformers inrush on European mains because there's RDLink too which damps the reservoir caps. But if it proves too closely fused for them tripping from time to time without a real reason, you are allowed up to 750mA primary fuse for 60VA in total.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
By the way
Say someone relies on a device is switched off and proceeds to check its fuse. But the power cord is left connected to the mains. If the fuse is wired before the power switch there's a chance he can touch live spots in the fuse assembly.
The switch before fuse practice in my PSU schematics isn't necessarily common or intuitive I see, especially in older equipment, but it seems best.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thanks again!
I was wondering a bit as there are IECs having a fuse, but no switch.
( https://www.hypex.nl/product/power-connector-iec-60320-c14-fused/118 )
I know it’s a picky point as it’s not possible to get hit by fumbling with the fuse… Anyway I go a slightly different way and I prefer having the fuse after the switch.
Will source me a 10W resistor as per your recommendation and get on another build-journey… 🤗

Joined 2017
Paid Member
@RickRay haha, yesofcourse, that makes sense...

Completely different something that occurred to me: In the
Folded Simplistic PCB build guide's BOM, a RG174 coax wire is recommended... as this thing has a steel core, I'm wodering about that? (I mean, I more often than not read :rolleyes: that steel-core isn't well suited for signal-lines... ? OTOH it's a BOM of master Salas' hand?

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Looks like! Grrr.
I thought those RGnumber were sort of a reference.
I'm very much on your side concerning audibility of technical details. Core materials is something I was more cautious. So instead of a RG174 I went with Mogami 2520, very nice to work with! (In the COAX-context that is)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The PE symbol point on raw PSU board, the mains earth line from the IEC power connector, the static shield wire from the transformer, they all should go to a secure chassis bolt without excess lengths as much as practical. Star earth like.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Dear Salas
I guess I’m there: With lighbulb-tester and 470R 10W on the outputs, I have 40.3VDC…
Not sure wether that’s a bit lowish, and the resistors get warm. I didn’t let it on very long (a minute or so?)

Attachments

• CEB278BA-FF36-4698-9896-9D5A9C431D32.jpeg
    CEB278BA-FF36-4698-9896-9D5A9C431D32.jpeg
    454.1 KB · Views: 81