Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Meanwhile for the current UFSP phono guise I just added two cautionary text lines in post #17791. The one with the DIP switches configuration info and schematics.

CAUTION! Don't switch S5-S12 when the phono is powered on.
CAUTION! Don't switch S1-S4 when the system volume is open.

I know its intuitive not to reconfigure a circuit with the power on and not to change cartridge loads with the volume up, but I better remind it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would alternatively suggest

Q5x 3,4
Q2x 5,6 R6x 47Ω
Q3x 1,2
Q7 7,8

My reasoning is to bias Q4x BJT lighter via small IDSS Q5x saving on dissipation. Because Q4x has high voltage across it but no means to moderate its current bias while Q2x has high voltage too but there is R6x to moderate it.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have 6 BC550C in the mini kit I purchased and the hFE are very close - 209 to 217 but are low to what you ask in the instructions (600), Will they be OK or should I order a few and try to find some higher hFE.

Thanks

If these came from my kits, this is very suprising. Did you measure the BC560c to see if they came in low as well?
I suspect the measurements are inaccurate for one reason or another. The OnSemi/Fairchild BC5X0c were all high Hfe.

If these came from my kits, this is very suprising. Did you measure the BC560c to see if they came in low as well?
I suspect the measurements are inaccurate for one reason or another. The OnSemi/Fairchild BC5X0c were all high Hfe.

Hi there. Yes they are your kits. The 560 also were around 200 so maybe it is the measuring at fault. It is a new DMM with hFE capability which I do not have on my old Fluke. Short of getting another DMM to cross check is there another route to measure the hFE?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi there. Yes they are your kits. The 560 also were around 200 so maybe it is the measuring at fault. It is a new DMM with hFE capability which I do not have on my old Fluke. Short of getting another DMM to cross check is there another route to measure the hFE?

Maybe the DMM tries them at 10 μΑ or something to save on its battery. They would usually need 1-2mA Ic to meet their spec.

IMHO don't get another DMM just for hfe, each one has its own arbitrary standard, get a dirt cheap component tester from eBay.
Which will be all around useful to you for identifying various components, it even has LCR functions. OK ballpark stuff but handy.

Maybe the DMM tries them at 10 μΑ or something to save on its battery. They would usually need 1-2mA Ic to meet their spec.

IMHO don't get another DMM just for hfe, each one has its own arbitrary standard, get a dirt cheap component tester from eBay.
Which will be all around useful to you for identifying various components, it even has LCR functions. OK ballpark stuff but handy.

You have it spot on, I checked the detailed specs and the DMM has a limit of 2μA for hfe testing.

I will get a component tester as it would help me in general.

Thanks again