Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As I had wrote before when we were discussing the Miller reduction effect, it won't be perfect in real life with just the Vds provided by common gate JFET on top. That is why I was suspicious about the simulator precisely predicting the HF Riaa cap on single shot with the rather coarse JFET spice models. You should listen in stereo with best cart available and take some time of course.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Soon I will finish second board and than I will have the pleasure to fine tune it with the Benz cart.

Yes, it is a D3000... how did you know?

And yes, the output cap is the "missing link" so I will go blue in time.

There are also upgrades coming the V12R way off course :)

In the end I will do a double mono psu with r-cores.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The exercise is we ball park a safe HF cap value to recommend. Then each builder will have tonal influences from his cart, arm, set up, chosen caps, regs, etc. But there must be something to be based at.

About the camera, EXIF data told me. I was wondering if its just your own outdoors shots or a coincidence, that is why I asked. The birds are not that historically appreciating by the way.:D

As everybody recommending teflon for the 47nf interstage capacitor i've found a cheap and easy way to source some 22nf FT-1 teflons. Would be a good idea to buy 4 of them and install paraleled ?

For the 47nf in the RIAA network polystyrene would be good ?

Last edited:
Hi MASantos

The original ( and regarded THE BEST ) Toshiba brand part is easily available on eBay.
Just eBay search 2SK170.
No need for LT re-models.
Check eBay seller Polida ( or many others ).
I just bought 10 ( & will probably buy more depending on matching ).

ORIGINAL Toshiba 2SK170-BL...' Polida ' ( eBay seller ) 10 of £2.50p inc delivery, about 2.5 Euros.
Cheap as chips !
Simples.

Although 'adequate' many have commented that the 'subjective' sound quality of the LT remodels is poor by comparison.

Cheers

Si.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Keep in mind, cowboy legged K170s coming off an ammo tape strip are usually less likely to be counterfeit. The little circle at their curved back must have no symbol inside, and you can usually see a little copperish hue at the leads point of exit from the plastic.