Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Balanced

I'm starting the balanced PCB, I haven't got any 9V battery to measuring LED string volage, I want to use mine bench psu but only need an information: how much current I have to fix for 4 leds? & for 3 leds is the same current or must change depending how many leds?

Last edited:
Looks impressive, the arm is an original Schroeders? wich cart are you using? the base is Silestone or Corian?
Compared your TT vs ours TT, ours TT seems toys!!!!!

Don't worry, it took me some years and a lot of investment ...

Sorry no Schroeder Tonearm, it's a "DaVinci Grandezza" tonearm and will be replaced by my own design soon - hopefully :)

The base is from a multiplex construct out of tonewood - 11 years seasoned - and veneered, here Ebony. Finish is 12 layers with violin lacquer.

Let's stop here because this shall not be an advertisment, so if you like more informations contact me by E-Mail.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sorry no Schroeder Tonearm, it's a "DaVinci Grandezza" tonearm and will be replaced by my own design soon - hopefully :)

Wow other high-end super-expensive tonearm, let me know if you mind to sell it when replaced by your own design (I can't imagine your own design will be stratospheric....)

Do you posted in DiyAudio a thread with your tonearm design?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Merlin

Can you post something more specific ?

A schematic would be wonderfull :)

Hi RCruz

You don't need any schematic, simply instead 2 channels (left+right single ended) you must make 4 channels (1 channel left+, 2 channel left-, 3 channel right+ & 4 channel right-) & gnd for balanced is take where you connect your TT gnd in the box of phono preamp.;)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thank you Merlin

What are the eventual benefits from such an implementation ?

How do you connect the cart ? One wire to each amplifier ? How do you load the cart ?

You need a balanced preamplifier to receive the signal from the riaa or are you planning to use a TX ?

Hope I am not beeing boring with my questions :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just implemented the IEC inlet shield using two sheets of metal (cut from a food container).

These twwo sheets are separated by 0.5mm of air and connected to the chassis gnd.

Incredible results.... hum is now inaudible (it was mainly beeing picked up by the cart load resistor network).

A little off topic but very interesting... Yesterday a friend brought me a Monster Cable mains filter for repair...... (It was stuck in protection mode)

After some work, it is running now and just for testing I connected it between my ricgeddon TT PSU and the TT. Fantastic subjective results.... Lower noise from the motor resulted in substantial gains in detail, bass retrieval and stage size :):):)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thank you Merlin

What are the eventual benefits from such an implementation ?

How do you connect the cart ? One wire to each amplifier ? How do you load the cart ?

You need a balanced preamplifier to receive the signal from the riaa or are you planning to use a TX ?

Hope I am not beeing boring with my questions :)

Avoid ground loops & +3dBs more gain, but the important issue is avoiding ground loops.

Yes one wire to each amp, you don't need a balanced input connector, RCA+ to amp+, RCAgnd to amp- (both channels left & right the same)

Each channel needs the same load.

Yes I have 4 channels Balanced Erno Borbely preamp, also mine power amps are fully balanced Erno Borbely 75WRMS, but if you don't have a really balanced preamp & power amp don't spend the money because your money will be lost if you don't use the rest of the system really balanced.

In mine balanced I will do like in mine preamp: will use a swicth to connect & disconnect the signal- to gnd so can go unbalanced & balanced.

Don't worry ask all your doubts.

Joaa,
My wife would be very un happy bringing in the boulder you have your turn table setting on. It would be the ultimate TT stand, however. Nice TT by the way;-)

Thanks for the kudos regarding the TT, and yes I'm very proud about it. I agree with your wife, a boulder in the living room... maybe an ultimate kick for some people. But for a foto it was a nice place to place it onto.

BTW, my next plan for a smaller TT

Attachments

• arturus 01_1.jpg
    arturus 01_1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 265
Wow other high-end super-expensive tonearm, let me know if you mind to sell it when replaced by your own design (I can't imagine your own design will be stratospheric....)

Do you posted in DiyAudio a thread with your tonearm design?

This is one of the first manufactured lot from the Grandezza, hope you understand that I cannot sell it :)

My tonearm design is current in my mind and exist in some sketches. Not reality yet and I don't plan to open a thread because it will be a commercial product.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This is one of the first manufactured lot from the Grandezza, hope you understand that I cannot sell it :)

My tonearm design is current in my mind and exist in some sketches. Not reality yet and I don't plan to open a thread because it will be a commercial product.

I understand you perfectly.

Only was curiosity I'm not enough knowledge to make a simple tonearm so for me is impossible to do a super-tonearm to fight vs the best design ever made.