Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have to confirm this phono is revealing :)

Has anybody perhaps tried this isolator?

You can be sure it is revealing !

Regarding the isolator.... Do you believe the top screws are not connected to the lower nuts ?

I mean, does the isolator alow any compliance beween the arm and cart ?

Looks like the rubber part that isolates the counterweight from the arm tube in a SME3009....:spin:

Ricardo

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
for the isolator I have read good and bed ...as Salas suggestion better fun DIY ,copper ,nylon washer/screw ,not so tight ...

It was easy to DIY a finger lift for my 774 so I don't think it is not easy to DIY some damper interface ideas. Disco is very adept.

774DL160.jpg

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi,

Rcruz- do you have dimensions for your pcb layout posted in post #2180 ?
I will include it in my next revision. Is this OK with you ?

Hi Pete

It is not a pcb... I used it to guide me in a p2p riaa.

There is a last version and the measures are exactly as in the pdf (10 x 16cm)

Ricardo

Attachments

• ExpressPCB Salas Riaa V14.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 148
It is worthwhile, and much audible in this case. It controls the overall voicing tilt. You can overshoot to 16n1, but don't let it be under 16n.
Also, be aware of a small offset introduced by the probes and wires. My Fluke 87 indicates 0,4nF without a component attached.

NB Nice tonearm Salas. Lots of praise still after so many years since introduction. Does your player have a heavy platter? The Dual 505 has a flimsy one :eek:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
NB Nice tonearm Salas. Lots of praise still after so many years since introduction. Does your player have a heavy platter? The Dual 505 has a flimsy one :eek:

Not too heavy, 2kg, but it is non metallic, ''Tufnol'' as well as its sub platter, some very dead to knock on Scottish composite material. The whole deck is made out of organic materials, has wooden beams T cross three point sprung sub chassis. Its a Walker CJ58-MK2 that it was donated to me in wretched condition before hitting the dumpster. I have resurrected it from the dead with the invaluable help of my friend Michael. The arm got in to pieces and back, DIY arm lift, and finger lift, rewired with Cardas, it was hanging like a dead man's head when we got it, and we added some mastic around platter's bearing well after fixing the suspension. Luckily the motor and pulley were silent & intact, as well as the main bearing. I found that my best mat with that platter was an am antistatic, although I have even tried drummer's practice 12'' silencers and carbon fiber B$ high-end mat, among others, and of course VS directly on Tufnol. Its the mosquito plane of the 80's British decks and I love its feel good sound. It certainly took some zing out of the mix after replacing one of my full metal jacket SL1200 MKIIs. Technics has a greatly practical arm, precisely built, VTA arm base ring, and is dead pitch stable BTW, sounding robust and resolute with an MC cart. It matches the DL103 well too. I want a VPI HW19 IV with an SME IV and a cleaning machine when I grow up, so Nicoch will stop nagging me about my dusty vinyl records.:D
I used to have a Dual 505 MKI with 881s on a special arm head shell adapter when I was a teen, it does not have ballsy lows but it is open and resolute. Its due to carrying too light a metallic platter you know. Maybe you can dampen its platter underneath and try some mats.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The first 505 had a special head shell for accepting only its OEM Ortofon. It could lock or release easily with the cue lever and used surface contacts at its top between the cart and shell. Like those in PC memory chips. It was probably thought out for having ultra light cart as well as arm without discontinuity or mounting and geometry hassle on factory assembly. That was a low budget deck that had a very decent well adapted MM cart for mass and compliance. Non the less there was an original Dual flat sub shell spare part that had aluminum wings and you could mount other carts. Alas, with heavy enough carts it could hang a bit at its tail and make a silly contact. The deck proved so good and popular that they did the decent thing with the 550-2 and included a removable head shell with rails as normal, so enough people could attach the cartridges they fancied, still coming with its very good MM. This is the Dual deck you got. They even had a deluxe veneered chipboard plinth 505-2. VTA can play enough by changing mats of different thickness. Each mat will sound different for its mass and material. Damping the platter from inside, will prove very influential. Worth investigating.

Attachments

• 505-1.gif
    505-1.gif
    33.8 KB · Views: 520
  • 505-2shell.gif
    505-2shell.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 505-2dlx.jpg
    505-2dlx.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 519
  • 505shell.gif
    505shell.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 454
MKT 1822 as Inter stage Cap

Been listening to my Salas RIAA built from generic parts until substituting a 0.1uF MKT 1822 as the inter stage cap early today. Running it in now, but I thought I hear improvement in clarity and slightly better defined bass already.

Anybody use it in their built?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Been listening to my Salas RIAA built from generic parts until substituting a 0.1uF MKT 1822 as the inter stage cap early today. Running it in now, but I thought I hear improvement in clarity and slightly better defined bass already.

Anybody use it in their built?

This particular cap is fundamental for the overall detail.

Use the best you can get.... Try cccp Teflon FT-3 100nF.... easy to get on ebay.

You will be amazed.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The FT-2 is doing the same job and it is less in size if you chance on it. 250V cap same construction. If still big for some compact constructions, a 0.1uF Auricap surely fits. As far as MKT goes, surely the Vishay that Tham used as well as ICEL are good ones.