• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

simple preamp from half 12ax7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi
want to tray build simple preamp, no feedback, 2 channel from single 12ax7.
I want to connect a R2R DAC to it.
after the preamp i have single ended VFAT (only one transistor)

I'm worried about exit impedance of the pre :confused:

Attachments

• tmp.jpg
    tmp.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 425
the DAC output is 1mA on 100 ohm resistor.
plug this to the preamp (in the picture).
I measured the signal at the output in the preamplifier, I do not remember so much, but something in the 5 volt range output.

don't know the impedance of the power amp, but when i build it, the recommendation was that need a preamp with very low impedance and high voltage output.

the reason that i remove the 12ax7 cathode follower it's because i measure high 2nd harmonics and 3nd harmonics in the output.
and without follower i measure only 2nd harmonics, that i like.

If you need the high gain and a low output impedance you have 2 options: add a cathode follower after the 12AX7. You better use a 12AT7 in stead of a 12AX7 for this stage.

The other option is to use a different tube with high gain and low Rp, e.g. a EC86 or D3A (triode switched)

thanks
do you have schematic for this circuit?
i understand that the V+ and filament are same?
thanks

No I don't have ready-to-go schematics but it is a very simple circuit. I've found: Hybrid Amplifier by Andrea Ciuffoli where you can get some ideas for the D3A.

Note that your demand of high gain (~50) is much higher than preamps typically deliver. In fact it is more like an input stage of an integrated amp. I am busy with a similar 'preamp' that should be able to drive a EL84 directly (~7V). I am thinking of using the D3A for it.

I believe your best option is to forget the cathode follower, this tube of yours has low gm, it will be unsuitable for low distortion in that position. Use a FET follower, it will be transparent and preserve the sound you like so far.
Thank you very much, an interesting idea.
Is there a particular reason you want all the gain that a 12AX7 has to offer?
maybe i have miscalculation:
DAC output is +-1mA on 100 ohm resistor, so 0.1v+-
i measure with scope, the power amplifier at full volume is 2.5Vptp
so i need 25 gain

need a new post: Which tube is suitable for 20 gain and low exit resistance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.