Simple, no-math transformer snubber using Quasimodo test-jig

listening test

That very slight rectifier buzz ( the one I had to stick my ear in the speaker to hear ) is gone. The amp is dead silent. As far as sound quality goes. The Aleph J has always been a great performer. The music comes out of a silent background. A very worthwhile addition to the amp, easy and inexpensive.

Attachments

• 20191018_114351.jpg
    20191018_114351.jpg
    1,017 KB · Views: 542
That very slight rectifier buzz ( the one I had to stick my ear in the speaker to hear ) is gone. The amp is dead silent. As far as sound quality goes. The Aleph J has always been a great performer. The music comes out of a silent background. A very worthwhile addition to the amp, easy and inexpensive.

Cool, so the snubber took care of the buzz. Thanks for the update. I didn;t have my snubber jig until after I build the F5T and was thinking of pulling the tranny, but it's dead silent and a loath to try and get those leads out and back in the PSU. The next build will have monolithic bridge and will be snubbed.

Last edited:
Mezmerize-dcb1-buffer gets snubbers. The two sections of the secondary in the transformer are different, so the snubber resistors will be different. The Dcb1 is dead silent. Going forward I will include snubbers on all my builds.

EI transformers, most those I've tested, have higher leakage inductance than toroidal transformers, while the recipe remains the same, the quantity of ingredients changes.

... I've used this on two other transformers with success, this one doesn't want to cooperate. It is an Antek AN-10440. Any ideas?

I had a similar issue that turned out to be a problem with the adjustable resistor that came with my kit: a "Bochen 3296W" that started giving me screwy resistances after a short while. Bought a legit Bourns 3296W from a local electronics store and problem solved. So check the make of the 3296W.

cheers, Derek

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Also buy a 200R multiturn trimmer pot and a 50R multiturn trimmer pot, from a top tier brand like TE Connectivity or Bourns or TT Electronics, sold by a top tier distributor like DigiKey or Mouser or Arrow or RS Components or Element14. The 1000 VA transformer may have a very low leakage inductance, meaning its optimum snubbing resistor value is quite low. When you own low-valued trimpots, you're ready!