Simple DSD modulator for DSC2

As far as I know, everyone determines the dithering level for a single-bit sigma-delta experimentally, because dither theory only applies when you have more quantization levels available.

good to know...thx

Would you be open to sending the code for the project?
SMathews

unfortunately no, I have other plans .....

If Olek & Pjotr are OK with this, I'd be happy to build a small batch of boards (test / program them) if you dont find other options (currently located in mainland Europe)...

of course ok :)

Joined 2017
Paid Member

olo111 and Markw4, Thanks for your information. I have almost understood what CSD means. Multiplierless solution is fantastic, indeed.:) But I think you need to tweak CSD for a specific FPGA architecture because the adder also has the limitation; available numbers and speed. As you know, CRFB requires six inputs adder if you include local FBs(g0,g1,g2). Three stages adder(pic.1) is probably max due to propagation delay. It occupies many adders. The very trouble that forces me to fail the routing is not the lack of multiplier but adder, which is invisible even in ISE circumstance(pic2). My strategy is usually full usage of block ram and multiplier(100% guaranteed) and as little usage adder as possible. Xc6slx25 can implement up to two 6th order DSM in 160OSR. Of course, I guess you have a CSD-based strategy. ;)

A similar technique like CSD is a constant coefficient multiplier, which replaces a multiplier with block ram. Pic3 is multiplier less calculation of g1(0x16e4632b) for local FB. The calculation of a0,a1,,,, and a6 doesn't need a multiplier, too. The total number you need to calculate DSM is six 18x18 multipliers, acceptable even with a small FPGA(xc6slx25). That's my strategy, and you have another one. It's wonderful everyone has their way. :):)

Attachments

• adder.jpg
    adder.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 585
  • stats.jpg
    stats.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 548
  • mul.jpg
    mul.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:
Please forgive me for the inconvenient questions. I have not found the .sch and .brd files in the files you shared in pcm2dsd_gerber.zip and pcm2dsd_boom.zip

Can you share the schematic as a *.pdf file !?
I want quick try it on "https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtWaXJ5" available in my country and I need schematic or pinout mapping on your board.