Simple DSD modulator for DSC2

I've had PCBs for this since you guys originally posted your design - then parts availability became a problem and I haven't touched it. Many places now show the Xilinx processor as discontinued but a quick search showed this place as apparently having stock - is it the correct part? Not sure if it can be assumed the parts will be genuine - anyone able to comment?

https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail...LDs-FPGAs_XILINX-XC6SLX9-2TQG144C_C27408.html
It is the correct part, but I don't know if the parts will be original...

Remember in this topic you have 3 versions of the modulator that you can try.
Eg. the higher the order, the lower the harmonics.
But what sounds better, you have to try it yourself...
Sometimes we like more harmonics sometimes less...

Our SDM 7th order #1
xx3stksm SDM 5th order #182
xx3stksm SDM 4th order #196

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2009
Paid Member

Our SDM 7th order #1
How to know wich one use my pcb?

How to change?

Post #1 says: "To upload the attached bitstream file to the board you need a Xilinx programmer cable and Xilinx program Impact."

You need the Impact software and a JTAG programmer box. Impact comes with the necessary drivers for the hardware programmer. Impact is included in the Xilinx ISE software installer package. You need to create a Xilinx account to download and install it.

EDIT: If you decide to install Impact on Windows10, 64-bit, you may find some problems getting it to run. If so, I have some notes on how to work around it.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
In the photo I can see that the wire is only inserted into the socket, you don't have a good connection.
You need to solder the wires to the PCB or to the connector.
Still doesn't convert DSD

Attachments

• IMG_20221102_155500.jpg
    IMG_20221102_155500.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20221102_155642.jpg
    IMG_20221102_155642.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 58
As you can see I changed the DSDON wire with wire with 2 connectors but still doesn't work.
Have replied your PM, also if you are using reclock or other DSC board that is not DSC 2.5.2 or 2.6.2, you will need to check if the pin are all correct.
I think I soldered 2 additional wire and use the original amanero usb to make this work correctly on my setup.

Maybe time to check signals with the scope? If so, might want to solder a ground test point onto the board to connect the probe ground clip. Check incoming clock, data, mute, and DSD_ON signals during PCM playback. Do they all look good? If so, check DSD output BCLK, DSD_L, and DSD_R signals. Do they look good? If so, check them coming into the DAC. Somewhere you will probably find something wrong. If not, maybe we will ask you to post scope screenshots so we can double check for anything suspicious.

Our SDM 7th order #1
Thanks for the reminder. It'll likely be some time before the Xilinx is delivered, let alone assembled onto a PCB, but I'll download the various modulators and get mysel with the programmer...

I have to say I'm a little daunted at the prospect of soldering the Xilinx but unless I try...