• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V power

Jan of course you were right on my circuit. I added a .1uf cap from the op amp output to ground and this solved it. On another question, I have a 12v lithium battery I use to power a lot of projects and think I understand that that is too high for the Silentswitcher. Can I do a simple resistor voltage divider on the battery and just run the SS from 6-9v. Any worry at low currents about the divider destabilizing? Sorry for my ignorance. I am in my 70’s trying to refresh knowledge from 60 years ago.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You could be lucky. Remove D5 (shown in the attached). It's a safety zener across the input.
Then see what it does. Chances are that the unit itself is OK.

Attachments

• d5.PNG
    d5.PNG
    26.4 KB · Views: 147
Jan mentioned elsewhere that a higher-output SilentSwitcher is in the horizon. The design has been ready for some time but unfortunately due to the global component shortage and price increases the manufacturing of these boards is not currently feasible.

There is also a new improved "SilentSwitcher". It has LT3045/LT3094 regulators for lower noise at +/-15V and a new low voltage converter (5V5/5V/3V3 output) which allows up to 15V input voltage. So even freshly charge 12V batteries can be used as power source. However the output current is about the same as in the original SilentSwitcher (200mA at +/-15V). The output connectors have been doubled for added flexibility. The default low voltage output is now 5.5V so it can directly be used as input for local LDOs such as LP5907. The board has the same mounting pattern as the original SilentSwitcher so it can be used in Jan's Autoranger.
USSRv5.jpg

Noise of the +/-15V outputs is about as low as LT30xx datasheets predict. Here is the +15V noise with 100R||100uF load.

USSRv5_+15V_100R+100uF_192k.png

Whether or not ultra-low noise power supply is needed depends on the application. Applications dealing with low-level signals such as phono preamps or LNAs will surely benefit from low noise supply.

There is a currently a limited quantity available of these boards primarily for Jan's Autoranger kits.

Martti

Reactions: 1 users
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would like to add that this new version is at least as good as the originals and in some areas like output noise, definitely lower noise.
Martti has put a lot of effort in this upgrade with excellent results, bringing this to a higher performance level. And the 15V input range opens up more uses.
Definitely recommended!

Jan

Hello all,
I just found the silent switcher 'by accident' on youtube,
and found the concept very interesting.

The first question that came into my mind "is this an open source design" (maybe on the linearaudio.nl-USB-Stick-collection) ?
(cause I'm highly interested to built my own).

Then I saw that is was in the shop on diyaudiostore.com (but sold out),
(so probably no open source, but commercial ... ;) )

Now I found this thread here,
reading that there is a newer (improved) version on the horizon,
and I am highly interested to test one of these with my audio circuits,
but again I don't know where to buy or if I can built my own ... (?)

I have not. I do not have any information on the complete DAC, only for the ES9023 used. There is a +5 V connection but the current need is unclear. Is it correct that the Silent Switcher can supply up to 500 mA on its 5 V tap? I have attached a schematic found on the Internet.

The transformer of the PSU is rated at 3.2 W (7.5 VAC).

Attachments

• toaz.info-subbu-dac-se-v3-schematics-pr_e84e79b263ba8a8f00bf81fa974b4ce2.pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited: