Should You Change Crossover Capacitors – The Great Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jazz Man, I looked at the thread you referred to and it didn’t contain anything new that would change my mind.

And I’m not here to answer obscure questions from you or anyone else. Not going to play that game with you.

By now you should know my position on this subject, and I am pretty sure I know yours. If you have something new that is different or relevant that can add to the conversation, then by all means say it and I’ll consider whether to respond or not.

I think you misunderstand what I wrote.

It's not a matter of whether I can answer his question or not, I didn't even try. I essentially ignored it.

If you want to express an opinion about something that's fine. Maybe I'll respond, maybe not. But as I said before I'm not here to play the question/answer game with you.

Last edited:
what caps do....that's for you classicalfan

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2021-09-22 23-37-20.png
    Screenshot at 2021-09-22 23-37-20.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot at 2021-09-22 23-36-01.png
    Screenshot at 2021-09-22 23-36-01.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Screenshot at 2021-09-22 23-35-04.png
    Screenshot at 2021-09-22 23-35-04.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
The way I see it there is overwhelming subjective evidence that capacitors of different materials/brands when interchanged of the same value present audible differences, too many to ignore especially when one falls under the umbrella of one who can hear a difference….. I even presented a whole article of objective findings with measurements but apparently your too busy up on the high horse to even read it…….which is all this thread really amounts to.

It’ll probably be locked down soon enough.

The way I see it there is overwhelming subjective evidence that capacitors of different materials/brands when interchanged of the same value present audible differences, too many to ignore especially when one falls under the umbrella of one who can hear a difference….. I even presented a whole article of objective findings with measurements but apparently your too busy up on the high horse to even read it…….which is all this thread really amounts to.

As I told you before that is a very long detailed article in small print, and no, I'm not willing to invest a lot of my time reading it in order to help you make your point.

I asked you to make reference to specific parts of it that are relevant to this discussion, but you haven't done that. So if you aren't interested enough to invest your time, why would expect me to invest mine.

And this is the way most of these threads go. Non-moving skeptics stand on their box and won't waste their time enough to even hear the opposing side out. They want proof, and yet can't prove their argument. We are willing to show our thoughts and results, and since they apparently don't matter enough to them, they just disregard and ignore our findings.

I have been civil and not condescending, and yet the opposing side keeps trying to explain what is already understood like we are oblivious.

I don't understand why this ALWAYS goes this way. At least we're adults and have not stooped to name calling and insults this time.

Just keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.
Wolf

This thread has pretty well run its course. Things are getting very repetitive as might be expected. Maybe it will be shut down soon by a moderator. I don’t know

The overall problem is how do you separate confirmation bias from real performance results.

Reading through most of the posts here you get the impression that no one thinks they are influenced by confirmation bias. And yet any honest assessment will say that is not realistic.

So how do we know which of these claims about improved sound is true and which are nothing more than confirmation bias? And the answer is we don’t know.

The only way to find out is to do controlled unbiased testing. Yet there is very little if any support for that here. Instead just about everyone seems to be content with the things being posted.

Unfortunately without some type of independent testing there is currently no way here to separate fact from fiction.

As I told you before that is a very long detailed article in small print, and no, I'm not willing to invest a lot of my time reading it in order to help you make your point.

I asked you to make reference to specific parts of it that are relevant to this discussion, but you haven't done that. So if you aren't interested enough to invest your time, why would expect me to invest mine.

Maybe because you started this debate. Or was it just a monologue...

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I can hear a clear doyfference between Jantzen Silver Z and Jantzen Alumen. Alumen being the better choice for tweeters. Silver Z just felt nervous and all over the place.

Your experience reminds me of something I experienced years ago.
I had a question about something on a capacitor's data sheet and contacted the manufacturer.
Lucky enough to get put through to a design engineer who was not only willing to indulge me in conversation but who was also personally curious about the increased talk regarding capacitor and sound quality coming from the audio community. (Sound Practices, Elektor , Glass Audio etc.)
The conversation turned to sheet resistance, and eventually he offered to send me a set of capacitors of the same construction and value for C, with the only variance being in sheet resistance of the plate material.
Each different cap did make a clear impression, but what really surprised me was the the one with the lowest resistance sheet R value. The one that I assumed would be the best, actually drove me nuts. It was a weird , convoluted , 'phasey' sound that I just couldn't stand. The reaction was immediate and visceral.

It takes a lot of time, expense and effort though, but first you have to answer the question Jakob2 posed, and there is no likelihood of him even doing that.

I’m not interested in what some guy named Jakob2 said in entirely different thread three years ago. If you have something to say here and now then say it.

But don’t expect me to go traipsing down a bunch of obscure paths to help you make your point. It doesn’t work that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.