Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread

Hi Tibi,

What is the value of Vishay MKP 1837 did you use, 100nf ?

Regards,
Rudy

Yep, 100nF.
Here is how is mounted.
It can be mounted even closer, with shorter leads, but you need to add more glue to get him rigid with optical block.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• 20140528_005.jpg
    20140528_005.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 20140528_006.jpg
    20140528_006.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 1,005
  • 20140528_007.jpg
    20140528_007.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 965
  • 20140528_008.jpg
    20140528_008.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 928
  • 20140528_009.jpg
    20140528_009.jpg
    670.1 KB · Views: 1,688
Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe not the right place to ask this, but will there be a final writing/guide after all is done with experimenting on the components?

I'd be interested in building this transport but I am not skilled enough to work with a oscilloscope and instruments like that. I just like soldering and building something nice like this.

Maybe not the right place to ask this, but will there be a final writing/guide after all is done with experimenting on the components?

I'd be interested in building this transport but I am not skilled enough to work with a oscilloscope and instruments like that. I just like soldering and building something nice like this.

Weust,

You can endless experiment with parts for Shiga and you always end with parts which are fitting your taste and your pocket.

Shiga MKII high-grade construction was described by me and Danzup in this thread. Shiga MKII standard construction is same but with less expensive parts.
Both versions will sound fantastic. Standard version will perform far better than JVC RC-EZ31. And when I say far better, I mean the difference is really, really huge.

To start from scratch you need to grab a mini-kit, buy parts listed in BOM from one of the four distributors we have listed and start soldering. Follow indications and pictures posted by me on this thread and on Shiga MKII webpage.
You have everything, starting from part datasheets till enclosure Corel Draw drawings.
Beside this, I'm here to answer your questions and offer support.
So what you are waiting for !? :D

Regards,
Tibi

Weust,

You can endless experiment with parts for Shiga and you always end with parts which are fitting your taste and your pocket.

Shiga MKII high-grade construction was described by me and Danzup in this thread. Shiga MKII standard construction is same but with less expensive parts.
Both versions will sound fantastic. Standard version will perform far better than JVC RC-EZ31. And when I say far better, I mean the difference is really, really huge.

To start from scratch you need to grab a mini-kit, buy parts listed in BOM from one of the four distributors we have listed and start soldering. Follow indications and pictures posted by me on this thread and on Shiga MKII webpage.
You have everything, starting from part datasheets till enclosure Corel Draw drawings.
Beside this, I'm here to answer your questions and offer support.
So what you are waiting for !? :D

Regards,
Tibi

Knew I forgot something. I did mean the high grade version, not so much the standard version.
And I thought of it too. Getting the standard kit, and buy other brands and stuff too. Of course it's personal to what for me would sound best, but was more hoping for a sort of overall best parts list in the end. Even if it is personal.
Or a list of components that can be exchanged that make a (big) difference.

Most special brand/type capacitors just aren't exactly cheap, so that way it could save a lot of money of components I will likely never use again.

Btw: CorelDraw? Last time I used that was in the late nineties on a Windows 98SE computer :)
Is there even just a viewer for it. (Haven't checked yet, just wondering here)

Oh, one other thing, regardless of whether it is even needed, just for looks/hobby value wise, is it possible to put e power supply in an external case without too much hassle?

Weust,

High grade version is presented, in greater detail, right here in this very thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...mkii-black-builders-thread-5.html#post3929209

Each part was selected by me to make a real improvement over standard Shiga MKII.

Corel Draw is a modern drawing application running on Win7 and Win8 and used for CNC along Autocad.
A pdf file is also available on my site http://vicol-audio.ro/img/shiga/VicolAudio_Shiga CD_all.pdf
Hope you at least have Adobe Reader. :D

You can put power supply on an external case. As you can see from pictures, Shiga MKII was designed modular and power supply is a separate board.

Regards,
Tibi

Alright, I'll have another read in this topic again. Just hope it doesn't turn out to be 800+ like the other topic in the end ;)

With Windows 8 I don't need Adobe Reader anymore :)

I did notice it being modular. Really like that. Had a buttons on top, display on the front type of case in my head. Fantasizing away here...
Edit: and I see now you do too. Excellent!

Alright, I'll have another read in this topic again. Just hope it doesn't turn out to be 800+ like the other topic in the end ;)

With Windows 8 I don't need Adobe Reader anymore :)

I did notice it being modular. Really like that. Had a buttons on top, display on the front type of case in my head. Fantasizing away here...
Edit: and I see now you do too. Excellent!

Point taken ! I'll make a blog or a manual to resume what is important.

Thanks & regards,
Tibi

It is a matter of taste.
In my system 100nF Vishay give more equilibrium, everything is there, while 1nF silver-mica give more focus and soundstage.

Regards,
Tibi

I totally agree with that description. I still prefer the smaller CD silver-mica though. I cant get enough focus :)

Oh and from a fast test, the russians seem at least as good on C11. And they will only get better with time... If only I could try one on the laser too...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I have listened to the Vicol Shiga Black MK2 with my existing Shigaclone which I use as compare otherwise it will be very difficult to experience the differences.

This laser modification at the Vicol MK2 gives indeed more depth in the sound and the differences with the Shigaclone are now very small.
The one time I find the Shigaclone better and other times the Vicol Shiga MK2.

Hopefully today the package inside with the MUNDORF EVO – Silver/Gold + Oil and hope to go a step forward again.
I hope the Vicol Shiga MK2 passes better quality then my existing Shigaclone.
If that happened then I connected the Trichord Clock 4 with power supply from my Shigaclone and connected to the Vicol MK2.

If that is done I'm going to see what the possibilities are with the parts that I still have lying around. (power supplies/Blackgate's)

With a few minor modifications which I now did become these Vicol Black Shiga MK2 again an affordable CD transport.

Regards,
Rudy