"Shadow of The Colossus" build thread

Faital HF108 measures quite nicely in Yuichi, quite close to tad 4001. I used Eminence 1" --> 1,4" adapter PLUS the 77mm long 1,4" --> 2" adapters which I had. I have already ordered one piece 1" --> 2" adapter of 75-77mm lenght, it might be good compromize between the exit angle of the hf108 driver versus the angle that the horns wants/is designed for ie. TAD's lower angle. We'll see if the measurements get even better, or not.:eek:

I bought the regular version of hf108 due to it's lower fs and thinner membrane (better lf and more details, but more aggressive than the R-version?). Dunno if i made subjectively the right choice, has anyone compared them?

Subjectively very nice drivers these Faital Ketones. I was sceptical towards polydomes based on my ex beyma cp380 in xt1086, but that was unjustified at least with this little bugger.

I need to tune the xo and burn-in these bitches:) Can I get one serving of velvet butter with crystalline cymbals, pls?

VEMdGMj.jpg

Impedance vs. tad:
2xK6T6E.jpg

Raw response 0deg vs. tad:
mjCfw3A.jpg

Quick 'n dirty polars from too close (50cm):
g7Sihi6.jpg

Harmonics at 100dB/1m raw:
KqDPfNS.jpg

Above harmonics in percentage view for the lost souls:
TvbfUHP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm driving them full range raw to get some movement on the dome, very pleasant and non-resonant driver to work with in this horn (same applies when i listened them without horn, very good). There is much clarity and resolution at hf, no sibilance or energy storage/releassssshhee. I hope the midband weight and effortlessness does not take a massive beating from the hf1440 but some I'm willing to compromize naturally, Sd is Sd. Large format drivers are dynamic beasts, smaller might also be easier on the ear when blasting the hell out of colossus, as it might give up sooner (compress slightly) than the bass array. Just might:D

Take a listen with good headphones: HF108 in Yuichi horns - YouTube

BTW, have you considered the HF10AK?
Which should work even better with a deep horn and lower crossover, due to the conical exit section.

Here's a comparison between the HF10AK and the TAD TD2001 behind a RCF H3709, a smaller bi-radial horn, similar to the Arai horns.

774797d1565700859-cover-spectrum-spl-low-distortion-2-a-tad-et-faital-sur-rcf-h3709-png

Luckily hf108 is very budget friendly driver also as new. Do you have them now Ro808?

It's definitely one of the best drivers I have ever owned (maybe even the best to my liking as a whole, but I still need to live with it longer to get to know it better). At this moment I would not use any other driver (heared/known to me) in it's place. How is this possible.:)

The HF10AK has lumpier response, the 2k dip seems to be there in every horn? It's also an older model, the suspension doesn't have those holes and in the impedance there is stronger 2-peak behaviour, which HF108 negates with shallower air gap and phasing plug and results in only ~one peak (like direct radiator). I suspect this is partly the reason why hf108 sounds so non-compression driver and smooth allround from mids to hf? But is the hf10ak still better than HF108? Who knows them both inside out?

Last edited:
Id say hf1440 and hf108 are quite close. If both are tried in optimal horn, they will be very close. In my setup the hf1440 is slightly too dark sounding (not sensitive enough at hf for colossus woofers, if the are not attenuated) but the hf quality is good (as good or close). And the mids are not just quite as smooth even when toned-down, but close. But its not apples to apples, both are very good imo.

Its really not apples to apples comparison ever in passive setups, you just have take the raw sound of the driver and driver/horn combo, which decides the basic level from where you start working with it. There is the character of sound, then there is the subjective quality of sound, and then there is the balance/fr (these are also quite cross-linked). Hearing system is quite forgiving to (and able to accustom to) slight anomalies in balance but not the other two if one has a good reference, like high quality headphones or maybe some electrostatic speaker, amt driver or even a decent silk dome (and everything in the signal chain before the speaker is able to differentiate it). Hf108 has the edge over hf1440 in natural balance in Yuichi being closer to Tad, it could be the biggest deciding factor here. On the other hand Tad does not have the character of either Faitals, so they are not substitutes. Subjective quality is very high in all three.

Last edited:
Luckily hf108 is very budget friendly driver also as new. Do you have them now Ro808?

The HF108s are still at the top of my list, but I also wanted to give a (properly damped) Titanium diaphragm a shot.
Was interested in the 18Sound drivers and almost bought NSD1095s, but several reviews/measurements where discouraging enough to look further.
While good, the 18Sound drivers seem a bit over-hyped and given the price, the performance isn't spectacular.

There's an older, less known driver that has a lot in common with the 18Sound 1" drivers. I believe some engineers that later moved to 18Sound were involved in its development.
It's got all the bells and whistles of modern high end drivers, including a 3-slot phase plug, copper demodulating ring and a powerful magnet structure (BL: 8.10 Tm). This driver was also used in a 2 way PA monitor loudspeaker with a low crossover point (1200 Hz).
So I've bought a pair.

Attachments

• nd1711mt3-driver-1.jpg
    nd1711mt3-driver-1.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 686
  • RCF M110 Diaphragm for ND1710-MT3 Driver_1.jpg
    RCF M110 Diaphragm for ND1710-MT3 Driver_1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
For fun, I also scored some vintage RCF drivers from the 80s. 1" Phenolic drivers (19.000 Gauss magnet) - which were among the few better sounding drivers in PA systems of yesteryear, + H3709 horns, as well as 4 x 15" woofers with uncoated, ultralight paper diaphragms, sensitivity: 102dB, efficiency (η₀): 6.06%.

Last edited:
Very impressive!
The harpsichord sounds natural, with bite (when the keys are played softly) and the proper metallic resonance, like it should.

It's clear why you appreciate the HF108 so much and whereas it's quite difficult to compare this one to the videos of the HF1440 (with different music), I think I prefer the HF108.
It not only seems to sound clearer, more transparent, but also slightly fuller. If I didn't know, I wouldn't realize this is a small driver.
What is the current XO?

Last edited:
well said Legis. I like the new video as well. the HF108 is an impressive driver. They seem to perform well with the Yuichi's.

Id say hf1440 and hf108 are quite close. If both are tried in optimal horn, they will be very close. In my setup the hf1440 is slightly too dark sounding (not sensitive enough at hf for colossus woofers, if the are not attenuated) but the hf quality is good (as good or close). And the mids are not just quite as smooth even when toned-down, but close. But its not apples to apples, both are very good imo.

Its really not apples to apples comparison ever in passive setups, you just have take the raw sound of the driver and driver/horn combo, which decides the basic level from where you start working with it. There is the character of sound, then there is the subjective quality of sound, and then there is the balance/fr (these are also quite cross-linked). Hearing system is quite forgiving to (and able to accustom to) slight anomalies in balance but not the other two if one has a good reference, like high quality headphones or maybe some electrostatic speaker, amt driver or even a decent silk dome (and everything in the signal chain before the speaker is able to differentiate it). Hf108 has the edge over hf1440 in natural balance in Yuichi being closer to Tad, it could be the biggest deciding factor here. On the other hand Tad does not have the character of either Faitals, so they are not substitutes. Subjective quality is very high in all three.

The HF10AK has lumpier response, the 2k dip seems to be there in every horn? It's also an older model, the suspension doesn't have those holes and in the impedance there is stronger 2-peak behaviour, which HF108 negates with shallower air gap and phasing plug and results in only ~one peak (like direct radiator). I suspect this is partly the reason why hf108 sounds so non-compression driver and smooth allround from mids to hf? But is the hf10ak still better than HF108? Who knows them both inside out?

Theoretically, the HF10AK's 21° conical exit should better match the throat of your Yuichi horns, compared to the HF108's 31°.

Member Audio Elite has experience with both, but uses the HF10AK.

In this thread both drivers are discussed.

Perhaps, the HF108's advanced internals outweigh the (potential/hypothetical/theoretical)drawbacks of the throat angle mismatch.

Last edited:
Very impressive!
The harpsichord sounds natural, with bite (when the keys are played softly) and the proper metallic resonance, like it should.

It's clear why you appreciate the HF108 so much and whereas it's quite difficult to compare this one to the videos of the HF1440 (with different music), I think I prefer the HF108.
It not only seems to sound clearer, more transparent, but also slightly fuller. If I didn't know, I wouldn't realize this is a small driver.
What is the current XO?

The xo is 600-700hz in current proto, I dont have right size inductor for it yet. Final xo somewhere between 800-900hz, so quite low for 1". I have blasted away some metal and compressed pop with current xo, the comp driver handles it very well in the Yuichi, which is quite surprising.:D