"Shadow of The Colossus" build thread

I use the HF146 (without R) and it does very well IMO-- also at its upper end. But I must also say that my hearing starts to drop between 12 and 14 kHz. The diaphragm of these drivers isn't that large at all. It is around 2.5" which is a good compromise for a driver that can be crossed quite low at domestic listening levels and used in a two-way system.

Regards

Charles

As do the Faital's. Fair enough, though I'd like to be able to do a sound quality comparison.

Stupid thing I did once was to misconnect a DSP .. switched the HI/LO on a 2-way on one channel. Faital 15" and a AMT. Wasn't till I was listening to a particular track that I caught it .. after an hour or so. That's how smooth the 15" is at half the price. What does the extra $250.00 get a guy?

It is difficult to say without having one to compare. I guess you used a 15pr400, right ?One advantage of the new 18s is its dual-gap motor. It was developed with the intention of being used over a large bandwidth. It has very low inductance, symmetric drive and also a demodulation ring.

Regards

Charles

phase_accurate ... yes, the 15PR400. I got a pair, new, for $400 a few years ago. I'm happy with them. They're in a 185l sealed box. I did model the 18Sound a couple days ago and it'll work in a med size BR enclosure, nice low frequency extension, looks like.

ErnieM .. for home HIFI I wonder just at what SPL this will be a factor. I'll sometimes listen at 100db (3 meters) and that's plenty for the wife downstairs :) I've tested the Faital at this level and THD isn't an issue. I can see the advantage in a PRO audio setting but I doubt they'd ever get to "shine" around here. I'd love to be able to hear them in a 2-way app. though.

Charles,

nice to know I am not the only one thinking of a 2-way implementation.

Regards,
Anton

That is a combo that I was eyeballing as well and which I think could be very cool. But I was also wondering which horn to prefer.

Regards

Charles

I've thought of the XT1464,it's getting positive feedback from diyers.

Thanks.

I would go LTH142 or XT1464, yes, response is mystery, but atleast they are cheap non metallic horns.

Ernie,

My mind was almost made up on the Faital 15PR400 then I saw you posted a link of the 15NTLW3500 in one of the threads...you're a bad man Ernie and also you, Legis :D

More bass without sacrificing midrange clarity is the advantage.

Hi puppet,

How low does the 15PR400 go in the 185L sealed box?

Thanks.

phase_accurate ... yes, the 15PR400. I got a pair, new, for $400 a few years ago. I'm happy with them. They're in a 185l sealed box. I did model the 18Sound a couple days ago and it'll work in a med size BR enclosure, nice low frequency extension, looks like.

ErnieM .. for home HIFI I wonder just at what SPL this will be a factor. I'll sometimes listen at 100db (3 meters) and that's plenty for the wife downstairs :) I've tested the Faital at this level and THD isn't an issue. I can see the advantage in a PRO audio setting but I doubt they'd ever get to "shine" around here. I'd love to be able to hear them in a 2-way app. though.