Seas A26 Devore Style Build

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Earlier someone asked about the SupraVox 215 Signture. It really needs something close to an infinite baffle. To do this style enclosure i would suggest 150 litres.

dave

I've never played with the a26re4.

I am jelly (jealous) as I would like to hear that kit one day.....................

I played with the b102 because I noticed that b102 / cat378 were similar db levels and 6db down at 2khz, and the morel is -6db@2khz and -12db @ 1khz with its 5.6uf.......

Time aligned ?
Not quite, but sounds really good, and even better with the tweet slid back 2" or so..................

The b102 is rugged, and i had it in a mistuned box (1.4ft3 tuned to 40hz) on the floor, too low for a center channel.
Should be 2.3ft3 tuned to Fs / F3 = 50hz.

The a26re has a qts of .4, so if you want a 170L box ported, it can be F3/Fsb/tune at 25hz, but that is a very, big, box, very.
You can put it in a box 1/2 as big and still tune to 25hz, should be fine.
I'm happy with tuning 30hz and lower (on a sub anyway).

Remember, the morel is 6db down 30 degrees off axis at 10khz.
That means you can cover a couch at 7' away, similar to a 3" full range driver, while a normal dome sends highs everywhere.

Would I play with b102 again ?

I'm not sure, I have 4 tweets and 1 woof now.

I had been trying for 6db 6.5" for mtm setup (d'apollito), but need flat impedence.
Ideally run something with the cat378
The peerless 6.5" is one I have been tempted for, and the scanspeak reissue of the p17 vifa drivers..............

And I've tried to communicate with rival acoustics to buy the schematic for mtm using cat378 and dayton rs180p drivers, but owner is out of the country, and no communication............................

I'm lazy.........................

and antsy to play with something....................

now I am looking at Emotiva b1+ or t0+ with its tweeter (carver anyone ? )
the tweet does better than the chane one, and people seem to like the sound.......................

1640236017814.png
Emotiva Audio Corporation

emotiva.com
Founded: 2005
Subsidiary: Bob Carver, LLC
Parent organization: Jade Design, Inc.

maybe that is where all the tweeters went.....................

b1+
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...a-airmotiv-b1-review-bookshelf-speaker.22366/

or

t0+

Last edited:
The document i created has alternate tweeter XOs i found, i think one of them is the Morel. Don’t have time right now to chase that thot.

dave
Thank you so much i do see that now. My 3/4" birch arrived today and I plan on building this over the next few weeks. wondering if you had any photos of previous builds, either using the cat 378, or not. the arrangement of the braces is a bit confusing to me. also is there a way to donate so I can contribute for your open source plans?

I'm listening to the T35C now and... it's a killer tweeter that digs very low. The problem is they are over $200 each and one could also argue that the cat378 might have slightly better time alignment. Tradeoffs...

I'm having some stands made now for my A26 that will tilt back a few degrees for better time alignment and maybe I'll eventually go active with linear phase and time aligned crossovers.

i brought up idea of tilting kit, but it got way more complicated than i thought, running single cap tweet and wide open woof.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/time-align-the-seas-a26-kit.297264/
I'm not as obsessed with 6db time/phase alignment as i used to be thanks to this.............
granted, youtube audio and unknown mix near/farfield, and no way I can listen to a pair of 4" 2-ways 15' away.

I think this guy compares speakers using similar music.
to me, time aligned 6db stuff makes for better clicks and percussive stuff.

But good sound is still good sound, regardless of what is more accurate

I do know, the morel was better sounding 2" back sitting on the deep b102.
a26 also being 4" deep, you'd need more than tilt for centers to be close........

you may need a seperate enclosure.

but, let your ears be the judge.

better is better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this kind of A/B testing. I'm listening on ER4Ps and I think I was distracted by how much more bass the expensive speakers produce to really focus on other sounds aspects so I dropped in a 200 Hz HPF to listen further. The low cost speakers definitely sound a lot brighter to me. I wonder if I could hear the difference over 200 Hz as easily if they had been EQ'd to sound similar.