Seas A26 Devore Style Build

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Yesterday I swapped crossovers in my Seas A26 from the Håvard series crossover back to the standard parallel 3.3uF/10R crossover. To my ear, the standard parallel crossover has a set back, muted midrange relative to the Håvard series crossover, but also more treble detail. The set back sound leads me to wonder whether there are phasing issues at the crossover point in the standard parallel crossover, that mutes the midrange. The treble detail in the standard parallel crossover however leads me to wonder if the tweeter would benefit from a blocking capacitor in the Håvard series crossover.

I did all this because I originally wanted to add an ohm or two in series with the tweeter in the Håvard series crossover, to pad it down. Now I sense there may be greater issues at hand with the tweeter's shunt coil not shunting all of the LF around the tweeter.

HNY, btw.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2020
Paid Member
I thought about this a little more & decided that crossing the midwoofer a little lower in the Håvard filter was worth a try. This might be confirmation bias, but my perception is that doing so reduces the midrange shout (most obvious in records- they sound less 'recordy') & keeps the drivers from stepping on each other as much in the midrange- vocals and vocal echoes seem cleaner now. Anyway I had some Solen 6.8uF caps laying around so it was easy to swap out the Solen 5.6uF in my Håvard filter.

I do much, much prefer the forward, full sound of the series Håvard filter to the stock parallel crossover, separate of any tweaks to crossover pole.

IMG_9622.jpg
IMG_9623.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users