Screws in Cabinets: Yay or Nay?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Assembling a cabinet now and I've noticed that one of the glued bracing panels has a hairline gap along part of its length where it doesn't quite fit flush with the cabinet wall.

There seems to be a general reluctance to use any screws in speaker cabinets and to go for a "glue-only" approach when it comes to cabinet construction.

Would it be okay to put a drywall screw in the bracing panel so it contacts the cabinet wall and thus reduces a possible source of vibration at the hairline gap?

Also, to eliminate any possibility of the screw eventually becoming loose, should glue be injected in to the screw hole before the screw is screwed in good and tight?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I would use construction adhesive instead of carpenter's glue on that particular joint. Put a fairly thick bead on. It will easily fill the gap and will remain very slightly pliable indefinitely, which will provide the desired damping and resist cracking/rattling.

Last edited:
It's not always possible to get deadly tight fit on bracing panels - less and .5mm or so gap isn't enough to get exercised about. As has been suggested, use a good construction adhesive (PL400) and screws - but not drywall screws - they're notorious for breaking.

I'd suggest Robertson brand (square drive) or equivalent Lo-Root wood screws with nibs. Be sure to drill appropriate size pilot holes or risk splitting material on edge grain - not a good thing.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Nor would I but I would use it for air sealing not for bonding. Rubbery isn't necessarily good if you are trying the raise the resonant frequency of the panel. Construction adhesive or sub floor glue is good.

DUG get second prize because he is resourceful and frugal.

I think the (very firm) rubberiness (sp?) would help to eliminate resonant frequency (rather than raise it). It would work like a shock absorber of sorts, as it is pliable but moves incredibly slowly. Not anything like silicone, which is "bouncy". That would be a bad choice, as it doesn't adhere to wood very well, either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.