SBacoustics + slit cone (poor man's revelator)?

Not only cones, but also quality surrounds and various domes come from the Dr. Kurt Müller factory. Their Krefeld based factory was quite substantial, but they lost a lot business to the Chinese. Müller also used to have an English outfit for supplying the various British driver manufacturers of the past.

I have been slicing some more cones..
I was going through and measuring some old drivers I have, and measured some cheap paper cone tweeters taken from some scrapped speakers. Horrible ringing at multiple frequencies in the highs, so in the bin they went. But then I thought, why not try to slice the cones..

So, four slices later, and some soft glue, they were a lot better! They dropped off a little bit earlier in the top end, but the ringing was a lot better. I could even hear the difference on the pink noise when measuring them. It sounded nasty on the std driver, and a lot smoother on the slit cone. Distortion was pretty ok too. However a resonance peak around 1k make them too complicated to use with passive XO's.

I have a pair of woofers from the same speakers that are also cheap and nasty, I have slit the cone on one of those too to compare. I wish I had the complete boxes, so I could just try slits in the cones and compare the complete speaker. I bet it would be a quick and cheap fix to some nasty paper cone speakers.
I'm kind of hooked on this, need more drivers to cut! :D

I have been slicing some more cones..
I was going through and measuring some old drivers I have, and measured some cheap paper cone tweeters taken from some scrapped speakers. Horrible ringing at multiple frequencies in the highs, so in the bin they went. But then I thought, why not try to slice the cones..

So, four slices later, and some soft glue, they were a lot better! They dropped off a little bit earlier in the top end, but the ringing was a lot better. I could even hear the difference on the pink noise when measuring them. It sounded nasty on the std driver, and a lot smoother on the slit cone. Distortion was pretty ok too. However a resonance peak around 1k make them too complicated to use with passive XO's.

I have a pair of woofers from the same speakers that are also cheap and nasty, I have slit the cone on one of those too to compare. I wish I had the complete boxes, so I could just try slits in the cones and compare the complete speaker. I bet it would be a quick and cheap fix to some nasty paper cone speakers.
I'm kind of hooked on this, need more drivers to cut! :D
I have a feeling in one of your last life, you might have been Jack the ripper...

Oon

Yeah, I tried several different surround treatments. The sound quality suffered along with about -1 db spl and reduced Qms.

This seems contrary to Troels findings/opinion. However he has not measured TSP or distortion after his mods. I suspect suspension linearity would suffer and with that also distortion at low frequencies. Qms is almost given to decrease with more damping.