Same outputs shorting each time

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this isn't the right place to discuss this. Mine is shorting the +42 VDC supply that feeds the high voltage transformer. Checked everything on the primary side. Isolated the secondary side. thought it might be the transformer. Replaced the transformer still has same problem. I guess I'll order the TL081 chip that controls the oscillation of the circuit. I won't comment anymore on this here. Thanks for the reply.

Just now getting back into this amp. Been battling equipment problems both test and shop AC. On a class D amp, this one, can the output filter choke and cap circuit be disconnected from the outputs without damaging the outputs? Just to see if it's causing the outputs to short.

Unless the FETs are failing immediately as the amp is powered up, you can look at the signal where the two inductors meet. It should be 1/2 of the rail-rail signal on the drains of the low-side FETs. While monitoring the signal, twist on both inductor to see if there is any significant change in the signal at the point where the inductors connect.

All FETs clamped when doing this.

Okay, I must be dealing with a driver board problem. I have all the outputs out of the amp. On the positive rail voltage side I have a rail voltage of +89 volts on the source. +6 volts on the gate. On the negative side I have a rail voltage -89Volts on the source but -50 volts on the gate.

Sorry, just got tour response. "Do the FETs get hot that quickly when clamped tightly?" Yes

"Are all of the output heating but only 2 (the same 2) constantly failing?" No, could be any of them. Originally repaired the amp. Tested. Customer brought it back with same two outputs shorted.

"Have you desoldered the diodes at the outputs and carefully checked them as well as the resistors?" No because any output can short now.

This is what I'm getting on the gates of the high and low sides. No outputs installed.

Attachments

• 20160604_165323[1].jpg
    20160604_165323[1].jpg
    356 KB · Views: 60
  • 20160604_165234[1].jpg
    20160604_165234[1].jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 53
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.