Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Components I used... (Vout:5v/100mA CCS with load 40mA) Used for power supply DAC DSC2 each channel:

Rs....................................15 ohm/1W
Cs....................................100nF/100v MKT
D1-D4...........................MUR220
Rf....................................0,47 ohm/5W coiled power
R1....................................5,6 ohm/ 1W
C1....................................5600uF/16v Nichicon KG
C2....................................220uF/50V Nichicon UES
C3....................................47uF/50V Nichicon UES
J1-J3...............................J113 Idss 10mA
Q2,Q3............................BC559CTA
Led..................................W2773G
VR1.................................No used
Vrr...................................10 ohm/ 1/4w
M1..................................IRF9510
M2..................................IRF510

No Cx, I do not consider it so necessary. I made measurements on the fly, putting various values on Cx and also on C1 and some other component, I didn't see any better results. I will also put an emi/rfi filter with differential choke before the primary of the transformer just in case.

Two green LEDs + 10 ohm= 5,1v (perfect for my). Vr 10ohm is just symbolic. I could have put a jumper or 0 ohm. The voltage reference of the green led W2773 is 1.9 to 2.2mA. The sum 1.9+1.9+0.6+0.6=5v.

The previous PSU as a traditional power supply with crc and 5v ldo regulator (L4940V5).

I haven't tested sound with ubib 1.3 yet. I'm sure it will go much better. The noise of the previous one PSU was much louder.

Also, what attracted me most about ubib 1.3 is that it corrects the noise of the load. With dac dsc2 especially there is considerable noise on the +5v rail caused by the operation of your schematic itself. My previous traditional PSU had more noise than ubib 1.3 (without load), but even more noise when the dac function was activated and conected. Although everything sounded very good, I wanted to improve, and Salas ubib 1.3 was the best candidate to try.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I haven't tested sound with ubib 1.3 yet. I'm sure it will go much better. The noise of the previous one PSU was much louder.

Also, what attracted me most about ubib 1.3 is that it corrects the noise of the load. With dac dsc2 especially there is considerable noise on the +5v rail caused by the operation of your schematic itself. My previous traditional PSU had more noise than ubib 1.3 (without load), but even more noise when the dac function was activated and conected. Although everything sounded very good, I wanted to improve, and Salas ubib 1.3 was the best candidate to try.
You mean there is noise on the dsc2's rail when not powered that goes down when powered by ubib but it goes up when powered by L4940V5?

I was just saying that the +5v rail of dsc2 produces noise when it is working. And that with my previous PSU could not be corrected. Besides that my previous source also had more noise by itself.

And yes, i am hopeful that with ubib 1.3 the dac +5v rail noise will be decreased. I haven't tried it yet...

What I am absolutely certain of right now is that ubib 1.3 is much better than my previous PSU.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Do you measure noise with short gnd on probe? Important.

nose.jpg

Ok I'll take it into account. I like it, very good idea, I will try it some day.

I am sure that the actual noise of ubib 1.3 is even lower than what I have measured with my oscilloscope probes.

In any case, with the measurements and tests that I have carried out on this ubib 1.3, they have far exceeded my expectations, I am very satisfied.