Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Joined 2009
Paid Member
With IRF610 the SQ is a lot less better than with Reflektor-D or BiB, powering Chronus 5V re-clocker, it's interesting the sound signature between Reflektor-D (more air, transparent and better highs) vs BiB (more mids & bass) depending your taste you can chose your poison.

Changed the IRF610 for IRF530, now is sounding wonderful so is the keeper powering the Chronus re-clocker, about SQ have the strong bass with transparency, mids are perfect and better than BiB & Reflektor-D, the highs it's near near the Reflektor-D, it's the most musical of the 3 regulators.

I'm very happy with it, congrats Salas.

Will be possible your new design be a phono LCR preamp, or it's to ask too much?

Cheers
Felipe

I have attached an image of my setup.

Vout= +/-15V
CC= 118mA (Measured)
R1=5.0 Ohm
Vrr=10 K
M1= FQP3P20/ FQP3N30
R load=620 Ohm
I load=24mA

XFMR Primary 120VAC Current= 73ma RMS

I am trying to determine the correct value for the transformer primary fuses. The primary current at maximum load is 73mA RMS. The peak I observed during power up was approximately 90mA. I did try a 100mA fast blow fuse and it blew upon initial power up. What would be a good value to choose for my primary fuses? Fast blow?

I am also experiencing a bit of drift of Vout=+/-.02V after allowing the circuit to stabilize for over an hour. Also the adjustment of Vrr seems very touchy and a bit delayed.

The heat sinks and devices are running nice and cool. 85 Degree F maximum. I did use M1= FQP3P20/ FQP3N30 in my circuit. Would using IRF9610/IRF610 help with the output drifting?

Attachments

• DSC_4783.jpg
    DSC_4783.jpg
    989.3 KB · Views: 371
I am having an issue and am wondering if anyone has some ideas on what to look for. I built an UltraBiB to power a B1 Nutube. When I fire up the UBiB without a load, it is stable and has proper voltage. As soon as I apply the load, the LEDs go out and Q2 travels to the afterlife. The B1 has no issues when driven with small switching supplies, and according to my bench supply only draws about 80 milliamps.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alan

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Try a diode (1A or higher rated) between M1's drain pin (2) and C1's + pin side. Cathode towards C1. In an attempt to examine if its about a reverse polarity startup discharge that can be made to skip the shunt circuit and be diverted towards C1 jumping over the CCS barrier.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@tmas

Fusing a transformer's primary is more about staying above what magnetic build it momentarily creates plus the filter capacitor's charge up surge and less about the static DC mA of the circuit.

Bit of drift and the way VRR behaves are absolutely normal in this circuit. Thermals play a role for drifts and every change on VRR has C2 to come up following it. So it lags your hand's movement in trimming.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Alan

Good luck, keep us posted. So we will see what happens. Shunt has path to ground and there are time delays in that RC train so we got to find what's reacting or what's not timing right together with the reg. Or even make changes to B1N's smoothing train itself. Which is not strictly necessary to exist when powering with UBiB.

Good luck, keep us posted. So we will see what happens. Shunt has path to ground and there are time delays in that RC train so we got to find what's reacting or what's not timing right together with the reg. Or even make changes to B1N's smoothing train itself. Which is not strictly necessary to exist when powering with UBiB.

i am about to add the diode, but regarding timing, I should mention that I powered up the UBiB, then switched on the B1 Nutube. Do you think it would make any difference if I had the B1 switch in the on position before powering up the UBiB, so all caps are charging at once?

Maybe. A bleeder resistor across the B1N power input would ensure its banks are always empty when started.

I put in the diode. It worked. There is a momentary dimming of the LEDs while the B1 caps are charging, and Q2 stays alive. I tried powering up the B1 after the UBiB, and at the same time. No problems either way. I didn't try powering up both at the same time without the diode, because I don't have a large supply of BC560Cs.

Thanks,
Alan