Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

I have just tried it on an Avel Lindberg 15VA #Y236001 torroid.

With Cx=.01uF Cs=.047uF Rs=9 ohms I get the trace on my scope shown on the attached photo.

Attachments

• DSC_0358.jpg
    DSC_0358.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 348
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I apologize if this has already been covered or is common knowledge, but is it generally a bad idea to put additional reservoir capacitance after the UltraBIB? I'm currently using my U-BIB in a bipolar config to power my BA3 preamp. Initially, I used a couple of big 10KuF caps in between the reg and pre – as a way to split the power to both channels and with the naive assumption that more capacitance is always better :D. I'm wondering if its necessary, or even detrimental?

Its better to have the reg inside the preamp's box thus using relatively short and thick rail output cables and put no extra capacitors. They dominate and slow down the reg although it did not protest.

My layout will necessitate 9-12 inch cable pairs to carry my +/-15V from my regs to the op-amp circuit board I am powering.

I have 20 or 22 AWG stranded wire on available to use. I did plan on twisting the pairs.

I am running CC=120mA .The AD744 op-amp I am supplying spec. is Quiescent current Max.=5.0mA. Short Circuit Current Typical=25ma.

Are the wire lengths and gauge appropriate for my application?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Twisting is good for less inductance since length adds. Also keep them near metal surfaces wherever possible. Thickness for that long cables better be 12 AWG to keep resistance lower. The system should play relatively cleaner the shorter the cables distance between shunt and load down to 10cm or so. Because of less inductance and resistance being added at the shunts output impedance. When must be remote try to keep those factors moderate with some gauge hyperbole in the umbilical cables.