Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Finally a picture of my DCG3 at work ...

dcg3-sm.jpg

dcg3-situ-small.jpg

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
By the way here's a better close up picture of the balanced one at my friend's. On rack now. I went there to listen bit more after his return and given the opportunity we adjusted the ZYX cart's VTA a little better too.

Attachments

• IMG_20191002_232503.jpg
    IMG_20191002_232503.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 324
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would expect this one to come across somewhat better because it has direct interface compatibility advantage to his XLR sources and his XLR input power amp over a tentative similar build quality SE version.

It also has a theoretical advantage, although it uses as much PSU as a typical SE DCG3 build due to lack of room in a single chassis, it sees that PSU as common mode respectively to the opposing signal phases. So it should be even more indifferent to its power supply.

Beautiful all in one PreAmp & Streamer build. Congratulations!

How do you like it as now finalized and working in the system?

After extended listening I'd say, for the cost of the build, it's superb. The highlight for me is the soundstage. Instruments are accurately placed and with good definition in the space.
I'd say against the pre in my Perreaux there are 2 items which don't quite make the grade and I think they are related. Resolution and a top end graininess - both of which I suspect are a result of the Alps Blue pot I'm using.

I've read good things about the Acoustic Dimension 42 step attenuator's but they are only available in 10k or 100k - I'm guessing neither of these is really suitable?

Other options are TKD 2CP-2500 standard pot as it's available as 25k or a Khozmo 48 step attenuator available in 20k shunt or 25k series.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
10k series pot value could promote edginess in this preamp as its bandwidth opens even wider with it.

Are impressions the same from different source components, or by the streamer alone? How many playing hours did it clock on the sound system by now? Alps Blue is no Khozmo indeed but the PSU capacitors better see few working hours firstly nonetheless.

For shunt vs series attn also read an old diyA thread: Shunt Attenuator Myth

After extended listening I'd say, for the cost of the build, it's superb. The highlight for me is the soundstage. Instruments are accurately placed and with good definition in the space.
I'd say against the pre in my Perreaux there are 2 items which don't quite make the grade and I think they are related. Resolution and a top end graininess - both of which I suspect are a result of the Alps Blue pot I'm using.

I've read good things about the Acoustic Dimension 42 step attenuator's but they are only available in 10k or 100k - I'm guessing neither of these is really suitable?

Other options are TKD 2CP-2500 standard pot as it's available as 25k or a Khozmo 48 step attenuator available in 20k shunt or 25k series.

It's component dependent, since the drawback of shunt type is the variable input resistance, if you have a low output impedance source, that wouldn't matter much. Ladder is theoretically best but it's double the cost.
The other thing to have in mind is that 25K type is not available in every type of these mechanically switched attenuators so you might as well make a compromise

Then there are relay-based, LDR-base, Chip-based solutions out there. But to my experience none make a night and day difference and DCG3 is still enjoyable with all of them.
More important is the power supply. Just my 2 cents

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There's yet another catch with shunt attennuators for DCG3 though. Their output impedance never goes below their single series resistor. So its always more than a series attenuator of same nominal value. Since AttnZo shapes this preamp's bandwidth more than in other cases there will be different bandwidth vs series and that must be taken into account.

From that old thread I linked a page before:

The bottom line is that the shunt attenuator has absolutely no technical advantage over a series/shunt type attenuator. And in fact it has a distinct disadvantage in the form of output impedance compared to a series/shunt attenuator.

The worst case output impedance of a series/shunt attenuator is 1/4 the end to end resistance of the attenuator. So if you compare a shunt attenuator with a 10k series resistor to a series/shunt attenuator with an end to end resistance of 10k, the worst case output impedance of the shunt attenuator will be 10k ohms, and for the series/shunt attenuator, only 2.5k ohms.

se

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
To put it in other words, a 10k readily available shunt attenuator shapes this preamp's bandwidth and rise time the same way as a 40k series attenuator would.

P.S.
The ladder type equivalent to a 20k series for AttnZo is 10k nominal. It also loads with nearly steady input impedance the source equipment.