RST28F and DC130A Foamcore Homage to LS3/5A

I have not measured polars yet but I do think part of the reason why vocals sound good is that the entire “radio band” up to 5kHz (where vocals are important) is captured by a single driver. Sort of like a single full range augmented by a tweeter. Having vocals from a single source provides a coherent sound that is more natural.

Going for support on both ends on my build inspired by your waw. Rs225 for low mid, tc9 wideband, and an amt mini-8 as a super(ish)tweeter

Any particular reasons you used the dc130 instead of an rs125 or rs150?

Maybe this is the inverse of FAST/WAW? Super Tweeter Assisted Fullrange Technology (STAFT). :)

STAFT sounds better than TAW, which is almost as bad as WAW.

Not to be confused with Staph (as in stapholococcus infection).

But then maybe 5k5 is not quite super tweeter terrirtory yet so name is really

TAFT, which, is actually a real name of a former US president. :)

A logical extension of the homage speaker along the STAFT direction would be to use a larger fullrange driver or two (such as Fostex FE208Sigma), slap on a back-loaded horn to get more bass, and use an expensive horn-loaded super-tweeter (such as Fostex T90A). So perhaps the Fostex people did know how to make good sound. :)

Fostex T90A.jpg

They just could not come up with a catchy acronym. ;)

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
@hifijim: use a fresh utility knife blade so that it is sharp, a metal straight edge like a meter stick ruler, and use multiple strokes (10 or more) keeping blade perpendicular. Don’t cut deep but progressively deeper with each stroke. If you have a table saw that might work but I don’t know how clean that is. I forgot how Vunce said he cut his XPS panels for the big TL’s:
805933d1577900011-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-0f1fd72d-bae3-4c40-b138-140693978a06-jpeg

These TLs sounded so good he hasn’t had enough motivation to make them out of wood yet, even though he has nicely cut baffles ready to go:
877022d1600521643-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-f815fbb1-321d-4614-9604-f19539bf9f2b-jpeg

@Suicufnoc: the RS150 has some nasty cone breakups. The RS150P Is smoother and could probably work, however, both won’t have as low of a bass extension for a small sealed box, and they don’t have the smaller classic looking pincushion bezel. I have the RS180P and recall that driver has an off third order distortion when used in a sealed cabinet. The DC130A, is less expensive but surprisingly, cleaner sounding.

@Kchang: the Fostex approach is exactly that I guess. I claim first dibs to the acronym though. :)
Although I can’t say I have checked to see if it’s been used by others.

Last edited:
I agree with that part. A lot of people tend to lean towards full range because they want the coherence. But I find coherence is only really necessary in the radio band.

Oon
Another thing I noticed is that natural instruments tend to be split around that frequency. Most instruments don't cross the 5-7K region. Either you are an instrument that makes sound below 5K, piano, human voice, saxophone etc or those above, cymbals, triangles hi hat etc. So not many stuff is going to experience this crossover between 2 drivers if you cross at that frequency...

Oon

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Totally agree with the 5k to 7k being a “natural” crossover point that makes it easy to delineate sounds. This is why full range drivers can sound so good. It may be the reason this speaker sounds so natural. But the crossover does a good job of integration with phase tracking that produces a nice semi-transient perfect step response.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Xrk - - How do you cut panels from XPS foam sheet? Do you use a band saw, a tables saw, or perhaps a straight edge plus utility knife ?

I may start using XPS foam sheet to make prototypes and mock-ups...

I used a table saw to cut most of the panels for my FAST TL’s. You can get consistent, square cuts this way, especially for the internal baffle pieces.
A 1” snap off blade utility knife works great for hand cutting with a drywall T-square. Extend the blade and hold at a low angle for clean cuts.

25mm Extra HD Utility Knife with Anti-Slip Grip (H-1) | OLFA - ProfessionalOLFA – Professional

@Kchang: the Fostex approach is exactly that I guess. I claim first dibs to the acronym though. :)
Although I can’t say I have checked to see if it’s been used by others.

@X, @KChang,

You guys probably know it, those BLH cabs can be big, heavy, and a pain to build! :) It will lose out to a traditional high quality woofer in bass reproduction as the Xmax is much less (BLH will help, but a good mid-bass will still win).

However it's a recipe for a high efficiency system that will have plenty of "jump factor", and work nicely even with low power SETs. And probably will have some very nice mid-range too - so a viable alternative for someone who is going down that path.

Quite a few folks have done such BLH builds with super-tweeter. Also Some BIBs with super tweeters have been done.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
More progress, cutting the old white oak into uniform 5/8in square strips. Gluing the inlays in. Gluing the mitered strips with a framing clamp (with V staple applied already).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I went out for a walk last night. Did you all see the cool full moon with Jupiter next to it. Here’s a zoomed in photo from my phone.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 51640C0B-870B-48D9-AC70-906D2EAC4947.jpg
    51640C0B-870B-48D9-AC70-906D2EAC4947.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 995
  • AD82EBE5-139C-4930-A4D1-5063D4D886D1.jpeg
    AD82EBE5-139C-4930-A4D1-5063D4D886D1.jpeg
    814.7 KB · Views: 1,358
  • F58C2D23-59AD-4338-B351-48740AAFA8F0.jpeg
    F58C2D23-59AD-4338-B351-48740AAFA8F0.jpeg
    903.6 KB · Views: 958
  • 532675A5-194C-4C7B-8BC0-F21241B994E3.jpeg
    532675A5-194C-4C7B-8BC0-F21241B994E3.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 968
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Signal Lost. Haha I thought it was Mars and did a google search. I guess you can’t always believe the first thing that a search pops up. There were two other planets also really visible. I know one was Venus but not sure about the other.

Great that you are building this! Looking forward to hearing about your progress. :cheers:

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks, Vunce. These are coming along well. The baffle cutouts should be done later this week and the new “Rockville” speakers will be born.

Rockville, Maryland is the location where the old barn wood was found. Also the name of a historic Civil War battle. The heritage of the oak battens providing the background and stability for the main panels and the inlay in the back makes for a nice backdrop to this special speaker.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Was able to mount the drivers and crossovers for a listening session last night. Very nice design X. The driver integration seemed spot on and the phantom center stage was very enjoyable. I will get some pictures together.

still need to sand the cabinets, install the damping and drill the baffles for the mounting screws. Mounting screws are to arrive Tuesday.

Taking suggestions on finishes for the cabinets.

Again Well done X