Rohde Schwarz R&S UPL Audio Analyzer Renovation

Assuming that the analogue spec for the UPL-B1 is the same as the UPV-B1 (which it is, to my knowledge - despite claims to the contrary), then the loop-back 2VRMS @ 1KHz 20-20K THD+N for the UPV-B1 is -113dBV. My SYS-2722 gets -115dB under the same conditions. If I feed the 2722 oscillator into the UPV inputs, I get the same -115dBV THD+N.

Considering that there are oscillators around such as Viktor's, it makes a non-B1 UPV or UPL a really powerful instrument for relatively little outlay.
I made some tricky test to disclose the AP's DSP THD+N analyzer notch and BW limits. It looks a bit strange to me because 20k BW limit seems Butterworth 64ord(maybe FIR) but 22Hz BW limit is Butterworth 4ord. The notch itself isn't simple ignoring out of H1+/-40%(like REW does for instance) but rather a close copy of AP analog analyzer notch. Could you please perform the same test at R&S to see how they handle BW and notching H1?
2022-07-01_14-13-05.jpg

Hello, I was thinking that your system might be not installed properly but if it is not the case then in theory there should be no issue related to the activation of the B23 as long as you have the key to enable this software option.
Can you write the error message you are getting?

thanks for your answer, if I have the option activated, the message that comes out is the one in the photo
I have replicated the same problem on my side. I also think we need the supplement software for this option. Or I'm using it all wrong.
When looking in the manuals I also find a reference to software for B23. If anyone has this supplement software or knows contacts at R&S, feel free to share.
Cheers, Bart

Attachments

• 2022-07-03 20_08_35-Mail.png
    2022-07-03 20_08_35-Mail.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 88
If I already saw in the manual that it says that you have to install some disks but it does not explain it very well, if you go to disk 1 you will see that there is an exe called compress.exe in the tools folder, according to the manual that program is to convert sound files to be able to use them in the opt b23, my question is, if this file could be the necessary files for this option b23

I confirm as well on my side that I have the same problem. Maybe if someone has B23 installed and working on his UPL he can also make a clone of his HDD and share it. It may help to see differences and potentially add the right missing files.
On my side this is what I did by checking the backup of the HDD I did when I bought it (since it has been reinstalled from that time) but in the end I was not able to suppress this error even by bringing back some missing files not installed with a fresh installation.

Reactions: 1 user
I confirm as well on my side that I have the same problem. Maybe if someone has B23 installed and working on his UPL he can also make a clone of his HDD and share it. It may help to see differences and potentially add the right missing files.
On my side this is what I did by checking the backup of the HDD I did when I bought it (since it has been reinstalled from that time) but in the end I was not able to suppress this error even by bringing back some missing files not installed with a fresh installation.
So you mean you had it originally on your HDD when you bought the analyzer? Could you share your files? Maybe i can tinker with it...

No I don't believe it was installed, I just enabled the B23 option on the last one I purchased with B2 but in the end found out the same issue as you both see when using the coded audio function.
Since I reinstalled all this UPL after fixing it (as I purchased it broken), I compared the new install and the old backup of the disk I made before formatting it and saw that there was quite a few differences. I tried to do some merges in the files with file comparison software but it did not help.
So indeed there is an installation disk for B23. I just requested to my local R&S agent in Taiwan but I am not sure if I will be able to get it as I understood that the B23 installation disk is also enabling the B23 option, which means quite certainly that they will refuse to give it to me if still available and I don't pay for the option. Let's see, anyway I asked already...

1657261387655.png

On the other hand, I purchased few others at very low price as broken (all fixed now, pretty easy to fix those machines with the great schematics & material you provided, I will list later on what I did to help others that maybe tempted to buy broken ones too) and I realized checking at other HDD backup that there was some copy made by previous users of some installations disk + the folder structure show some options that were very likely enabled (GSM, 3G, hearing, ...). I will check if I can find anything interesting in those drives and of course no problem to share the content if it is useful for you. Maybe I can list each UPL installed options with each HDD backup to try to figure out what was installed in the UPL application.

No I don't believe it was installed, I just enabled the B23 option on the last one I purchased with B2 but in the end found out the same issue as you both see when using the coded audio function.
Since I reinstalled all this UPL after fixing it (as I purchased it broken), I compared the new install and the old backup of the disk I made before formatting it and saw that there was quite a few differences. I tried to do some merges in the files with file comparison software but it did not help.
So indeed there is an installation disk for B23. I just requested to my local R&S agent in Taiwan but I am not sure if I will be able to get it as I understood that the B23 installation disk is also enabling the B23 option, which means quite certainly that they will refuse to give it to me if still available and I don't pay for the option. Let's see, anyway I asked already...

View attachment 1070337

On the other hand, I purchased few others at very low price as broken (all fixed now, pretty easy to fix those machines with the great schematics & material you provided, I will list later on what I did to help others that maybe tempted to buy broken ones too) and I realized checking at other HDD backup that there was some copy made by previous users of some installations disk + the folder structure show some options that were very likely enabled (GSM, 3G, hearing, ...). I will check if I can find anything interesting in those drives and of course no problem to share the content if it is useful for you. Maybe I can list each UPL installed options with each HDD backup to try to figure out what was installed in the UPL application.
Thanks for the support. I would be happy to help restore the original intall disks (they are not that complicated and mostly Batch file). if you could pull images off those HDD's, that would be extremely helpfull.