Robin Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
being rich doesnt qualify you as more likely to suicide....

hell...over here our National PK SUBBAN just signed a 72 000 000 dollars contract with our hockey club( wich by the way is more popular than politics in the news) and cant be 15 seconds without talking to someone around him....

Of course it's been like that for ages, but now the sense of it carries around the world with an intensity that's never been experienced before; even a family living in a shanty town, in a "third word" country, has a TV, can see how the "rich and famous" live - the lopsideness of it is apparent to all.

Robin is famous because he was immensely talented, and his "wealth" is a side effect of that - but the latter hasn't helped him in his moments of despair; how much, in subtle ways, did it actually worsen the situation for him - because it increased the "gap" between him, and "normal" people ...

To put it in less words.... society is sick, because it focusses on the wrong values.

I combat my demons by occasionally getting absolutely drunk, not just merry but paralytic, so I can have a nights sleep without thinking, shut my brain down for a while. It is not the healthiest option but works for me, its like a reset of what's inside my head...
Music is also a big soothing influence...
One thing I hope comes out of this tragedy is that the Western world looks at whet we are doing to our youths, not just the increasing suicides but increased killing of each other, having such a low regard for life.

Marce ,

You need a strong outlet my friend , take up cycling , nothing like a hard 30-50 mile ride to relieve tension , you will be too exhausted afterwards to do anything but rest , of course music works in between too...

Its going to take time , one never gets over such devastation , but you will learn to compartmentalize it and move on , the little ones need you too...

I've taken up photography again, looking at the beauty in the world (and walking to various places) is hopefully going to be my panacea:)
My biggest fear is if any of my other lads (2 left, 4 daughters as well but they are all harder emotionally than the lads!!!!!) face some tragedy in their life such as the end of a relationship they will think the same way as their older brother.
At least I know I am alive:) I never get time to forget it, and as long as we never forget then our son will always live on in our hearts, the same for anyone who as lost someone close, think about them everyday but in a positive way.

So if I understand you correctly, you have lost your son, because of suicide.
As me.
But I have left only one daughter.
So you are lucky.
I know this is a silly statement.
It isn't matter, how many children you have, if you lost any of them.
I would like to express my feelings, but I have a very crappy english, and these feelings is hard to express even in mother tongue.
Kind regards,
Gyuri

@Gyuri : I am also sorry for your tragic loss.

Being a parent too, I could not imagine anything hellish than losing a kid by suicide.

Try to focus on the good things in life, for they can give you a counterweight to carry the burden of you losses. It never goes away, only your view on the events may change.

Thank you guys,
At least, I don't have problems with alcohol.
If we doesn't count that fact, that there is never ever enough from it for me. :)
Seriously, alcohol and drugs can't be a solution for anything.
These are only worsen the existing problems.
For drugs I have consuming only media news. :D

the "gap" between him, and "normal" people

If you had bothered to read some of Mr Williams statements, you'd have the feeling that his success may have kept him alive over the decades.

Some three decades and change ago, my g/f's brother married a woman with a bipolar disorder, who already considered ending her life at age 21.
A year ago, after 30 years of alcoholism, hubby openly decided he'd drink himself to death at age 59, took him three months.
The guy was an actuary, he also threw out several million bucks in retirement benefits and remaining annual paychecks of a 1/4+ million dollars.
He enjoyed horses, fishing, bird watching, and DIY. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Trouble with medication, it takes away the lows, but also removes the highs.
Chances of the bipolar widow hanging in to the next calendar decade do not look favorable.

Last edited:
They say it's much better now, than it was in the Dark Ages, or even the nineteenth century.
I say, yes for sure, in some parts of our world.
But I also have to say, this all could be much, much better.
And I look around the world, I feel as I have losing my last life-force.
But I'm only whining, look what these sulfur miners must to do for surviving for example:
Ijen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So before anyone would contemplate suicide, we must look at the lives of these people, which is none other than the suicide of a slow and very unpleasant form.
But all of them doing it for a living.
Of course all of the things are relative.
Anyway, interesting if you look at a statistic developed parts of the world the prevalence of suicide.
Look at Japan, for example.
I'm going for a bottle of beer.

You need a strong outlet my friend , take up cycling , nothing like a hard 30-50 mile ride to relieve tension , you will be too exhausted afterwards to do anything but rest , of course music works in between too.....

RW *was* a cyclist - but probably not at the level required to get you stoned out of your mind. It does work on keeping depression in check, but staying at the level required to do so is at least a second full time job. Not to mention something else you can sink $5k a year into.

Music in between? Sort of. It plays in my head constantly - and is amplified by the ride intensity. No need for ear buds. Driving to and from the group rides - there's the 1200 watt system in the truck tha makes the headights dim. Sometimes necessary for staying awake on the return trip.

If you had bothered to read some of Mr Williams statements, you'd have the feeling that his success may have kept him alive over the decades.

Some three decades and change ago, my g/f's brother married a woman with a bipolar disorder, who already considered ending her life at age 21.
A year ago, after 30 years of alcoholism, hubby openly decided he'd drink himself to death at age 59, took him three months.
The guy was an actuary, he also threw out several million bucks in retirement benefits and remaining annual paychecks of a 1/4+ million dollars.
He enjoyed horses, fishing, bird watching, and DIY. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Trouble with medication, it takes away the lows, but also removes the highs.
Chances of the bipolar widow hanging in to the next calendar decade do not look favorable.

Now we know why they live longer .....

RW *was* a cyclist - but probably not at the level required to get you stoned out of your mind. It does work on keeping depression in check, but staying at the level required to do so is at least a second full time job. Not to mention something else you can sink $5k a year into.

Music in between? Sort of. It plays in my head constantly - and is amplified by the ride intensity. No need for ear buds. Driving to and from the group rides - there's the 1200 watt system in the truck tha makes the headights dim. Sometimes necessary for staying awake on the return trip.

The cycling is how he managed to make it this far and he was sinking far more than that with over a 100 bikes at last count ....

I gave the Eulogy at a friends funeral after he decided not to continue living.

I've lost other friends to the same deamon.

My first wife suffers from depression and schizophrenia.

My estranged second wife suffers from depression, PTSD, and is probably bipolar. Last night she told me she was going to pull allof her money out of the bank because she was afraid someone was trying to steal her identity and would take it. I've been talking to her a lot lately and she seems to be getting worse but will not go to her counseler.

A good friend at work appears to me to be suffering from depression. I am trying to talk to her, but it has been difficult.

I sometimes wonder if I'm not the cause. Which makes me depressed, although not to the extent to be diagnosed as suffering from depression. More of a situational depression.

I sometimes wonder if I'm not the cause. Which makes me depressed, although not to the extent to be diagnosed as suffering from depression. More of a situational depression.
Don't blame yourself.. mental problems are more common than a lot of us think.

I myself know of at least 4 people in my environment who actually ended their lives. A lot more that tempted to do so or planned to, not mentioning the number of people with mental problems still alive.

Why? I think we gradually have forgotten what it means to be human. We neglect and suppress it at our workplace and afterwards at home, 'cause we have to act professional, we have to go on no matter what comes our way, or any other crappy reason and get no time to come to terms with it. Does that make people ill? Definitely!

Status
Not open for further replies.