Robin Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
The angst of the 21st century stems from the fact that our previous and very real demons (famine, pestilence, infant mortality of ~50%, personal risk of violent death, etc.) have been largely conquered in the 1st and 2nd worlds, leaving us long and relatively risk-free lives if we avoid self-destructive behaviors. Our minds have evolved to survive these real past dangers with a natural paranoid bent toward identifying danger and trouble and avoiding or attacking it. This magical pattern seeking machine in our heads (which now spawns many thousand post debates over cable quality) has plenty of free time to find troubles whether they are there or not and we have pretty well restrained the selective pressures that used to violently eliminate conditions and behaviors that are non-adaptive from the gene pool. Oh what a world...what a world as the wicked witch of the West would lament.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Its sad he committed suicide because of Parkinsons disease.

If, in fact, that was his motivation that would make it even sadder. But we don't know. I suspect side-effects from medication. We'll have to wait until reports of that come out.

"And as the one guy at the suicide hotline said, life isn't for everybody."
Robin Williams - 2006

However, what people really need is faith and the faith is a lifesaver.
If I had not trusted my parents the food they gave me to eat was healthy,
I would not have survived. That is faith.

Faith is a universal medicine. Placebo works.

i think that the fact you accepted the food is for genetic and situational reasons.

genetic because infants have that conditioned behavior (from generation to generation) that you should accept food from people who have cuddled you and spent time close to you, and that from the very begenning of your existence. when you eat your first meal of your life, you are not believing anything, you just open your mouth and that s it.

situational because you actually think that the best thing to do if you want to satisfy your basics needs, the most logical and safe way, is to thrust blindly your parents that what you are given is not poison. You could have looked elsewhere, but why bother?

so nothing to do with inventions such as ''god'', that you can be brainwashed with, and forced to fear, in some circumstances.

also, if you look closely at mankind history, god can be multiples and not filled with love.

beware, i m not saying believing in something is bad, or that religion has not been actually helpful in some situation, and that the bible is a pile of crap, but the idea that a bearded man is in the sky watching, is a bit creepy.

please moderators, ackoledge that i m not making a judgement value of religion. this will be my last post...most likely ;)

Permanent solution for a temporary problem.

i agree with you.

that problem being pain... which is created by being incapable of solving other problems that causes that pain.

yes accumulation can be fatal then as you said.

the first step to solve these problem is to identify them. Silence is your worst ennemi and bear in mind that others haved passed trough those and that there is light at the end of the tunnel (not a train light...sorry couldnt resist). Many people think they are alone in this and showing the problems is an act of cowardice. Not at all...you may actually have a mental disorder, for wich medication can actually make your life better, despite the side effects. It is important as a relatives to support those peoples

i would suggest anyone with symptoms of depression to talk about it or read books about it or consult a psychatrist or psychologist.

So do I... but remember that even professionals can't help everybody... :(
If the patient's environment won't help, most treatment will fail.

agree.

often people that are supposed to help also have their own problems.

and common saying is that you have to cure your own problems before everyone else's.

that is why there is that spiral perverse effect in todays societies.

mental problems are one of the rising problems mankind has to face, along with global warming amonst others....

for me, the fact that at the personnal level, we are not equipped to face our own unhappiness is disturbing and show that the model on which some of our society is based has to be rectified.

since it is a recent problem, data is not yet showing and you may have to just endure and try to understand the situation . that is why i call in general for citizen responsibilty,clairvoyance and awareness( not sure it is a word) in general....we often tend to say ''not my job''. also, living well with all the basic needs fulfilled is more easy than ever before...

ignorance to understand what we are gives birth to mental illness with gives birth to lack of effort which leads ignorance again...

anyway....not proven is my theory but.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.