RMI-FC100, a single stage audio power amplifier

I'm back to good ol' transistor matching frenzy. I found a stash of NJL0302/0281 pairs with quite some mismatch in Hfe. NPNs are in the range of 80-90, PNPs are between 110-130. I thought DMM method is throwing me off, so I built the rig for measuring with LM317 current source into collector with Ice=100mA and Vce 19V, but got the similar result as with DMM on few tested NPNs. Is my stash useless?

Progress so far.

IMG_3269.jpg

I do not know the KEMET capacitors (I myself am using NICHICON on this position), but KEMET capacitors have a good reputation!

Keep in mind though: the capacitors you are looking for are part of the FC-100 backend PSU. Any "good" brand (Nichicon, Panasonic, Vishay, Epcos, …) will do the job.

I wish you good luck with your FC-100 - Rudi

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi zdr,
If you can find the "plate resistors", they are non-inductive. They also make non-inductive wire wound resistors. These are always prefered over the standard wire wound types. Something like the TE Connectivity SQMW series parts. They are radial resistors, so there is very little exposed metal lead. I forget if they fit this PCB or not, but I always try to use these types. The plate resistors are available on Ebay last time I looked. One of the very few times I will recommend shopping on Eeekbay.

The normal inductive resistors can make some designs oscillate, but even if those don't, the non-inductive type will buy you some extra phase margin. That's always good.

-Chris

Hi zdr,
If you can find the "plate resistors", they are non-inductive. They also make non-inductive wire wound resistors. These are always prefered over the standard wire wound types. Something like the TE Connectivity SQMW series parts. They are radial resistors, so there is very little exposed metal lead. I forget if they fit this PCB or not, but I always try to use these types. The plate resistors are available on Ebay last time I looked. One of the very few times I will recommend shopping on Eeekbay.

The normal inductive resistors can make some designs oscillate, but even if those don't, the non-inductive type will buy you some extra phase margin. That's always good.

-Chris

Actually, even though the title says "wirewound", they are actually metal strip up to 5W - see the data sheet.

LVR05 LVR-5 5 0.005 to 0.3 1, 3, 5, 10 Metal strip

I have these already in the drawer, that is why I ask.

Hi zdr,

-Chris
Margins were given sufficient derating to not oscillate , with " caveman" resistors. I would guess with non inductive types , miller caps could be reduced , unity gain could be pushed higher. But , specs are already superior
to overpriced Pass / Curl B$. get as "Anal" as you want.

PS - we even oriented ( the one layer inductor to be opposed to the nearby traces) and suggested 2 layer cancelling OP inductors , so ... "junkbox" components will still make for a superior amp.
I notice , the commercial sector on this forum is both condescending and slightly hostile towards me. Expected. ---- $$$$
Edit - I am true blue DIYA , they troll the forum for $$ , Jason might not like that opinion.

Slewmaster was "breaking point" "redneck teck " triggering ... - CONTACT US – Virtual Zero Audio Store is so far ahead of esoteric (Pass/curl/self ??) designs . They with $$ , produce relative
junk. Welcome to the new order.

OS

Last edited:
Hi,

After a nice experience with the Quasi ( Very simple quasi complimentary MOSFET amplifier ), I am planning to try this other semiconductors amplifier before to return to my vacuum tube habitudes :)

I have already Thermal Track transistors, but I cannot find the 2SA1360 and the 2SC3423 from Toshiba, I have seen that a Chinese company Inchange Semiconductor Company( Inchange Semiconductor Company(ISC) ) is producing them, they are not fake, but I don't know if the specifications are exactly the same and I would prefer the original ones :D

Did you have a suggestion where to find genuine parts ? I already contacted joshvi ( VAS transistors for sale 2SA1360Y/2SC3423Y,2SA1209S/2SC2911S and KSA1381E/KSC3503E ) but didn't get an answer yet... In case there is no availability is it possible to replace them with other parts ?

The problem is the same for the 2SK170B but I understand that it is possible to use LSK170B from Linear Systems however it is not available from large distributor like Mouser or Digikey ?

Thanks and rgds,
Marc