RJM Audio Emerald Phono Stage Help Desk

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Also, I noticed supply measures as +/- 12.5V - is that normal?

Not if that's measured at the V++ V-- pads, no. It should be 16-19 V.

The internal rails, V+ and V- are about that much, typically.

The "disconnect one channel, hum goes away" issue is one that I've encountered from time to time. It's rare but when it does happen it's difficult to solve. I would say its related to the grounding connections elsewhere in the audio chain interacting with the grounding layout of the Emerald.

If you don't figure it out on your own feel free to email me and I'll give you what help I can. Posting photos of your build may also be helpful.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Since the Emerald is quiet when the inputs are disconnected, chances are very high it's working fine and connected properly.

The noise happens because of some nonstandard way the electrical connections in the turntable/tonearm are made that I haven't allowed for in my design. It's such a rare occurrence I haven't been able to study and diagnose the exact problem.

Q. Does the hum occur if you leave the signal inputs disconnected but connect the TT ground wire to the Emerald chassis?

One possible "crutch" solution would be to disconnect the signal return from one channel. Not a good idea, but if it works...

I own and use both valve and solid state phono stages but nothing with ICs. I did try a Michell phono stage for a while but frankly it was bloody awful so it had to go. Having read a lot about your phono stages Richard I'm intrigued and tempted to build one. Are the Emerald kits still available and has the price changed since 2016?

IMG-20191203-WA0039.jpeg

Just waiting for some parts.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
R4 in bom is 1k
But in schematic is 1k5

So I have 1k for that.. Any problem?

Schematic shows configuration "A" of the BOM Worksheet, 82.5 ohms for R3 and 1k5 for R4. BOM was changed afterwards to the default "B" configuration of 68.1 ohms and 1k.

Hence above the schematic the disclaimer "Component values shown may differ from the BOM value to be used."

/R

Completed.
Mm gain slightly lower than usual. All as bom. Using bd 139 and bd 140.100uf Nhg Panasonic. Sme 1000uf caps. Kemet x7r

Polystyrene and mkc. Very happy with the results.

More laid back than monk, slightly more romantic, more 3d and detailed slightly less attack and muscle. Very Airy.. And tuby more tuby than tube. Easy to listen to kind of phono.

Completed at my friend's home small Christmas gathering. Everyone likes it very much! And very surprised. All are very experienced phono listeners . Very easy to complete. I followed as closely as I could to the instructions. Buy more resistors for riaa and matched it as close as possible.

Thanks for making this keeper Richard. Have a blessed Christmas

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Merry Christmas. Thank you so much for your feedback.

The Emerald will need a few days to break in. Though the first impression is usually positive the sound will go through some strange growing pains early in life. Essentially it will tighten up suddenly, losing depth, before filling out again gradually over the space of a couple of weeks. It's best to leave powered up over that time.

/R

One quick question as I have also mailed Richard.

I have got the dual mono Emerald phonostage boards. Now can I power this using Salas Ultra bib 1.3 shunt regulated PSU boards? Looking at the manual it seems that the PSU is in-built as it has diodes and the schematic layout shows bridge rectifiers as well.
If has in-built and if I go with pure dual mono what should be the VA and secondary AC voltage of each of the transformer?

Thanks