• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

RH84 SE, pentode driver... advice please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One more PSUD question, at least for tonight, every time I run the simulation it says "The rectifier IFRM (current forward repetitive maximum) of .53A has been exceeded with a value of .81A at time .2" Is this something to be worried about? It doesn't say that with a 5u4g in the rectifier slot, but it does with the 5v4g.

Yes you have to pay attention to that. It means you will get flashovers and rectifier death.

You are going to have to use the 5U4g.

If you really want to use the 5V4g then you will need to add a 100R resistor before the C1. PSU2 may not allow this directly, but you should be able to achieve it by going to the transformer specification (right click I think), and increasing the secondary resistance by 100R.

Shoog

Last edited:
How do I figure out the resistance for the transformer itself? I'm planning on using an Edcor PT and don't see a spec listed for resistance. I don't have the transformer yet so I can't measure, what's a good approximation?

Also, what are the appropriate time parameters to use in PSUD2? "Simulate for ______ms after a delay of _______s." I'm liking this program, but it has a pretty steep learning curve!

Last edited:
One more PSUD question, at least for tonight, every time I run the simulation it says "The rectifier IFRM (current forward repetitive maximum) of .53A has been exceeded with a value of .81A at time .2" Is this something to be worried about? It doesn't say that with a 5u4g in the rectifier slot, but it does with the 5v4g.

Go to the options and check the "soft start" option. It will roughly simulate a slow warm up. You may find that this ramp the repetitive forward current so that it doesn't exceed the spec.

Sheldon

How do I figure out the resistance for the transformer itself? I'm planning on using an Edcor PT and don't see a spec listed for resistance. I don't have the transformer yet so I can't measure, what's a good approximation?

Transformers are often rated at around 5% regulation at the specified current rating. So in the transformer dialog box, select the RMS V button. Enter Edcor's voltage and current rating. This assumes that the ratings are for your actual mains voltage. If not you can adjust the output voltage by the percentage difference.

what are the appropriate time parameters to use in PSUD2? "Simulate for ______ms after a delay of _______s." I'm liking this program, but it has a pretty steep learning curve!

Play with these and you will see what you need, it will become obvious. The learning curve is steep but quiet short.

Sheldon

Are the values you show for the transformer, the actual measured values?

I'm actually not sure how to figure out the impedance for the PT; I haven't ordered it yet and it doesn't show up on the manufacturers spec sheet (planning on using an Edcor PT). Is there anyway to figure that out? Rough guess?

Thanks for helping a new guy.

Edit: Sorry, I missed that you answered that in your next response.

Last edited:
Transformers are often rated at around 5% regulation at the specified current rating. So in the transformer dialog box, select the RMS V button. Enter Edcor's voltage and current rating. This assumes that the ratings are for your actual mains voltage. If not you can adjust the output voltage by the percentage difference.

Play with these and you will see what you need, it will become obvious. The learning curve is steep but quiet short.

Sheldon

Alright, getting closer to understanding, but another newbie question; how do you set your mains voltage in PSUD2? I seem to recall when I installed the program it asked me and I accidentally but 240V instead of 220V. I can see under the options tab how to reset the mains frequency, but not the voltage. The transformer I'm looking at is:

EDCOR Electronics Corporation. XPWR172-120/220

120V/220V 50/60Hz transformer with 600V (300-0-300) at 200mA.

I think I'm modeling it correctly, I put 300V and .2 amps in as the specs when I edit the transformer but it seems it's modeling based on 240V instead of 220V. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program but it keeps my original settings instead of asking for new ones.

If you're checking the box [...] next to source res. in the transformer settings you can enter the supply voltage. I assume that for the program transformer primary voltage = mains voltage.
I don't think they would allow running a 220V rated transformer or even a 120V rated one on 240V mains voltage.

Cheers,
Martin

How important is low PS ripple in either the pentode or triode driven versions of this circuit? I don’t have any 20+ Hy chokes but I do have plenty of single power pentodes that I could use as a single tube regulator to get a low ripple supply. Would that be worth the trouble or is 6-10 Hy enough in this case.
Thanks,
Marty

How important is low PS ripple in either the pentode or triode driven versions of this circuit? I don’t have any 20+ Hy chokes but I do have plenty of single power pentodes that I could use as a single tube regulator to get a low ripple supply. Would that be worth the trouble or is 6-10 Hy enough in this case.
Thanks,
Marty

I am using 10H 200mA for my GU-50 SE amp. It seems adequate with ZERO hum on the high efficiency Fostex 206E.

BTW, my setup is 5U4G-22uF-10H-3300uF-150ohm-3300uF-47ohm-50+50 oil caps.

The transformer I'm looking at is:

EDCOR Electronics Corporation. XPWR172-120/220

120V/220V 50/60Hz transformer with 600V (300-0-300) at 200mA.

For that transformer, enter 300V, 0.2A, then click in the "off load voltage" box.

With those values, I get 315V and 75Ohm

The transformer is rated at 120/240 (you use either, depending on how you wire the primary - it doesn't change the rating). If your line voltage is 125, then multiply your results by 125/120. In this case you would use 328V/75Ohm for your sims.

Sheldon

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.