Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

that's a great chassis. the only trouble may be that they are worth over a grand on ebay if in working order. I got my sx-3700 for 125 cdn several years ago.
There is a relay on the sansui? board behind the amp boards that may be protection circuitry. you will have to connect the new amps to that system if you want it to work. Did you have to connect directly to the outputs to get sound?

found a schematic, it does have basic speaker protection built in as well as a separate 57v regulated supply for VAS stage.

Last edited:
Yes, the value was a consideration but I couldn't resist the build. :)

There is an Omron relay for speaker protection but there are some other connections on the existing Sansui boards that aren't used with the new driver and ops boards. So there are some "to make it work" kind of connections. An amp control board would just finish the build nicely I think. If there is room.

Then of course stencil a little "Powered by Vzaudio" logo in a corner of the top. ;)

The VZ control board looks like a great option if you can fit it in there. THe problem becomes the VAS power supply board that look like it shares the same PCB.
You may be able to cut the board removing only the Protection circuit but I doubt it would be that easy.
with a little extra work, it may be possible to remove all the protection parts and piggyback the VZ control board on top of the Sansui board

I have the Tribute 3000 driver and OPS boards installed in The Sansui Ba-2000 chassis It is running nicely. I haven't connected it to my good speakers yet as my biggest problem was connecting the new boards to the old driver board supply and protection system. The basic soft start works but I have no speaker protection at this time. I think its a candidate for the " 21st century control board".
I'm very happy with the results. Thank you Valery for the design and assistance.

Jeff what is the size of the new control board. I have a spare amp control 4.3 12/13/15 but the new board may be easier to fit in.

Whoa! :D I really like the build, as well as the fact that this good old piece of metal from the legendary brand has got a new life :)

The chassis is in good condition - the whole thing looks very cool to me.

Jeff will consult on the control board options - I think we've got some rather compact ones, designed for VHex+ amplifiers, normally occupying relatively compact 2U cases.

We will quickly add the required board to our new website then - not all of them are in place at the moment ;)

Couldn't I just disconnect the 33v taps to the protection board and disable it. The only connection between the driver supply and the protection board which appears to be a ground connection for the protection circuit.
I don't need the space left by the unused protection circuit. I added 2' to the length of the chassis for the driver and ops board installation. So there is about a 4" x 5" space by the speaker outputs.

The old protection circuit and the driver supply are on one board with separate transformer taps and only 1 connection between them that appears to be a ground connection. So I believe I can disconnect the existing protection circuit.

I have a choice of 2 locations for the new protection. One is near the speaker outputs and is a space 4" x 5" with maybe 2" height clearance. The other is at the front of the amp to the right of the meters but separated by steel panel. This space is about 5 1/2" x 5" and
1 1/2" height clearance.

This is what V5.2 control board looks like.

Cheers,
Valery

Attachments

• Control_Board_V5.2_Silk_4b23bff7-f06a-47e5-a7b1-036c376cc82d_2048x2048.jpg
    Control_Board_V5.2_Silk_4b23bff7-f06a-47e5-a7b1-036c376cc82d_2048x2048.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 356
  • Control_Board_V5.2_Picture_2048x2048.jpg
    Control_Board_V5.2_Picture_2048x2048.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 366