Reverse engineering Krell KMA 160

Project is coming along nicely. I repaired the original equipment, and it works great. I'm almost finished with my first board, and the second one has a few parts on it as well.

Full-resolution photo (1.7MB, 2272x1704)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,433
X.G. said:

Post #19

Thank you very much,jwb

Encouraging by you,I work hard at writing a post to share my experience/idea which repair/build a normal PP power amp.;)

But my English is poor....:bawling: wish to finish it in a week.:xeye: :hot:

X.G.

cause I had no time to write the post in English,I just spent 6 hours to post the thread on here.

Share my methods to repair/build a discrete power amp

sorry for late.

X.G.

J A P A N E S E S E M I s

jwb said:
I am frustrated in finding replacements for 2sk163 and 2sj44. 2sk170 and 2sj74 look like good substitutes, but I need to find them from a reliable supplier, and both in the BL grade.

I can supply both K170BL and J74BL (usually).

The 2SK163 also seems available to me, but not the J44, J43 is but grade on these may or may not be selectable and may or may not be the one desired - but this can be checked.

There needs to be a reasonable quantity, unless I already have them in my bins already.

So, let me know

(bear at bearlabs dot com - for email)

_-_-bear

Viva la resistance. It'd done, and it works great. The only hacks I made were where I used a TO-92 (actually E-line) MOSFET where I had put a TO-220 footprint, and I accidentally specified 100V Schottky rectifiers where I really meant to use 200V. In the end I used a 1000V 1N5408G.

Note that my board has substantially better heatsinking than Krell's. The original KMA-160 must have had a reputation for blowing up the drivers. On the board I fixed, the strip of metal that passes for a heatsink runs in excess of 85C.

Full-resolution photograph

Back to the listening.

Attachments

• foo.jpg
    foo.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 2,218