Return to Vinyl - and a decent turntable

Joined 2015
Paid Member
For the record (!) I have this:

1691112453277.png

It is adequate as they say.

I guess the joke is: how fast does it go?

At least it is compact.

I am enjoying the journey. I get to attempt to repair the Sony TT next week.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ntable-seeking-to-repair.399876/#post-7365840

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Anyone seeing the Project Debut III on sale for $250!! That sounds like a hell of a deal
I guess that narrows the search somewhat, though the offer would gave gotten me if I was there.

4 interest-free installments, or from $22.47/mo with

So then, do I have to audition a turntable before I buy? What about the amplifier and speakers?

I visited this place the other day, very nicely set up, and auditioned a system. Turntables from $200 up, equivalent. I did not want to audition if I was not buying, but the CD recording I listened to did not sound that impressive, and I am not impressed by brand name heavy amp/receivers with those LCDs, not so far. Open reel decks - didn't even ask.

Attempting to embed a link to a turntable on that site: Looks great, but I think I need a trainer turntable..these things are too high end.

1692065086572.png

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Narrowing the Search Once More

At the moment, these are the requirements for the next turntable.

Must Have
Neat appearance
Moving Magnet replaceable cartridge
Anti-skating and tracking force adjustment
On-board Phono stage with option for line out.
Stylus lowering mechanism (non-automatic, non -auto stop OK)
Belt drive or direct drive
Internal belt (inside plinth)
33 and 45 RPM switchable
Location: From Europe, Japan or countries where shipping is less costly, or the resident country
Condition: Used/box opened and fully working condition

Nice to Have
Preferred USB Output to FLAC or USB out to computer ( already have a working AD converter, I can always upgrade )
Automatic mechanism

Price:
Less than ....

ChatGPT keeps recommending the Audio-Technica AT-LP60X. FYI

Joined 2015
Paid Member
In other news, I did make my trip to Bangkok. Prices of turntables are high, as imagined, no sense in buying one here. The Audio Technica Sound Burger is here, as well as some other models.

Visiting an used vinyl store was the experience. I heard a great sounding jazz record, Earl Klugh, and bought it at once. The other three were Boston - Third Stage, Chaka Khan and one other that slips my mind.

The sound was through some smaller speakers, but with a proper turntable and cartridge.

With a good turntable, cartridge and amplifier and speakers, the quality of sound is steps ahead, obviously, of what I have at home. The power, dynamics, and finesse of the entire system is a step above, as imagined. That is my listening impression.

Included are some pictures of a horn like thing and a large large speaker that put out good bass but I could not identify. The records were tested on a Lenco like turntable with a ceramic cartridge but there was no choice.

Available at main MBK mall
1693356253060.png

Used and New Vinyl store and the large horn. How does one find space for this

1693356302742.png

1693356106780.png

Narrowing the Search Once More

At the moment, these are the requirements for the next turntable.

Must Have
Neat appearance
Moving Magnet replaceable cartridge
Anti-skating and tracking force adjustment
On-board Phono stage with option for line out.
Stylus lowering mechanism (non-automatic, non -auto stop OK)
Belt drive or direct drive
Internal belt (inside plinth)
33 and 45 RPM switchable
Location: From Europe, Japan or countries where shipping is less costly, or the resident country
Condition: Used/box opened and fully working condition

Nice to Have
Preferred USB Output to FLAC or USB out to computer ( already have a working AD converter, I can always upgrade )
Automatic mechanism

Narrowing? The list is sufficiently general that it could be cooked down to "In search of belt drive or direct drive, new or secondhand". I noticed a couple of things that I wouldn't set as requirements in a list of mine: on-board phono, and internal belt. I haven't paid close attention to this thread for a while so I don't know what the problem with an external belt would be. I do think that on-board phono is entirely unnecessary, as there are so many affordable and compact phono preamps available, and if you choose well, it should be able to outperform what comes with the TT. But here's where I'm going with this:

Your budget of $200 sounds low for a new turntable: that might need to be doubled or tripled to rise above the crap that's released into the bottom end of the market. So if you need to stay at $200, that pushes you more towards secondhand or, more particularly, vintage, where there are any number of fine models still in circulation, and with no fixed prices, you could even, with sufficient luck and perseverance, pay far less than $200.

So, if you do look at vintage, and mainly I mean 1970s and 1980s turntables, that probably excludes on-board phono outright. But it's no loss.

It does give you a shot at automatic operation, as many fully automatic turntables were released in those years. Automatic's not for everyone, but I like it, and if a deck has any automated functions at all, I prefer fully automatic. Otherwise, I'm happy with fully manual. And I do use both. The main thing to bear in mind with those older automatic turntables is that they'll often need some work to get the mechanism tuned up. And then, if it's something heavily electronic like a Denon DP37F or 47F, they can have additional issues - though when they're working properly, they're great.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
The automatic function still works on the Sony 333 turntable so I suppose these things last longer than say the motor. Automatic turntables are safer for me with needle drops and auto - stop.

This will not be my final turntable (I hope). Once I get the system sorted out - an interim system - and can handle adjustment and cartridge changes and so on, then I will be ready for $350 or so. I can always buy and sell these on the vintage market, depends on where I am living in the next 6 months depending on job location. It is all in the air.

So, if you do look at vintage, and mainly I mean 1970s and 1980s turntables, that probably excludes on-board phono outright. But it's no loss.

What phono amp would you recommend?

The automatic function still works on the Sony 333 turntable so I suppose these things last longer than say the motor.

Motors seem to do pretty well. I haven't encountered an old turntable with a non-working motor yet.

This will not be my final turntable (I hope). Once I get the system sorted out - an interim system - and can handle adjustment and cartridge changes and so on, then I will be ready for $350 or so.

Are you saying you've set a goal to buy a $200 (max) interim turntable, and then later to step up to $350? If so, I don't see much purpose in that. Both $250 and $350 are a decidedly modest outlay. As far as new turntables go, you can probably forget it: that was actually thrashed out at the beginning of this thread, now that I've gone back and looked.

With vintage, almost anything is possible. Over the last couple of days, I have seen a few decent models online in Japan for well under $200 (not auction), and also clapped eyes on one at a local shop. A couple of the units in question were Denon DP3000, and okay, no arm, so also no cart, but that's a trivial obstacle. The point is, is a turntable like that worth having, and I think many people would tell you yes. There are plenty of other models/brands that are equally good for the same budget here.

Your problem above all is location. Short of a visit to a country where turntables are plentiful, you're going to have to pay shipping, and possibly customs fees, and that cost could easily match or exceed the price of the turntable. But there it is.

What phono amp would you recommend?

I don't have sufficient experience, so you'd get better information by trawling the forums and looking at some roundups online. The one I use was a kit (the subject of its own DIY Audio helpdesk, if you want to narrow it down), and eventually I will build a tube phono amp, also from a kit - just because I like tubes, and I like kits.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm still saying this is your best bet. Add 50 more bucks to your budget. This is not a toy like most everything else equal to or less than. I bought my daughter a AT160. Not impressed at all. Wish this deal was there when I bought the AT. BUT i'm really doubting that you are serious about it. Spending way to much time on this thread for a hundred bucks or so.

https://www.turntablelab.com/collec...ject-debut-iii-phono-sb-turntable-piano-black