Return of the ESS hump

Had a Benchmark DAC-3 too. Soundstage was forward and towards the middle. It used SRC4392 to upsample everything to 24/192 (actually a little higher than 192 -- maybe it 211kHz?). After the upsampling was a custom filter in FPGA, then into the dac chip with ASRC still enabled, but DPLL_Bandwidth set to a low number. Harmonic distortion compensation was hand calibrated for each unit. Topping D90 was preferred over DAC-3, even though there were some audible problems with the Topping at vocal frequencies and higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
closed account
Joined 2022
Had a Benchmark DAC-3 too. Soundstage was forward and towards the middle. It used SRC4392 to upsample everything to 24/192. After the upsampling was a custom filter in FPGA, then into the dac chip with ASRC still enabled, but DPLL_Bandwidth set to a low number. Harmonic distortion compensation was hand calibrated for each unit.

all I know and if you remember it had amazing low end detail.

but besides that yes it was forward and flat

and the timbre was off from the midrange up.

not as much as the Topping D90SE I tried.
that one was horrible.

the benchmark DAC3 I at least had some enjoyment with. Would put it in and out of my system.

amazingly the topping D30pro which uses the Cirrus flagship chip was insanely better than the D90SE.

Unfortunately with low output impedance switched resistor dacs, filtering the dac outputs before the I/V op amp to prevent overload tends to increase distortion due to dac internal CMOS resistor nonlinearity. Sometimes a little bit of filtering there can be the lesser evil though.

Last edited:
Markw4 is probably referring to the dac within the DS modulator.

Attachments

• ds_adc.PNG
    ds_adc.PNG
    20.9 KB · Views: 84